LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 19:23   #1
The Snake Guy
Points: 2,854, Level: 32 Points: 2,854, Level: 32 Points: 2,854, Level: 32
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%
Last Achievements

Looking for info

Here's the deal. I've always been a pretty good shot. Being raised by a Marine sharpshooter will do that for you. So I joined the Army, went infantry, then Airborne, then Ranger. Trained with some of the best shots at Ft Campbell and Ft Benning. But I always shot an M24 chambered for .308.

I know the Mil Dot scope with that rifle and that round like I learned it yesterday, even though it's been 20 yrs. Problem is, I don't have an M24 anymore. But I do have a Model 700 .30-06 with a Mil Dot varmint scope, and I'm soon to fit a 24" 1:10 bull barrel on this rifle, and want to see if I still have what it takes to kill things at 1K+. This will be my first .30-06 except for firing a few rounds from older weapons, so I might as well say I'm totally unfamiliar with the round, except what legends I've heard or read about.

So my question is this. Rather then relearn specific rounds and their holdover at various ranges, I was hoping there might be a little info out there on the trajectory for this round, shot from this rifle. ??? All I find is going out to 500 yds, and I wouldn't even need a scope for that close.

I realize that different rounds made by different makers are ALL going to act differently, but I'm hoping something out there will get me close, so I don't expend a bunch of expensive ammo trying to fine tune my eye. If I can get something that will put me close, then I'll create my own chart and go from there.

BTW, I'll probably be using the M2 Ball surplus ammo made by Lake City. I have a 100 rounds of that already, and I'll be getting me a couple hundred more soon. Unless you go match grade, this is about the most consistent ammo out there as I understand it.

So, any help? If I had the money to blow, I'd just go shoot and figure it out, but as we all know, times are hard. I'd rather waste as little ammo as possible until I get this rifle pegged.

Thanks in advance.
Rick

~Hemingway~
SublimeBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 23:53   #2
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

you can try this as a start.
.30-06 Springfield for sniping

couldn't find anything for the M2 round.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04   #3
The Snake Guy
Last Achievements

Thanks friend. That's a start. It's the first site I've seen that even shows info past 500 yds. I was beginning to think the .30-06 got weak over the years, or people these days just can't shoot past 500 yds.

Thanks again!
Rick

~Hemingway~
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41   #4
tap
Points: 1,798, Level: 24 Points: 1,798, Level: 24 Points: 1,798, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

there used to be a site called "The Hide" for sniping info, haven't checked it in years, cause I think that sniping is bs for survivalists, basically, especially with a noisy bolt action. A suppressed autoloader is the way to go, if you have any sense. You can also ask at CSP Forums, there are many very knowledgable guys who post messages there.
tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12   #5
The Snake Guy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by tap View Post
there used to be a site called "The Hide" for sniping info, haven't checked it in years, cause I think that sniping is bs for survivalists, basically, especially with a noisy bolt action. A suppressed autoloader is the way to go, if you have any sense. You can also ask at CSP Forums, there are many very knowledgable guys who post messages there.
And if you had any sense you'd actually read my post before responding. I never mentioned I was going to snipe but I have been trained to do so if necessary. And suppose I was out to snipe? You really think you can hear me chamber a round a full K away? You wouldn't even hear the shot except for the sound the round makes as it passes through your head.

As for your BS comment, a lot of what you learn as a sniper can be directly applied to competition shooting and or hunting. This is more my interest. FYI. Can you say the same about your survivalist crap? And another FYI, an auto loader does not suppress near as well as a bolt action rifle.

I'll check out the info you provided for me. But in the future if you're just going to clutter my thread with opinionated non factual hearsay, I'd just as soon you bypassed the thread. I'm looking for good info, not regurgitated online opinions.

Thanks
Rick

~Hemingway~
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35   #6
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by SublimeBoa View Post
Thanks friend. That's a start. It's the first site I've seen that even shows info past 500 yds. I was beginning to think the .30-06 got weak over the years, or people these days just can't shoot past 500 yds.

Thanks again!
Rick
I think it's cause most info out there is for hunters -and (for the most part)
most hunters really have no business shooting at game beyond 500 -the risk for a bad shot placement and a wounded animal getting away is just too high.
I guess ammo manufacturers assume people shooting competitively at 1k have enough money to sight in the rifle the hard way.
and the 30.06 is no longer a military round... so that resource is pretty dried up.
I bet you if you could find an old timer from WWII who was a sniper - bet he remembers his ballistic tables (or maybe still has them) but that would be tough to come by.
might want to look into memoirs and autobiographic writings by folks that were behind the gun with glass on it through WWII, Korea, and early Vietnam.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46   #7
Super Awesome Member
Points: 8,396, Level: 61 Points: 8,396, Level: 61 Points: 8,396, Level: 61
Last Achievements

Federal Ammo has a program you can download for free that gives you holdover and trajectory info on all of their ammo. You can set up the parameters for well over 500yds IIRC
Old 05-10-2011, 14:08   #8
The Snake Guy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
I think it's cause most info out there is for hunters -and (for the most part)
most hunters really have no business shooting at game beyond 500 -the risk for a bad shot placement and a wounded animal getting away is just too high.
I guess ammo manufacturers assume people shooting competitively at 1k have enough money to sight in the rifle the hard way.
and the 30.06 is no longer a military round... so that resource is pretty dried up.
I bet you if you could find an old timer from WWII who was a sniper - bet he remembers his ballistic tables (or maybe still has them) but that would be tough to come by.
might want to look into memoirs and autobiographic writings by folks that were behind the gun with glass on it through WWII, Korea, and early Vietnam.
I'm fiercely competitive, but I don't plan on doing any high dollar competition stuff. Just amongst friends, or the occasion small match that comes around these parts. It's mostly the internal part of knowing I still got it...or not. LOL Not enough to spend a lot of money on all the best goodies and ammo though.

I'll talk with my Dad and see if he knows anyone personally that can help me out. The memoirs or autobiographies is probably a good suggestion. That never even occurred to me.

I didn't really figure I'd find "exactly" what I'm looking for. But this being the computer age, and so much info available, even if most of it is just rubble, I had to try and see what I find.

Originally Posted by bcavin View Post
Federal Ammo has a program you can download for free that gives you holdover and trajectory info on all of their ammo. You can set up the parameters for well over 500yds IIRC
Thanks for that. Does it allow for you to input variables such as twist, barrel length, etc. ? Sounds like a really awesome program if it does. Is it on their website?

Thanks for the replies.
Rick

~Hemingway~
Old 05-10-2011, 14:30   #9
Super Awesome Member
Last Achievements

Federal Premium - Downloadable Ballistics Application

I just checked, and I couldn't find any place for twist on the variacle chart. Maybe have to dig deeper
Old 05-10-2011, 14:36   #10
The Snake Guy
Last Achievements

I'll check that out a little later after I wind down from work.

Thanks for the link.

~Hemingway~
Old 05-10-2011, 14:50   #11
Super Awesome Member
Last Achievements

no problem
Old 05-14-2011, 19:00   #12
The Snake Guy
Last Achievements

So here is where I'm at on this. I'll just print me up some 3x5 cards as ballistics charts, and make my own. And again when I get the heavier barrel.

I think I've found enough to get me in the ball park. That's about what I was after anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

~Hemingway~