Perfect Union banner

Any other 500 MAG users out there?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kynardsj 
#1 ·
Just wanna know if anybody here has anything in this crazy fun caliber. I've had mine since the first 50 hit california, and unlike most folks, didn't turn right around and sell it the next month.
It's like a passport to anyone else's guns. Everyone wants to shoot the beast, so I usually trade a magazine of someone else's for 2-3 400gr lightwieghts.
Went straight through a volkswagon last year, shot from the back and the 600gr bullet turned to a freakin grenade in the engine, ripping chunks out all throught the cab and out the windshield.

Anybody have any experiences with the king of handgun rounds?

#2 ·
I got to shoot one in Idaho a few years back. There was a show put on by a gun club there, and you could shoot any gun that the various makers had on display if you bought the ammo there. It was $2 a shot back then! So, not being made of money, I shot exactly 3 rounds through one. I honestly did not think it bad at all, as the gun weighed as much as some rifles, and had the muzzle break too. I have shot .44 Magnums that seemed to kick harder than the big Smith did. And that is the limit of my experience with the .500.

#3 ·
I got my first 500, a 500 PC Hunter, as a retirement gift to myself 6 yrs. ago. I put a 2x Weaver scope in QD Warne mounts on it, so I can shoot with the scope or twist a couple of levers and shoot with iron sights. I have since gotten a 4" and a 5" JRS. The JRS is the one I currently shoot the most. I mostly shoot mine with low to mid power ammo. I have also found that padded bicycling gloves works great at damping the recoil of the beasts. Mine are very accurate and fun to shoot.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I have the 500 mag in an 8 3/8 Smith and a 20 inch Encore. With the proper bullet/powder combo there's nothing on this planet I would be afraid to hunt with them. I only shoot my reloads and have a plinking load, 367 gr swc @ 1250 fps and then my business load, 350 gr JHP @ 1697 fps. Both could be hotter but at the speeds listed they shoot great. Just an awsome caliber.

#5 ·
Tom C:
Do you like it scoped? What is the furthest you've hit anything with it? I pulled a leupold and warne base off a friend's 629 and put it on my 500, it shot pretty fine but was just too unnatural when shooting without a benchrest. Took it right off after 20 or so rounds.

Has anyone tried it in the handi-rifle? I'm thinking about getting one just to have a nice bear gun for less than $200

#6 ·
My Smith is good with iron sights, with me shooting it, out to about 60 yards or so. The Encore is scoped with zero at 50 yards= zero at 100 yards. Haven't had the opportunity to take a critter with them yet. Some of the guys on Graybeard Outdoors shoot the NEF's in a 500. You might get some reviews there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.