Perfect Union banner

S&W 63 vs 317

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom C. 
#1 ·
It appears that Smith is making the 63 again in a 3 inch version, and they also have the ultra light 317. I'd like to get one of them but could use some feedback if anyone has experience with them. Leaning toward the 63....the ultra lights don't feel right in my hand....too many years shooting steel, I guess. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
>>?It appears that Smith is making the 63 again in a 3 inch version<<

Yikes, do you see what they're asking for those things? You can buy a "real" Model 63 (sans "Hillary Hole") for less. ;)

#4 ·
I have heard of problems with spent brass sticking in the chambers of the the 317. I have had several 63's and like them all but I will take my 4" 617 any day.
The 63 is a good gun but I never could hit with it very well. My 617 it seems I just can't miss.
I'd take the 63 over the 317.

John

#5 ·
I have a 5" 63 and a brand new 3" 63 as well as a 317. The 317 has an aluminum cylinder and frame, while the 63s are stainless. I tend to feel the aluminum guns are made for carrying, but not much shooting. I feel I can shoot the stainless guns forever and not damage anything. My 5" 63 is nicely accurate, but I just picked up the 3" last Saturday and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.