Perfect Union banner

Accelerator 5.7x28

14K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  JGM 
#1 ·
I just bought an excel 5.7x28 accelerator and have shot it 400 times with different ammo. The best grouping was with american eagle and shot about 2 inch groups at 100 yards. The fnh 40 grain ballistic tips shot 4 inch groups and the fnh 28 grain bullets shot 6 inch groups. However the l.e. And military 28 grain bullets would not all hit an 8 inch target at 50 yards. Does anyone have this rifle and what results did you get?

#2 ·
I shot the 5.7x28 again yesterday with the same results. However, when changing to a leupold scope i discovered the screws on top were loose. I tightened them and put the new scope on. The first 3 shots at 25 yards were nickel size. The next 4 of 6 shots hit inside 1 inch at 50 yards. The third group hit inside 3 inches at 100 yards with a 15 mph r to l wind. Excellent. All ammo was 40 gr american eagle.

I tried the fnh 27 gr l.e. Only again and scattered 30 shots at 25 yards over 10 inches and all of them perfectly sideways imprinted on the target.

I think i am making progress and i like the gun now.

#3 ·
Once again i shot the 5.7x28 accelerator with american eagle 40 gr bullets and it shot great. Once again the fnh 40 gr ballistic tips performed poorly. When i figure out how to send pictures, i will do it.

I am hoping someone else has some experience with this rifle in 5.7x28 to share.

#4 ·
I was shooting the 5.7 with the 40 grain american eagle and was doing great at 25 and 50 yards but not so at 100 yards. I noticed the top screw at the back was loose again and the accuracy went bad. So i took it apart and cleaned it and used removable loctite on the screws this time.

It shot great again at 25 & 50 yards but not so at 100. That screw did not come loose after 100 shots. I noticed gouges in areas the brass contacted the aluminum parts. I hope this thing stays together because i love the caliber and size of the gun. This is not a quality gun as i hoped.

#5 ·
First, the screws(bolts) i mentioned were on the rifle, not the scope mounts. Second, while shooting with a military person, he said some green tip bullets were designed to shoot sideways to have more stopping power. The fnh 27 grain lead free bullets i shot said military and law enforcement only on the box and were green tipped.

I want the rifle to be more accurate. Yes i have a solid table and sand bags. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
This will be my last entry. I shot the 5.7x28 about 50 times tuesday with the federal 40 gr bullets and the best group at 100 yards was about 4 inch diameter. Poor. The 4 small screws on the sides holding the shroud all came loose and that affected the shots since they screw against the barrel. I'm done after 750 rounds. Anyone want a scatter gun?

#7 ·
Okay, one last try. Excel suggested taking out the small set screws on the sides and using a different loctite on the upper bolts. After my last shooting round while cleaning the rifle, i noticed the bolts were loose again. I will shoot again.

#10 ·
I paid $620 for this accelerator and i could not take less than $400 for it. I put it on a lead sled yesterday and it shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Then i changed to sand bags and it went back to 5 inch groups. The 6# trigger pull is the problem. I am pursuing changing that.

#11 ·
Constantly jams when ejecting shells. The clip falls down 1/8" after a shot or two stopping the next cartridge feed. Has done this all along. Still groups poor. 12-4-2014 sent it back to excel to examine. Lets see how long it takes to get it back and if they fixed it.

#13 ·
Yeah, they don't have the best reputation w/ the 22WMR version; I wouldn't have spent money on a version that requires even more expensive, hard to find & higher intensity ammo... but that's just me.

Best o' luck!

#14 ·
The .22 TCM uses the .223 case. It is chambered in a 1911 Dbl.stack platform. This is a much more efficient round than the 5.7. It also comes with a 9MM barrel and recoil spring. The Rock Island Armory 1911 is priced right as well. All components and dies are available from their Las Vegas warehouse.

#15 ·
This! Would love to see a 22TCM barrel for the CZ52 come to market...

#16 ·
I was pretty impressed with the .22 TCM when I shot one last summer. A couple months ago I bought a Rock Island .22 TCM/ 9mm combo and I'm still impressed with the round, also with the RIA double stack 1911. Mine came with an O.D. green Duracoat. This combo is accurate, reliable, 17+1 capacity and very flat shooting for a handgun caliber, and will burn through 1/4" steel where other typical handgun calibers just leave a smear. And one third the price of an FN 5.7.

Attachments

#17 ·
5.7x28

I studied the 5.7x28 ballistics before i bought the rifle and found the shells easily at several gun stores before deciding to buy it. It was a lot of fun to shoot that caliber in that short of a rifle at rabbits, but i expected better quality for the price. I read many good reviews on the excel 22 mag but only a couple on the 5.7 rifle. I still don't have it back yet.

#20 ·
After keeping it for 5 months, excel replaced my barrel, bolt, and firing pin. It shot 75 times with only 2 bullet jams. Thats good. It shot good at 30 and 50 yards, but 6 inch groups at 100 yards. I believe the 6 pound trigger pull is too much to overcome to shoot accurately. I still like the 5.7x28 caliber and the feel of the gun, but its going to be for short range only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.