Perfect Union banner

LC '09 .223 brass

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  storage_man 
#1 ·
i noticed in quite a few places that the only available new LC in .223 is from '09. anyone have /use this ? some of the retailers in describing it go further stating LC '09 brass is manufactured by federal. i'm assuming that federals military cases would not be the same as their regular cases. the LC stuff is to military standards, correct ? again, anyone try this 09 military stuff ?

#2 · (Edited)
Lake City arsonal is being managed by the Federal Cartridge division of ATK (prior to that it was managed by the Alliant Powder Div of ATK).

Cases marked "Federal" come out of the Federal plant
Cases marked LC came off the Lake City production line. I'm sure that they have a stipulation in the contract that they can sell overrun cases (since the begining of 2010 anything with a 09 date would be surplus, come Jan 1st, 2011 anything with a 10 HS will be surplused)

#4 ·
The LC brass weighs just about the same as other brand commercial cases, so it's not the heavy military cases that you find laying around at the range.
This means it has about the same case capacity as other commercial cases.
I bought 1000 rounds of LC for $150 at Graf & sons about a month ago on sale.

It does need to be preped like most cases, that is trimmed and the flash hole de burred, but it has done fantastic in my Mini. If you don't like to prep cases, buy Lapua at $20.00 per 50 cases.

Just be aware that a lot of the primer crimped military cases that you find are heavier and have less case capactiy so you should start about 10% lower in the charges in those cases and work up.

Using a max load in a military case could result in having way too high of pressure.

As cheap as the LC 09 cases are, I've stopped bothering with the mil surp cases.

Best Regards, John K

#6 ·
hmmm.... $145 bucks a thousand for once fired brass? I presume its tumbled??

If so... I am sitting on a GOLD MINE... Or a brass mine, at least... I have thousands of rounds of milsurp 223 brass...

Thankfully I DO NOT plan to sell any of it... at least not until I run out of room, cause I have doubled my stash volume. LOL

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.