LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44   #1
Points: 8,959, Level: 63 Points: 8,959, Level: 63 Points: 8,959, Level: 63
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Weapons handling

This post is kinda out of the blue but I was at a local fun store where a guy was looking over a weapon and didnt seem very comfortable. Which reminded me what I would always tell my ex-gf. Accuracy is only a small part of the game when it comes to weapons. You need to get comfortable with the action, safety, sights, etc. You can do all this at home with no ammo. Just work the action, dry fire, disassemble, reassemble, clean, modify, etc. That way, if you do get a malfunction you have an idea on where to look. Or if you have sweat or blood in your eyes you can use your energy to focus on the threat and not the reloading process.

Watch a zombie movie and blast some zeds.

Sorry if this comes of as TAP-esque but I figure this might make some guys feel better about not getting to the range as much as they would like.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16   #2
Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43
Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6%
Last Achievements

TAP-esque, Hah! Well maybe it does sound TAP-esque but it makes a good point. One certainly doesn't need to be tentative with his weapon handling yet we see lots of folks who are at the shops and the ranges. I'm not going to be out in a foxhole at my age but if I was I would want a buddy who knew his stuff in there with me. It wouldn't be encouraging at all to see him dithering with his firearms.
bmcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:32   #3
Points: 1,956, Level: 26 Points: 1,956, Level: 26 Points: 1,956, Level: 26
Last Achievements

Growing up, Daddy wasn't around to 'learn' me any gun-lore and I was too 'distracted' in my youth to do anything serious or worthwhile such as serving my country, so the shooting sports (and a sense of civic duty/contribution) came into my life later.
One has to start somewhere, so have some patience with (us) noob's. Dry fire practice is essential no matter what skill level has been acheived, no?
jukk0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 00:34   #4
Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by jukk0u View Post
Dry fire practice is essential no matter what skill level has been acheived, no?
No. I've never intentionally dry-fired any of my guns.

I've actually found that one shot a day has been the most beneficial of my rifle training tools.

...nuff said.
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17   #5
Points: 430, Level: 8 Points: 430, Level: 8 Points: 430, Level: 8
Last Achievements

We dry fired all the time at Army basic to learn trigger control. You put a dime on the end of the rifle and practice pulling the trigger without making the dime fall off.
Scout Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 00:32   #6
Erin go Braugh
Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29 Points: 2,446, Level: 29
Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7% Activity: 8.7%
Last Achievements

Dry fire drills and snap caps are awesome!
theboonedockssaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 14:03   #7
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

I practice dry mag changes all the time, while watching TV...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:39   #8
Points: 3,023, Level: 33 Points: 3,023, Level: 33 Points: 3,023, Level: 33
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

When I decide on a new weapon to buy, my handling of it at the shop is pretty minimal. I am concerned with fit and potential fit issues...can i fix them? How are the irons? I realize my battery of arms with the new one will be embarrassing at best, so a simple check of the chamber is pretty much it and make sure it's on safe. A cursory slow function check to make sure it works is about it. Stock okay? If it's a new gun does it look new? Quick look down the barrel on bolt actions...easy enough to do.

I learn the rest at home. If I have a question, I ask it and expect an answer that will get me to the next step in the above checks. Generally, I will already be mildly familiar with how it functions, but specifics come later with practice and training for me. I won't ever impress anybody at a gun shop and am okay with that.
justasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:39   #9
Points: 1,348, Level: 20 Points: 1,348, Level: 20 Points: 1,348, Level: 20
Activity: 13.1% Activity: 13.1% Activity: 13.1%
Last Achievements

I fondle my weapons all the time. Drives my wife nuts!
Oh well, sometimes a guy must make a choice!

In all seriousness, without intending to, I've become familiar enough with all my guns to disassemble and reassemble them in the dark. I can find, load, and engage without allowing any intruder enough light to avoid the coffee table, much less take a shot at me. I do recognize that casual comfort can set up a safety error, but intimate knowledge is required to foster good habits while on auto pilot. It's a balancing act.
scottybaccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 00:14   #10
Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I always do a ton of research before I buy a gun, reading reviews, learning how it works, and watching videos of how to assemble and disassemble for cleaning and maintenance. But as much time I put into learning about the gun before hand, I find it takes at least a couple days of safely handling and drilling with a gun to start feeling comfortable with it.
IslandTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57   #11
Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%
Last Achievements

It's good to do research & read review before buying, watching video is also a good learning process about gun you buy.
davidjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 15:03   #12
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I fondle my weapon all the time. Drives my wife nuts!
Oh well, sometimes a guy must make a choice!

In all seriousness, without intending to, I've become familiar enough with all my guns to disassemble and reassemble them in the dark. I can find, load, and engage without allowing any intruder enough light to avoid the coffee table, much less take a shot at me. I do recognize that casual comfort can set up a safety error, but intimate knowledge is required to foster good habits while on auto pilot. It's a balancing act.
you know - every time you "take matters into your own hands" god kills a kitten... that's what has your wife all bent outa shape...

think about the kittehs!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-06-2012, 15:30   #13
#1 true dumb M-F'ing SOB
Points: 9,204, Level: 64 Points: 9,204, Level: 64 Points: 9,204, Level: 64
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
think about the kittehs!

That explains a lot of things...
Old 08-06-2012, 18:04   #14
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

I'm responsible for a helluva lot of dead Kittens...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-24-2012, 18:19   #15
Points: 19,067, Level: 87 Points: 19,067, Level: 87 Points: 19,067, Level: 87
Activity: 34.5% Activity: 34.5% Activity: 34.5%
Last Achievements

Talking A little known fact !

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post

I'm responsible for a helluva lot of dead Kittens...
So am I !
Attached Thumbnails
Weapons handling-cid_7_1_0_9_0_20120711101701_011208c8%40gmail_com.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 22:26   #16
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
So am I !

excellent! I gotta get one of those

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2012, 21:08   #17
Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by usmcronin View Post
This post is kinda out of the blue but I was at a local fun store where a guy was looking over a weapon and didnt seem very comfortable. Which reminded me what I would always tell my ex-gf. Accuracy is only a small part of the game when it comes to weapons. You need to get comfortable with the action, safety, sights, etc. You can do all this at home with no ammo. Just work the action, dry fire, disassemble, reassemble, clean, modify, etc. That way, if you do get a malfunction you have an idea on where to look. Or if you have sweat or blood in your eyes you can use your energy to focus on the threat and not the reloading process.

Watch a zombie movie and blast some zeds.

Sorry if this comes of as TAP-esque but I figure this might make some guys feel better about not getting to the range as much as they would like.

That sounds like a good idea. Its always better to get some experience than no experience and if there is something you can be doing even if you dont have the time to go to the range then making yourself more comfortable and knowledgeable with your guns is a good substitute for sure.
GoldCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 19:05   #18
Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1
Activity: 32.8% Activity: 32.8% Activity: 32.8%

It is so unlikely that the rifle will ever be needed, not even a 1 in 10 odds thing, as compared to the pistol being needed. So, until your up close, really swift pistol stuff is top notch, the rifle should wait, especially the centerfire rifle. I can see working with a .22 rifle a bit, as you build handgun skill, cause the handgun stuff can take many months to build up to a decent level of ability.
Donnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:32   #19
Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20
Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Donnel View Post
It is so unlikely that the rifle will ever be needed, not even a 1 in 10 odds thing, as compared to the pistol being needed. So, until your up close, really swift pistol stuff is top notch, the rifle should wait, especially the centerfire rifle. I can see working with a .22 rifle a bit, as you build handgun skill, cause the handgun stuff can take many months to build up to a decent level of ability.
Some of us are pretty good with handguns but choose a long gun when the flag goes up because of the inherent accuracy. We don't play averages, we live in the real world where almost anything can happen at any time to anybody anyplace. Out and about hand gun is more practical for convenience sake but at home your choice is only limited by your collection and ability to use it.
old grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:55   #20
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

A handgun is for when you don't have a long gun handy...
or your long gun is empty, disabled, or otherwise unavailable.

if you know you are going into harms way - bring a long gun

there is a reason a handgun is referred to a "sidearm"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-26-2013, 22:10   #21
Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

"The handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the shotgun or rifle you shouldn't have left behind in the first place." --Clint Smith
Firearms
Tools of rural living
By Massad Ayoob

...nuff said.

Last edited by Win_94; 01-26-2013 at 22:11. Reason: general editing
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:38   #22
Points: 17,909, Level: 85 Points: 17,909, Level: 85 Points: 17,909, Level: 85
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Guys,,, the two most important functions to learn with any Semi auto platform is how to lock the bolt/slide open and how to remove and reinsert magazines.

This is the entire basis of operating this type of gun and clearing any malfunctions you may experience, and you need to practice it until it is second nature. Thinking you won't experience malfunctions is just plain naïve. It will happen and usually at the worst possible time.

I highly recommend that you attend a real live shooting school that will teach you all of the basics. If you have never been to a shooting school or are not recent Military or LE where this stuff has been drilled into you, I assure you,,, You do not know how to run the gun.

Believe me I thought I did and at 52 years old (12 years ago) I found out quickly just how bad I sucked! It was a tough pill to swallow but I did and I got trained.

There is nothing demeaning about getting good training and in fact it will enhance your shooting greatly which is kind of what you're trying to do anyway,, Right?

Randy
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54   #23
Draw, Varmint!
Points: 5,251, Level: 46 Points: 5,251, Level: 46 Points: 5,251, Level: 46
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Last Achievements

Oh, wow! A bunch of wack-offs playing with their, 'weapons' on a gun forum. I guess that, sooner or later, it had to come to this! Now if some of you guys could get your minds off your genitals, perhaps, the original intent of this potentially very useful thread might be resurrected.

I often shoot at a public gun range. Believe me I've witnessed every conceivable gun-handling and safety mistake. Things I do to protect myself: when, 'the nutters' arrive?

(1) I'll often simply pack up and leave.

(2) I (almost) never take up a position on the left side of the firing line. Why? Because the first thing a, 'gun jerk' will do when he has any sort of problem with a firearm is to turn the gun sideways; and, for a right-handed shooter, point the muzzle towards the left side of the firing line.

(3) Call the police! I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who's misusing a gun. Sometimes I might say something like, 'You really shouldn't be doing that.' If the warning isn't heeded (as too often happens) then I simply draw my cell phone (instead of a pistol) and notify the proper authorities to what is going on.

The last guys I called out for shooting up state-owned target frames, 'just for kicks 'n giggles' chose to ignore the reprimand. There were 3 shooters; and I recognized one of them as a local police officer whom I occasionally shot with.

He didn't recognize me, and continued to shoot at the frames. I took out my cell phone, dialed the local Game Commission Field Office, turned to the three offenders and said, 'Officer, do you really want me to complete this call?' He looked startled; replied, 'You know who I am?'; and then told his friends to immediately stop shooting at the state's target frames.

Him, I cut, 'slack'. Other miscreants with guns I have politely warned. If they don't listen I simply take their license plate numbers down, make a phone call, and turn them in.

I had one shooter who insisted on firing his rifle across a well used walking trail. I told him twice that he might shoot some unsuspecting person; he didn't listen; and I didn't say anything more. The WCO who responded to that phone call couldn't thank me enough for turning him in.

The ugly truth about safe gun-handling is that ordinary shooters - even well informed ordinary shooters - break the gun-safety and handling rules all of the time! I've had many an afternoon at a public shooting range where I've left thinking to myself it's a wonder nobody got killed that day!

Truth be told: Those of us who like guns and spend a lot of time shooting ARE taking certain chances with our own well-being. (It, 'comes with the territory'.) However, as long as the other guy maintains good muzzle control and scrupulously obeys Cooper's #2 Safety Rule, I'm usually OK with him.

Dry-firing a weapon isn't really about safety; it's about improved trigger control, and preconditioning your reflexes. If I want to truly understand a firearm then I'll break it down into it's basic subassemblies and study how the one part relates to another. Jeff Cooper's seminal, 'Four Basic Rules Of Gun Safety' do NOT mention dry-firing; the Four Basic Rules emphasize thoroughly ingrained safe gun-handling HABITS, instead.

What are the three most like places that you're going to run into a, 'jerk with a gun'? (1) Gun stores, (2) public firing ranges, and (3) monthly gun club meetings. How do I know? I've got more than 60 years of shooting experience to draw on.

What never fails to, 'ring my gun safety alarm bells'? Anyone who draws a pistol for no good reason like: (1) 'Hey, want to see a really neat gun I just got!' (2) 'Can you tell me what my pistol is worth on trade-in?' and, (3) 'Here's how you do it!'

The closest I've ever come to, 'getting it' was when a (former) close associate took out his brand new G-19, raised it right up my central body line, and was in the process of uttering, 'Look at the beautiful Glock I just got, ........ ' when I suddenly moved on him, and almost broke his wrist as I took the weapon away from him.

The man was furious! He shrieked at me, 'What are you, insane?' 'Don't you know that I have arthritis'; and, 'You just caused me a great deal of pain!' 'You know my Glock isn't loaded!' I had possession of his Glock; and, yes, I DID know that the magazine was out of the gun; but in, 'The Split Second World Of Gun Safety', I knew better than to wait to verify.

When I racked the slide on his brand new Glock a bright 'n shiny 115 grain FMJ round bounced across the top of the bench! Man, talk about, 'being sheit-faced'! The guy lowered his head and looked at his shoes for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he uttered only one word, 'Embarrassing!'

That evening ended what had been a close 5 year friendship. Me? I don't give second chances on anything that's either a flagrant violation of trust; or, otherwise, really important. (Like my life!) Guns will always be guns; and people will always be people. You can't trust the one; and you can't trust the other.

This is, 'Why' I'm so (for lack of a better word) paranoid about gun safety, 'Why' I always carry my Glock in C-3; and remain, just a little bit, more alert than those around me. Not every gunfight is an instantaneous close quarter ambush; in fact, of those armed encounters I've been in, I saw every one of them coming, and was more ready to engage than the other guy(s).

As someone once told me, 'Always expect the other guy to do the wrong thing; and you'll seldom, if ever, be disappointed.' (He was right!)
Old 06-10-2014, 14:45   #24
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 24,407, Level: 95 Points: 24,407, Level: 95 Points: 24,407, Level: 95
Activity: 23.6% Activity: 23.6% Activity: 23.6%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Good story LG!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote