LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 16:59   #1
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Finally did it

Wow, this place is dead! Anyway, I am now signed up for a 3 gun shoot for August 1st of this year. The guy who runs it sends out the course outline two weeks before the shoot, so I'll decide what the heck to bring with me. It's actually a 4 gun shoot, as two of the courses require a pistol caliber carbine. I hope to get my new CETME wrung out before hand, I might just shoot the He Man set if they'll let me shoot my 10mm in place of a .45 ACP. This should get interesting!

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28   #2
Points: 2,850, Level: 32 Points: 2,850, Level: 32 Points: 2,850, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Great fun and good training. I want to do one of those someday. Let us know how it goes.
atomic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10   #3
Last Achievements

In case anyone was holding their breath over this, my partner and I placed last in this particular match. I shot my second match this past weekend, and placed second to last due to equipment malfunctions and shooter brain fart (forgot extra mags). Soooo, I'm doing better and I look forward to the next match.

BTW, I ended up using a newer AR-15, a Taurus PT 840, and my pimped Remington 870 for the second match. The stupid mags on the Taurus failed on me on the first course, but they worked great on the range the next day! Feh. It's still new (two weeks old) and I've only run about 200 rounds through it, so it's still being broken in. This kind of shooting comp is a good way to wring out shooter and equipment.

Jim
Old 03-04-2010, 14:28   #4
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
In case anyone was holding their breath over this, my partner and I placed last in this particular match. I shot my second match this past weekend, and placed second to last due to equipment malfunctions and shooter brain fart (forgot extra mags). Soooo, I'm doing better and I look forward to the next match.

BTW, I ended up using a newer AR-15, a Taurus PT 840, and my pimped Remington 870 for the second match. The stupid mags on the Taurus failed on me on the first course, but they worked great on the range the next day! Feh. It's still new (two weeks old) and I've only run about 200 rounds through it, so it's still being broken in. This kind of shooting comp is a good way to wring out shooter and equipment.

Jim
Sounds like you had a good time. I have been over at the 600 prone shoots myself.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11   #5
Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

recently got a FN SLP MK1 for 3 gun, made some mods
On 6/27 I'll see how good or bad I do.
prc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22   #6
Last Achievements

The last match I went to, I broke out the 6.8 SPC AR, since it has a scope, my used Rem 11-87 I got from Tactical Gorilla, my Ruger 10/22, and a used Glock 35. The 10/22 is the bane of my existance. It worked fine for months, and now the stupid magazines don't work unless there are less than 20 in them. Between the 10/22 and a bad reload on the Glock, I would have placed in the top 10 and not the bottom third, but I didn't place last, so that's a good sign. One of my big problems is shooting pistol and bad magazines. I will be going to the range every weekend until the next match. And if I can sell one of my uppers, I'll be getting an AR57 upper and that should fix things. I know this is supposed to be fun, but it's like playing outfield and using a glove that falls apart randomly. I think I'd have more fun if I could get things working 100% of the time. It would cut the frustration level in half!

Jim
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46   #7
Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

On the 27th I attended a shotgun only match. 5 stages, the SLP ran flawless. I myself had a good day finished 11th overall. This type of shooting sport is VERY fun. Next match is on the 18th pistol only.
prc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 13:25   #8
Points: 5,625, Level: 48 Points: 5,625, Level: 48 Points: 5,625, Level: 48
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Jim,
Is no one helping you to get your equipment squared away? The whole thing about the match is the old hands should be helping the new guy get his crap into one sock.

Have you worked every one of your mags? Smoke the lips and work the slide over them one at a time, remove any rubbed metal until they all do not rub. Push down on the slide release and run the slide back and forth over every clip locked in place.

Make up a dummy set of cartridges, no powder or primers. Shuck the rounds, full mags, for every mag, bend the lips if needed to get the mag to feed flawlesly. In, lowers the bullet. Out, raises the bullet, left out goes left up, etc. A properly set up auto gun should feed empty cases, as run through the sizing die.

Remove the barrel and feed every loaded match round into the chamber, set out any rounds that do not drop in and drop out. Reassemble the gun.

Just some things to start.
Ed
Rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 20:08   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
Jim,
Is no one helping you to get your equipment squared away? The whole thing about the match is the old hands should be helping the new guy get his crap into one sock.

Have you worked every one of your mags? Smoke the lips and work the slide over them one at a time, remove any rubbed metal until they all do not rub. Push down on the slide release and run the slide back and forth over every clip locked in place.

Make up a dummy set of cartridges, no powder or primers. Shuck the rounds, full mags, for every mag, bend the lips if needed to get the mag to feed flawlesly. In, lowers the bullet. Out, raises the bullet, left out goes left up, etc. A properly set up auto gun should feed empty cases, as run through the sizing die.

Remove the barrel and feed every loaded match round into the chamber, set out any rounds that do not drop in and drop out. Reassemble the gun.

Just some things to start.
Ed
Some of the guys have 10/22s and they all said the same thing. Try another magazine. Most of them have gone through about 5 mags before they got a good reliable magazine. I just said screw it, and bought a Keltec. 9mm Glock mags are highly reliable and I don't have to mess with them or the rifle, just keep them clean and they work. I'll fool with the 10/22 during squirrel season.

Jim