Perfect Union banner

+p or .357 magnum round?

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Mr. Snuffalupagus 
#1 ·
On the golf course last week, my fellow golfers and I encountered a mountain lion on a putting green. We decided not to play the round and let the lion play the hole.
Needless to say I want to carry a pocket pistol that will do serious damage to the lion if it appears to be getting ready to attack me. Is a .38+p round sufficient or do I need to go up to a .357 magnum round?

#2 ·
I carry a J frame S&W 649 loaded with Winchester white box 110gr. jhp like you buy at wally world. This round splits the differance between full house .357 loads and the +p .38 loads so it's more controllable in a pocket pistol but still gives good ballistics. This round should fill the bill for what you describe.

#5 ·
Rereading my post I should have been more specific. The load I mentioned is a .357 magnum load. It's at the lower end of magnum ballistics and is more controllable than full house .357 loads.
edit to add. If you already have a .38 I'd use either a +p 125gr or the old FBI +p 158 gr lead SWCHP.

#4 ·
Lions are pretty thin skinned and rounds that work well on humans tend to work well on lions.

With that said, when I am in lion country, and carrying a revolver, I favor the .357 Magnum in a revolver loaded with 125 grain JHP's that travel at 1450 fps out of a 4" Barrel. I also have a 38 Special in my pocket and while it wouldn't be my first choice, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. My load of choice in 38 Special is the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain JHP.

Biker

#6 ·
While we are focusing on the gun in this thread, I think it would behoove us to also look at our tactics when we encounter a lion so that maybe we don't have to shoot.

Stand tall, wave your arms and use a command voice. This makes you appear larger to the lion, but probably won't work against a mother and her offspring. Waving your arms, with a golf club in hand has been found to be effective here, and yes we do have lions on our golf courses. They have become somewhat conditioned to humans, and I contend that is a bad thing. They no longer see humans as a threat and have lost their fear, respect, for humans. That sets the stage for a tragedy, IMHO.

Biker

#10 ·
4" is too big, although my ex-wife would think 4" is too small, but that's a different subject. I think I'll get either a S&W 36 or 60. The 36 has a carbon steel frame and the 60 has a stainless steel frame. What's the difference of the two compositions in terms of durability because I am going to shoot them alot?

#11 ·
Modern stainless steels are to coin a phrase, "Not your Daddy's stainless". They are just as tough as blued, and though I like the blued look, my next one will be stainless as I dont perspire, I POUR. Blue & sweat dont agree with each other. Buffalo Bore makes a good 158gn LSWCHP in +p that while soft is gas checked. Or, one of the modern jacketed hollow points should do nicely.

#13 ·
BikerRN gave us all a good description on how to address, and behave too a mt. lion. but if i may, let me add this. my wife and i have raised and owned many a big cat. from cougars (same as a mt lion),to siberian tigers, mt lions are a class 2 cat for a reason. (lions and tigers are calss 1). class 2 cats you are likly to survive an attack from. class 1 cats your very very unlkly to live through. if you SEE a mt lion you can usually scare one off. but if are attacked its probably because you didnt see the cat. they attack by stealth. they grab hold of the shoulders with front paws and kick with their rears, doing this they disembowel their prey. they may hold on with jaws but they dont kill with them. remember these cats are usually only about 80 to 100 lbs for a big one. its fairly easy to actually grab these cats and throw them off of you. or for that matter to throw yourself down on top of them as if your bodyslaming them. if all else fails thumb to the eye, or full on punch the cat in the face. you can easily fight off these cats.

the fact is that your unlikly to be able to get to and use your pistol if your attacked so just keep your wits about you and fight. if you just "see" one, you dont need to shoot it. so just enjoy the fact that your one of the few who has gotten to see one of these majestic animals in thewild today.

#16 ·
The bigger the better, Id say.
I carry a 357 magnum mainly for big dogs. I load my rounds just the the edge of what the wife can handle, which ends up being about a +p.
I dont think Id go any less than a +p and if its a big cat I think Id personally be looking for a bigger caliber to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.