45LC - Hunting/Self Defense Load - Shooting Sports Forum

Revolver Talk Revolvers only!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:28   #1
Son of the South

45LC - Hunting/Self Defense Load

Ok,first off I Do Not Reload,Never have!So my Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre 45LC I have only had a short time.I bought 45LC 250gr LRNFP Cowboy load for practice shooting.I am now looking for a Good hunting/self defense (Factory) ammo to use and need a bit of direction.This will be used as my side carry when in the woods.So All you single action 45LC enthusiast chime in ie: bullet type and grain weight??
Attached Thumbnails
45LC - Hunting/Self Defense Load-uberti-45-colt.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07   #2
Banned

pappa44, it appears that your Uberti hasn't any adjustable sights, so the best Hunting/Self Defense load will be determined by POA/POI. I don't believe that the Uberti is designed to handle 45 LC + P loads so I would advise that you try a few of the Jacketed Hollow Point Designs from different Manufacturers annotating which comes closest to the Point of Aim and actual Point of Impact at say 50 Feet, 15 Yards, or 25 Yards. The 45 LC is a nice round and is as effective for self defense as most 45 ACP's, however, it isn't a 44 Mag which would fit the Hunting Option much better. JMHO.

High Pressure .45 Colt loads

Remington High Terminal Performance Ammo 45 Colt (Long Colt) 230 Grain
pappa44 likes this.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 14:35   #3
Born 100 years late.

pappa44......my clone is built identically almost to your Hombre' (mechanically)
surprisingly, I get my best performance/ repeatable accuracy from the cheap cowboy loads, which mimic the loads the gun was origionally designed to handle.
I guess higher pressure loads just sort of fly all over coming from a low pressure gun.....
my favorite load all around is 3-D Blue brand 255gr LRN.....or flat nose if round aren't available.

since your sights are "fixed", you may want to spend some time figuring out how high your front sight needs to be to hit POA at your average desired distance, and file accordingly........
note the height of my front sight.......that gives repeatable "chest shots" at 50-60 yds with the ammo mentioned.
pappa44 likes this.

Last edited by Rockys Pop; 03-12-2015 at 14:51.
Rockys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2015, 18:32   #4

After the .380 pop gun thread

Everybody knows how I feel. A big chunk of hard lead is a man stopper and a great load for taking game. The hollow point jacketed rounds or specialty leafing man killers all imply you were looking for killing someone. The 45 long colt can be loaded waaaayyyy up for a rifle. I'm entertaining a .454 Casull next and the long colt drops right in for close in or practice rounds. You will have to experiment to find your accurate round ( oh darn) Nice addition!
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 20:15   #5
Operation:Mindcrime

Remember only specific firearms can handle some of the really hot loads. I.E. see Buffalo Bores ratings for an idea of what I mean.
pappa44 and Rockys Pop like this.

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:31   #6
Son of the South

[QUOTE=A/J/S/USNRet;881532]pappa44,The 45 LC is a nice round and is as effective for self defense as most 45 ACP's, however, it isn't a 44 Mag which would fit the Hunting Option much better. JMHO.

Funny you mentioned the 44 Mag!Was looking for one when I bought the Uberti 45LC.Got it for such a good price,just couldn't say no.You know how it is.LOL....Still have the 44 Mag on my Wish List,along with 1911,M1 Garand,Mauser,357 Mag lever action ect..ect..ect...So many to Want and so Few Funds!!Whats a man to do....LOL
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.

Last edited by pappa44; 03-13-2015 at 10:27.
pappa44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27   #7
Banned

P44, These revolvers were designed for the 260 grs, bullet in the 900 fps range when fired from a 7.5" barrel. The .45 Colt firing a hard cast deep penetrating slug served as a defense against big bears and mean men for 100 years.
The "Magnumites" caught shooters like the Asian Flu in the 1960s. I am not opposed to Magnums. I own and enjoy many of them. But, the facts remain. The .45 Colt factory round can still down big and small critters. My favorite side arm is a New Mdl. Ruger .45 Colt on a .357 frame firing a Linotype .260 RNFP at 855 Fps from a 4 5/8s barrel. I never feel I need more power. It has dropped wounded moose like an ax.
Attached Thumbnails
45LC - Hunting/Self Defense Load-img_0335.jpg  
Jeff F, dh1633pm, pappa44 and 1 others like this.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 13:56   #8
Born 100 years late.

DR ......I too have dispatched all manner of critters with a .45 LC
I also don't care much for magnums or any gun that kicks more than is necessary.
if a LC won't kill it (within useable range) it don't need killing.
pappa44 and Durango Ranger like this.
Old 03-13-2015, 14:55   #9
Banned

Rpop, The .45 Colt was designed by the Army to kill large Calvary Horses. A big horse can take a lot of killing. Why today with improved handguns and powder does a .45 Colt fall short when shooting critters over 1,000 pounds?
Old 03-13-2015, 18:05   #10
Banned

Just remember, a pistol is a Tool. Just like using a Screwdriver as a pry bar or chisel, it may work occasionally but eventually it's going to break. Stick to Standard 45 LC Loads, you wouldn't use many .357 Mag Velocity Loads in a 38 Special. The reason you get into Magnum Pistols is Because they are Designed with the proper Metallurgy and Strength required to consistently fire Magnum Level Loads and live to tell about it. JMHO.
Jeff F and pappa44 like this.
Old 03-13-2015, 20:22   #11

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
Rpop, The .45 Colt was designed by the Army to kill large Calvary Horses. A big horse can take a lot of killing. Why today with improved handguns and powder does a .45 Colt fall short when shooting critters over 1,000 pounds?
Some of the specialty ammo companies make .45lc that packs a serious punch, if you own a gun strong enough. Heck, the 454 is just a 45lc mag.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:19   #12

A round nose (in a lead non expanding bullet) is the worst bullet shape for self defense, and a round nose with a small flat point on top only a little better. A semi wadcutter Keith style bullet would be better, or as someone else mentioned one of the jacketed hollow point 225 grain loads by Winchester or Federal. The idea for self defense is to impart as much energy into the target as possible. A load that penetrates like all get out is not necessary for human targets. For hunting, penetration over expansion is called for. I use cast bullets for trail/hunting use in my Ruger Bisley .45, but they are a very wide meplat, at 335 grains are considerably heavier than the 250 grain Cowboy bullet, and are traveling almost 400 fps. faster. If you are not a hand loader and are limited to loads meant for a Colt or Colt clone like the OP has, check out these Buffalo Bore "Standard Pressure" loads. The company says they are safe for all Colts that are post war and all clones. There are four loads, two are JHP, one is a SWC and one is a full wadcutter.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...oduct_list&c=7
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29   #13
Banned

P44, Sorry did not know quoting the history of the .45 Colt would up-set you. When you depend on Wikipedia for your ballistic source it may differ. Handguns were developed for mounted Calvary. All handgun ammo including the .45 ACP was graded by it's ability to kill the enemies horses.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36   #14
Born 100 years late.

not the HSM by brand, but most any Cowboy load should Rock that Uberti.
I've also shot a few "more modern" loads thru mine, that seemed to increase recoil while reducing accuracy.....the worst were Winchester Silver Tip 230gr.
Not too bad are Win. SuperX LRN 255gr.

anything I say though, must be taken with the grain of salt that i'm NOT shooting paper at 25 yards but metal torso sihlouettes out to 75 yds and if it won't regularly "DONGGGGG" at 50-60 yds I give up on it.
pappa44 likes this.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:49   #15

The only thing I dont like about cowboys loads is the low velocity. Yea its a big bullet, but F=MA. I do like Fiocchi ammo though,
pappa44 likes this.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:22   #16

Originally Posted by pappa44 View Post
At $2.00 plus per round (Buffalo Bore),I Don't Think So!Thanks for playing...
You said you don't reload and had to have a factory load. If you want something that just goes bang, buy any old Cowboy ( low powered, dirty and generally, in my guns less than stellar accuracy, and right at a dollar a round) load. But you wanted something for self defense and hunting, which calls for a better than RNFP shape, and more steam than 750 fps. Yes, they are $2 a round, but how often are you gonna pop a cap on a deer or home intruder? 20 rounds, even after shooting a few for sighting in, should last you a while. I can load maximum .45 colt loads with a good bullet for cheaper than $2 a round, but I am a handloader.
Some people on these forums ask for a solution, then when you give them one, tell you that you are full of it. I'll say again, you don't reload, you want a good load for hunting or self defense, break down and buy the Buffalo Bore loads. This is not plinking ammo, but something that you will trust to save your life from a bear, cougar, or bad guy. Your life is not worth $2 for premium ammo ? Something like a 20 pack of W-W 225 grain JHP would do what you require but cost nearly as much as the Buffalo Bore.

Last edited by sandog; 03-15-2015 at 09:30.
Old 03-15-2015, 14:43   #17

[QUOTE=pappa44;881634]
Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
pappa44......my clone is built identically almost to your Hombre' (mechanically)
surprisingly, I get my best performance/ repeatable accuracy from the cheap cowboy loads, which mimic the loads the gun was origionally designed to handle.
I guess higher pressure loads just sort of fly all over coming from a low pressure gun.....
my favorite load all around is 3-D Blue brand 255gr LRN.....or flat nose if round aren't available.

This is what I use now Fiocchi 250gr LRNFP
Good load, It will get it done.
Old 03-15-2015, 14:56   #18

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
What you say is true, but, (I have had to put down more then my share of horses) with a .38 spl, or .357. You put it in the right spot and they sack up like a bag of potatoes.

Not a pleasant thing to do, but I'm a horsemen and horses are just a tool, sometimes $hit happens and you have to get a new tool. Don't get me wrong, I love my horses, but when they are suffering and its 1000's of dollars in vet bills vs , 500 for another horse a .50 cent bullet is cheap.
Old 03-15-2015, 16:19   #19

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
break down and buy the Buffalo Bore loads. This is not plinking ammo, but something that you will trust to save your life from a bear, cougar, or bad guy. Your life is not worth $2 for premium ammo ? Something like a 20 pack of W-W 225 grain JHP would do what you require but cost nearly as much as the Buffalo Bore.
Depending on the load, Buffalo Bore could beat up or break his gun.

BTW - right tool, for the right job. I dont reload, so I do what I need to do.

What I do for a living is irrelevant, but occasionally I need cat and bear protection - and always human. So depending on my local, this is my choice -

9mm (if certain issues require it) - 125gr sjhp
.357mag - 125gr sjhp, or 200gr hc trunc.
.44mag - 240gr sjhp, 240gr sjst, 300gr hc trunc.
.45acp - 185gr jhp

The HC is $1+ a round - BFD

Bear protection is not a huge deal, we have small bears. Hard cast 357 would likely do the job, but I would prefer the 44mag HC.
pappa44 likes this.

Old 03-15-2015, 17:20   #20

Yes, some Buffalo bore loads could do way more than beat up his gun, but the ones I showed the link to are rated as standard pressure .45 Colt. The very upper end of standard pressure to be sure. The +P Ruger only, TC only etc. are considerably over pressure for the Colt clones. But most of the bullets for those loads are made for a Ruger Blackhawk length cylinder and would be so long in a Colt or clone that the cylinder would not turn. The 335 grain bullets I load for my Blackhawk are loaded in nickel brass to be different from my mild Cowboy loads, but more importantly, so long that 3/16th's of an inch stick out the front of the Uberti's cylinder and keep it from turning. No mix ups possible. It's up to you whether you want to take Buffalo Bore's word that those four standard pressure loads are safe in a Uberti or Pietta replica. I don't buy them as I load my own. But you will not beat your gun up testing a couple, then carrying them for trail use, where it will be very unlikely to fire any more unless you REALLY need them for defense against critters 2 legged or 4 legged. Not like you will be shooting dozens and dozens of the expensive loads through your gun.
Seems like some would like a premium "carry often but shoot seldom" stout defense round, but like it to be cheap and low pressure too. You can't have it both ways. If you don't want to pay $2 a round for ammo you can trust your life to, or don't want something that's going to cause your gun to wear more, just shoot any ole mild "Cowboy" load. But at right at $1 a shot, even the cheap Cowboy loads aren't cheap. I can load excellent "Cowboy" ammo for under $15 a box, I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot near as much if I had to buy $45 a box factory loads. The .45 revolvers I currently load for are 3 Uberti's and the Ruger Bisley. Last revolver is not a .45 Colt but shoots .45 Auto with moon clips or .45 auto Rim without the clips.

Last edited by sandog; 03-15-2015 at 17:26. Reason: `
Old 03-15-2015, 22:28   #21
Born 100 years late.

edit.....nevermind, was petty and not worth typing.
something to the tune of :
Bustaframe Bore is some really cool ammo !!
especially when shot from a padded rest at an elephant or bad guy .
pappa44 likes this.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11   #22

[QUOTE=sandog;882029]Yes, some Buffalo bore loads could do way more than beat up his gun.

kaboom!

The +P Ruger only, TC only etc. are considerably over pressure for the Colt clones.

I guess thats why I would only stick to those firearms. Interesting how the S&W 629 isn't on the list, but it aint as tough, so oh well (dont own one so dont matter).

But most of the bullets for those loads are made for a Ruger Blackhawk length cylinder and would be so long in a Colt or clone that the cylinder would not turn. It's up to you whether you want to take Buffalo Bore's word that those four standard pressure loads are safe in a Uberti or Pietta replica.

For me I would never buy a replicas, it would alays be a Ruger.

Nice Schoffield clone. Would love it if the made a real one in SS, 6" barrel. and in .357mag.

Last edited by Scorpion of Mars; 03-16-2015 at 09:24.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:25   #23
Banned

pappa44, What I think the folks are trying to say is that one (1) box of personal protection loads won't break the bank. When you need all the horsepower and effective STOPPING power that your pistol can handle (most you will use is 6) that is not the time to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'm going to have to jump on the Buy the Best (1 box) of PERSONAL PROTECTION LOADS you can find, and Hope you never need to use them. Do not stop using your favorite (and cost effective) loads for everyday practice and Competition Shooting.

Point of contention example:
My 30-30 hardly ever goes to the range anymore, it's sole purpose is Hunting. Normally while Hunting I'll use only one (1) round maybe two. At that rate a Box of 20 lasts for 10 YEARS, or at least TEN HUNT's.

In the event that I needed to use the 30-30 for self defense the price of the 5 Rounds in the Tube are of no concern, the fact that they WORKED to SAVE MINE or OTHER LIVES makes those rounds PRICELESS.
pappa44 likes this.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53   #24

Not all "Bustaframe Bore" ammo is mega pressure that has to be shot from a padded rest. Their load that shoots a 255 grain SWC or 225 Barnes at 1000 fps. is an "in between" load. Pappa, you did ask for a hunting, self defense ammo suggestion. Premium handgun ammo is sold in 20 rounds packs, whether it be from Federal, CorBon, Buffalo Bore, or whoever. They don't even make you buy it in normal 50 round boxes, as they know you probably only want to test a few and the rest will be carried in the gun for duty or trail use, and would not want to pay the price for more than 20.
I also buy in bulk, 500 round bags of Starline brass and 500 round boxes of Meister or Oregon trail cast bullets. But they are for an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PURPOSE. The ones I load and shoot a lot of are for range, target and plinking. They are a 250 grain Round Nose Flat Point at a leisurely 810 fps. They are not something I would use for self defense or hunting, but hey, that's just me.
I am not made of money either. 500 rounds of factory Cowboy ammo, even at $35 a box, would amount to $350. I can load those same 500 rounds for half that. One of the benefits of loading your own, the other being I can load specialty loads like reduced loads for small game, or shotshells for snakes, etc. And I can "tune" the load to my particular gun for best accuracy.
We are talking two different types of ammo here for two different uses.
1) cheap. shoot a lot and it only has to punch a hole in a paper target or tin can.
2) not so cheap, shoot very little, but you are trusting it to stop a nice buck before it runs by someone else's deer stand, or stop a home intruder bent on harming you or your loved ones, or a rabid animal or charging black bear or the like.
It seems like you want to combine these two types, and have something that has awesome terminal ballistics and also be dirt cheap. Good luck on your quest, I am done here.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:57   #25

Thank you A/J/S/USNRet. I'm glad someone else realizes cheap should not be in the equation when talking self defense.
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.