Perfect Union banner

Ruger LCR

10K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  billdeserthills 
#1 ·
I just picked up this little bee stinger and it sure can be with +P's

I'm impressed with the butter smooth trigger pull. As advertised.

13.5 oz means you don't feel anything whether it's in a pocket or on your ankle. I got it for the wife to carry. (at least that's how I rationalized it!) :cool:

Now I can think of a lot of uses for it and I may have to.... you know.

Holsters are limited at the moment, but I understand some SW J frame holsters will work.

I surprised myself with the grps I got at 15 yds. Took a few rds to get to know her, but for close quarters it will put 5 where you want them.

Ya, I know it wants to be a real revolver when it grows up, but ya have to love this little guy. :D

See less See more
#9 ·
well some j-frame holsters will work. i dont think any thumb break holster will work.. I just tried two of my J-frame holsters one is an old ducheimer tortilla style holster the other is a bianchi 5BH both thumb snap types neither work. I did buy a uncle mikes size 4 pocket holster and it fits very well. I think holsters for hammerless j-frames will work.

#5 ·
been eye balling one myself but im having trouble getting past the idea of polymer on a revolver. atleast the frame is alloy lol. you see the new taurus polymer revolvers total polymer frames WTH?? havent they ever heard of gas cutting??? I just couldnt see polymer standing up to gas cutting as well as alloy or steel.. lol

#6 ·
I looked at the Taurus at the gun show. Nice revolver and will go bang if you ever needed it to.

I bought the Ruger for the steel frame and reviews all said that the Hogue grips helped with the recoil. That was my experience as well. The trigger as I said is butter smooth.

As everyone I'm sure appreciates, they will all do the job. IMHO, these pea shooters are personal defense/back-up revolvers and ya hope you never need them. If you do, they won't wear out before your done.

Polymer pistol debates are endless! :D I love my Glocks.

#8 ·
pos is right!!! lol

as of today Im the proud of owner of an LCR too!! I wasnt quite sold on it but the salesman at the shop gave me a free test run of 20 rounds on their rental LCR. Thats trigger is what sold me smooth as butter by far the best DA trigger out there. never firing an LCR before today and being able to keep 20 shots in the black of an NRA B-4 20 yard target at 7 yards I was quite impressed and attribute my good shooting to that sweet trigger.

#12 ·
I might have actually sold my brother on a LCR tonight. He wants to apply for his permit soon, when he is eligible in his county (just moved last year) and wanted just a small gun for hiking mostly. I began showing him some revolvers just to let him know what was out there and after showing him the other rugers I remembered about the LCR and showed him that (all online). He kinda though the LCR was perfect for his hiking needs, which he is more worried about 2 legged predators than bears or anything. He isnt looking to shoot it a ton, probably just when he visits home and I can take him shooting, just looking for protection.

Now the process of him figuring out what his county requires and waiting. I do hope to get some hiking in with him this spring, as well. Gotta buy a decent inexpensive pack first...

I still wouldnt buy an LCR as I prefer my Kel-Tec P-11 and its higher capacity, but I understand his desire for as light as possible for hiking. I would also personally want .357mag capabilities, and a hammer. But thats why so many different guns are available, to help us each find their own :)

That taurus looks like garbage, and weighs 5oz more than the ruger!

#13 ·
OathKeeper...My wife carries an LCR...bought it about six months ago. She has no complaints and loves the gun. I find the trigger to be a lot eaiser and smoother than my S&W 642. She added an XS dot front sight and carries it in a Galco Stinger holster. I also bought a Stinger for my 642. The Tritium dot front sight makes it a lot quicker to acquire a sight picture, plus it shows in the dark. Might want to check it out.

http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/index.html

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3870&GunID=495

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

#19 ·
I like most lasers, but what I dislike is the position of that laser. Let me explain. Good gun discipline is to leave your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. This prevents accidental mis-fires from a bump or a flinch. However if you do that, your indexed trigger finger will most likely block the laser. I do not understand why crimson Trace doesn't place the laser high up on the left side.

Having said that, I think the laser is THE ONLY way you can accurately shoot the gun. After all its' sights were terrible for me. To be honest they are the worst sights I have had the dis-plesure of using, but then again very typical of a revolver on the market today. If I owned one I'd LOL take some white out and make some dots. The LCR has no such dots on the rear or front sight. It was very hard for me to aim to be honest. One other thing all of my shots went low even when I really really took my time to get the aim perfect. I don't know if it was a sight issue or my grip or what.

I got very good results shooting the LCR when I brought my grip up as high as the pistol would allow. However I ended up putting alot of pressure into the web of my thumb on my shooting hand. The first shot was dead on, the 3rd shot I found myself flinching because it hurt that bad... so I went back to a low grip. I sacrficed some accuracy for comfort. I'd probably be better off wearing a glove because I have big hands and the LCR's handle is tiny.

I did like the very consistent smooth trigger pull a+ for Ruger. But I experienced something I never before felt to such a degree and that was a tremendous pain in my trigger finger. However I did fully enjoy the consistancy of the trigger pull. I don't mind so much that it was double action, we're not shooting precision rifles here. Plus my current carry pistol is double action, so I'm used to it. I did enjoy the LCR's trigger pull more than my current carry pistol.

Great weight though, I'll give it that. But the lack of weight is part of the reason it has such a felt recoil. I'd like to try an all steel J frame smith and wesson now to compare. I'm wagering the S&W has slightly less recoil, to spite they are very much the same size. I also don't think the added weight will matter because comparing it to my fully loaded keltec p11 with 10 rounds of 9 mm, the revolver with 5 rounds will weigh less.

With my accuracy issues and hand discomfort, I decided to pay attention to the muzzle flip and suprisingly there was almost none. That's a good thing that means in the hands of a shooter a little tougher than me, the gun can be deadly.

One thing I told the guy at the range, basically in a self defense situation if you are shooting off 100 rounds you are probably going to go to jail LOL so it's really only the first 5 rounds that matter anyways. Basing my opinion solely on the first 5 rounds it'll definetly get the job done. At this point I need to do some more research before I trade in my curent carry pistol but I don't think the LCR will be its' replacement. I want to try the Sig p238 but I do want to get a revolver for the house so my wife can shoot it. She's got a problem with the technacilities of auto loaders and it doesn't get any more simple than a revolver. I'll probably get her a 357 and then load it with 38 spl. The added weight of the 357 frame will greatly reduce her recoil.

#20 ·
I was hot to get the LCR with the Laser, so I borrowed my brother's non-laser LCR and took it along with my 442 S&W to the range. Shooting standard velocity ammo, I found that the recoil from the LCR hurt my hand noticeably more than the S&W, which had Uncle Mike's grips . Considering that the Crimson Trace grips are thinner than those on the standard LCR, my ardor for the gun has waned somewhat.

#21 ·
Totally, I sold one to a woman last month. I spent some minutes carefully explaining to her that the LCR has been crafted to be used as a Defensive weapon and would not be much fun to shoot at the range. She doesn't like it any more, sob sob. Fortunately you were able to borrow the one you tried out

#22 ·
what the hell do you expect from a gun that weighs 13 oz firing a moderate powered handgun cartridge??? people need to quit whining and get over it... these are self defense pistols not recreational shooters... when the adrenaline is pumping you will never remember the recoil let alone the report.

#23 ·
My girlfriend has a Charter Arms Pink Lady. I've shot several loads from 135gr to 154gr and noticed that the heavier bullets tend to kick more. Now I realize that's a "duh" statement but apparently some folks, like the above lady, don't realize this. Now my S&W 4" revolver tends to shoot high with anything above 135gr bullets, so I reload my own 125gr ammo and it shoots to the sights and doesn't kill me with recoil. Unfortunately, my girlfriend's PL won't take my reloads, so she's stuck with factory ammo. Which is fine with me, as I can use her brass.

Jim

#25 · (Edited)
Well, got a letter in the mail last week saying I need to be a US citizen to get the permit. I put my place of birth in (my father was US Army) so I had a foreign country in that box. If I had put my SS# in (I didn't) I'd have the permit now :( I sent it back Friday, hopefully I'll have a permit in hand this week.

Jim

#26 ·
I carry both a Ruger LCR 38+P and a Ruger LCP 380 auto for conceal carry. Both are nice little shooters, they are so light weight (13.5 ounces and 9.6 ounces) I can wear both at the same time plus additional magazines for the LCP and forget that I am carrying either of them. The LCR is great with a tuck in the pants holster and I like carrying the LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis holster in my back pocket. Another nice thing about the LCP is that you can comfortable fit three additional magazines in the "spare change" pocket of a pair of jeans, which holds them snug and they don't rattle against each other in your spare pockets.
I also have a Fobus ankle holster for the LCP, its all right. Sometimes I need to readjust it occasionally.

#27 ·
Well, so much for that idea. I am now the proud owner of a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. The shop didn't have the .357 version of the LCR and I got this barely used SP101 for a LOT less. Now I just have to get the permit, which still has not shown up.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.