Perfect Union banner

Rough Appraisal

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fish 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me a rough idea of what a S&W pre-29 four screw would be worth if it was in 95-99% condition? I've got to sell mine. I can't bring myself to shoot it and I can't keep a gun I can't shoot...thought I could be a collector but its just aggravating.

#2 ·
I'm the same way with guns that hold a place on the wall but not in your heart. I'd probably come to the same decision as you did.

You might check the latest edition of Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values to get a better idea of its value in the collector market. I have the 26th edition and it says the 5-screw (4 on the sideplate, 1 under grip and 1 in front of the trigger guard) at 95% is $1800.00 and 98% is $2150.00. It came in 4 and 6-1/2" barrels and the rarer 4" brings a premium. 5" is rarer still, and with bright blue finish, diamond target stocks in wood case - NIB $2500.00 - add 25% for nickel.

#3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I took it to one of the local dealers here today, and it seems that once you break into the 98-100% condition category, the value is more a function of how bad somebody might want it. The guy told me maybe 2500-3,000 for the right buyer (even more if I find a S&W maniac). Except for a tiny tiny scratch on the left grip, the gun is as new. No matter, its got to go. Again, I appreciate the response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.