Shooting range fun - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lone Gunman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 20:13   #1
Registered Member

Shooting range fun

I'm new to the AR platform and have a .223 that I wanna start shooting more. I'm used to sighting my hunting rifles in on paper but feel like shooting the AR at paper could get old quick so looking for ways to have fun with the AR at the range, more so for solo shooting but any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Cshurleylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04   #2
Draw, Varmint!

Ain't nothing wrong with paper! Besides unless you own your own shooting range you're stuck with shooting at approved targets only; and THAT is, almost always, paper!

One of the things I do in order to keep rifle shooting interesting is to fire a round onto my (almost always) paper target; and, then, I'll try to group all of the rest of my shots into, around, and as close as possible to the first bullet hole on the target.

Depending upon the range rules you might also try your hand at firing ACCURATE multiple shots. I like to shoot doubles and triples in order to see just how tight I can keep the group. When I've got the space — one of the ranges I regularly use reaches out to 300 yards — I'll keep firing at smaller and smaller targets that are increasingly farther and farther away.

Every now and then range management will install 12 and 18 inch square steel targets out on the range. Metal targets that, even from 300 yards away, you can still hear go, 'Ka-Gong!' every time they're hit. That's fun, too!

With all that you've still got to learn about important marksmanship skills like: breath control, trigger stroke and let-off, and controlled, carefully coordinated, muzzle movement then — if you're genuinely serious about REAL rifle shooting — you should be far from being anywhere even near bored.

I've been shooting rifles (and shooting them very well) for more than 1/2 a century now; and, for a serious marksman like myself, nothing about using a rifle ever seems to get old except, perhaps, me!

PS: Shooting for hunting, and shooting for marksmanship are NOT the exact same skill set. The closest, 'crossover event' I know of is one of my gun club's, 'Running Deer' shooting contests. (A large paper target is set up on either a trolley, or a rope slide and, then, pulled across the 100 yard target line.) 'Running deer targets' are not really precision marksmanship events; but these contests do test shooting skills on moving targets!
B/J/M likes this.

Last edited by Lone Gunman; 02-16-2017 at 04:20.
Lone Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:36   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the input! I don't have anything against paper lol, I practice with my hunting rifles regularly to keep my form and breathing and accuracy up to par and I find that fun. I guess what I'm looking into getting into with my AR is a faster and more action type of shooting at the range. I know there is a couple of ranges in my area with tactical bays.
Cshurleylt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2017, 07:39   #4

Get an old golf shaft, hang a Campbells chicken noodle or tomato soup can on it right in front of the backboard, if allowed. (100 - 200 yards)
don't play golf, buy some 1/2" dowel rods. 20 or 30 rounds is about all one can handle.

A friend and I shoot Shotshells (at shotshells) aim little shoot better.
Just be sure to pick up you trash.
B/J/M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34   #5

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
If you can, get to an appleseed. Learn the steps to making a shot. I'm not saying you can't, but even I re-learned some stuff that I was neglecting/forgetting to do. From that point on, learn to call your shots. And how to zero your rifle with one shot. I find that when I work at it, and do my best, I can shoot pretty durn good. But I can also flub shots, too. Train/practice as if your life depends on it.
After all, we are riflemen!
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote