Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32   #1
EastOutfitters
Points: 696, Level: 13 Points: 696, Level: 13 Points: 696, Level: 13
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%
Last Achievements

Before and after

I recently bought a two Herter's Model 45 powder measures both with matching stands. Both the measures and stands showed years of use and neglect.The first one was a M45P, a pistol measure, which throws approximatly 0--33g of H110, and looked like this;

The second measure was a M45, a rifle measure, which throws approximatly 0-70 g of H 4895, and looked like this;

The second measure came with two reserviors so I was able to replace the metal reservior on the 45P with an original reservior.Wanting to restore them, I removed the moving parts, the measure cylinders, caliberated rods and various nuts and powder spouts, and polished them. Then I used paint stripper to clean off the old paint and got all of parts down to bare metal. I could'nt find the Kennedy Tool Box Wrinkle paint lopcally, and decided to use black and green Rust-oleum "Hammered"spray paint. Shot them with three coats, and here's how they look now.

Because I plan on using differnt powders in them,and need to dump powders, I mounted them using long screws through a wooden base, and attach them using wingnuts and washers. I mounted them facing oppisite sides of the base for two reasons, 1. To balance the weight, and 2. So that each measure could be turned to the working side of the bench. When in use I secure the base to my bench using a quick ratcheting bar clamp.

Bye the way, I also made the gun stocks in the background, the lighter ones are Oregon Golden Myrtle one with Walnut accents, and the others are California Redwood Burl, one with Myrtle accents.