Perfect Union banner

Can you see it?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jimbobborg 
#1 ·
So, while waiting for a total of 8 hours to get new tires today (thanks NTB!) I walked over to the local gun shop looking for a concealed carry piece. I finally settled on a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in .357 Magnum. Got it for $450 and it came with 50 rounds of ammo. Should have shot it while I was there (they have a range) but by this time it was past 7:00 pm so I brought her home. Nice, tidy little package. Now to get an IWB holster. Pics when I find the camera.

Jim

#3 ·
Quick range report. .357 Mag FMJs from S&B, 158gr. If this is what the previous owner shot all of the time, I can see why he sold it. Too much recoil and flash. I put 25 rounds downrange, my girlfriend put 5. Neither of us cared for it. I tried 158gr Lead 38 Specials, still didn't care for it. The gun shot high with both rounds.

I tried my 38 JHPs I loaded up for my S&W, much less kick, and it shot to the sights. Then I tried Hornady Critical Defense in 38 Special. Nice round, accurate, doesn't kill me with recoil. Shot to sights. 110gr JHPs with the plastic nose cones. I like this, I'll use it in both my 4" S&W and the Ruger.

Jim

#7 ·
Every Ruger revolver I've ever owned is built like a tank. I doubt you could ever blow them up (although it would be foolish to try for obvious reasons) but the downside is that they tend to weigh-in on the upper end of the scale compared to the competition.

Congrats on a nice acquisition. It should serve you well for the rest of your life and maybe several generations after you if they take care of it.

If you want to see what I think is the ultimate packing artillery, check out the Super Redhawk Alaskan. Mine's a .454 Casull and is surprisingly packable while being the absolutely strongest and most powerful thing in so small a package. It grows on you even though it jolts your hand. You just keep coming back. I still can't feasibly justify why I bought it, but you can never tell...........I might be in grizz country sometime.:(

#8 ·
If you want to see what I think is the ultimate packing artillery, check out the Super Redhawk Alaskan. Mine's a .454 Casull and is surprisingly packable while being the absolutely strongest and most powerful thing in so small a package. It grows on you even though it jolts your hand. You just keep coming back. I still can't feasibly justify why I bought it, but you can never tell...........I might be in grizz country sometime.:(
One nice thing about having a CCW in Virginia is I can carry a separate handgun when I'm out hunting. So theoretically, I could have the shotgun for squirrel and a handgun for deer. Since there's a minimum barrel length for handgun hunting (I think 5") I have to carry either my Kimber 1911 or S&W 610, both of which are 10mms. If I could find the Ruger in a 5" barrel I'd snap that up in a heartbeat. But I'm not going out of my way to find one.

Jim

#13 ·
I had to go with a cheap IWB holster for now, I'll be able to get the good one next month. My permit came Saturday and I carried most of the weekend. Couldn't take her to church, Maryland, or Arlington, but had her with me the rest of the day. Can't take to work either, stupid regs. I'm getting IWBs for my Taurus PT840 next, and I need to find the holster for the Kimber. I hate moving!

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.