Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28   #1
Survival Nerd
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Basic Reloading List of Materials for Beginer

I've been shooting for many years now and would like to continue to do so. However with the expense of ammo these days, I need to getting into reloading if I am to continue.

I have absolutely no experience. Shopping around on Midway.com I find myself completely lost as to what tools, books, and supplies I will need.

I would like to (re)load the following calibers:
  • 9mm Luger
  • .45 ACP
  • 5.56 NATO

Can you veteran loaders please give a total noob like me a list of basic "must-have" tools etc.?

Here is what I've found while researching, is this the right list or can some of it be left out? Should something else be added?
  • Reloading Press (Single stage)
  • Die Set for each caliber (will I need 2, 3, or 4 piece die sets?)
  • Impact Bullet Puller
  • Scales
  • Powder Measure
  • Powder Funnel (does this come with the press?)
  • Case length Gage
  • Reloading Manual
  • Tumbler
  • Tumbler media
  • Media separator
  • Chamfer and Deburring Tool
  • Reloading Trays
  • Bullets (for each caliber)
  • Primers (what type? and are they the same for all the calibers I want to load?)
  • Brass Casings
  • Black Power
TechPrepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:00   #2
Points: 6,624, Level: 53 Points: 6,624, Level: 53 Points: 6,624, Level: 53
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%
Last Achievements

You will need these items
1 A press of some sort, tay away from the cheap hand presses, buy a good O type.
Some will say turret, some like Progressive, I like Dillon, but they are not cheap
2.Dies for the calibers that you will load, buy carbide for the pistol.
3. case lube, for the bottleneck brass.
4.A set of scales to weigh powder charges.
5. calipers to measure case length and oal.
6.A case trimmer for bottleneck cases.
7. a powder measure will speed up charging a lot of cases.
8. a deburring tool.
9. a hand priming tool.
10.MOST OF ALL A GOOD MANUAL Lyman, hornady, Sierra and others are good, along with the ABCs of reloading
11. I loaded for years without brass cleaning tools, I now use a Dillon brass cleaner and corncob media.
Some times some f the manufacturers will offer a package deal with a press and other tools for a good price.
These are the basics and have served me well for a number of years.
I have a Dillon SDB for pistol ammo, but a 550b would be better.
Rifleman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 16:52   #3
Survival Nerd
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Rifleman55 View Post
2.Dies for the calibers that you will load, buy carbide for the pistol.
What is the story with 2 dies sets vs 3 and 4? What are the various dies for? Which will I need for the pistol vs. rifle?
TechPrepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 23:54   #4
Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Buy the reloading manual first, then read it thoroughly. That will eliminate a lot of the questions you have.

...nuff said.
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27   #5
Points: 6,624, Level: 53 Points: 6,624, Level: 53 Points: 6,624, Level: 53
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%
Last Achievements

Win 94 is right
Usually for loading bottleneck cases two dies are all that you need, you resize the case in the first die and seat the bullet with the second.
With pistols you have an extra step,or two. For straight wall cases you resize the case then you have to expand the case so that you can start a bullet into the case, then you seat the bullet in the third die, and thenlightly crimp the brass so that they will feed, many prefer a taper crimp die for this, hence a four die set. I suggest a carbide resizing die for pistols so that you do not have to lube th bress. And yes carbide costs more, but it is worth it.
Rifleman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01   #6
Points: 4,490, Level: 42 Points: 4,490, Level: 42 Points: 4,490, Level: 42
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

To re-stress what has already been said: buy and read well a reloading manual. I find the Lee manual very helpful for beginners; it explains well many of the things "old timers" take for granted and don't think to mention.

I strongly believe a single-stage press is the best type for a beginner. It pretty much forces you to do each process in batches, but you learn reloading basics much better on a single-stage. Even after you switch to a progressive, you'll still want to have a single-stage around, so it's definitely not wasted money.

IMHO, the best "beginner setup" is the Lee single-stage kit. It's good quality stuff for a fairly cheap price tag. Not "the best", but certainly not crap. You'll probably end up gradually replacing some of the Lee tools (like the all-plastic powder measure) with ones you like better, are more durable, and/or are easier to use, but meanwhile, you'll be loading good ammo. I went 20 years on Lee tools with no problems before getting a Dillon, but I still have a Lee single-stage press set up.

To address your list:

Reloading Press (Single stage) Lee will do just fine
Die Set for each caliber The Lee die sets are fine (definitely go with carbide for pistol); I suggest the Pacesetter 3-die set for .223 if it's for a semiauto. 3-die rifle sets are not strictly necessary, but I'm partial to the Factory Crimp die for semiautos (some hate them, however).
Impact Bullet Puller convenient, and you'll probably end up with one, but it's not mandatory
Scales comes with the Lee kit. A digital scale is more convenient, but not strictly necessary
Powder Measure comes with the Lee kit. Useable, but it's my least favorite Lee tool
Powder Funnel (does this come with the press?) comes with the Lee kit
Case length Gage Lee case trimmer gauges and cutter set this for you, but steel calipers (like Midway's) are very useful to have
Reloading Manual Get a few, more as you can afford them
Tumbler Midway's is good. Don't tumble 9x19 brass with .45ACP brass
Tumbler media Ground walnut shells are sold as reptile bedding in pet stores much cheaper. I don't bother with corncob to polish them all pretty: I just want clean cases. You might want to get a universal depriming die and deprime before tumbling to clean the primer pockets
Media separator Again, Midway's is good
Chamfer and Deburring Tool Get one with a big handle: prevents finger cramps when you process a lot of cases
Reloading Trays Check the trash cans at the range: the plastic inserts in factory ammo boxes work well; most people just throw 'em away. The .45ACP has the same casehead size as .308, .30-06, etc., so those trays will work. The 9x19 and .223 casehead sizes are close enough that those trays are usually interchangeable
Bullets Graf's often has bulk deals
Primers (what type? and are they the same for all the calibers I want to load?) All 3 are different: small pistol for 9x19, large pistol for .45ACP, small rifle for .223. Standard primers are correct for your ammo. Magnum primers are not necessary.
Brass Casings Try Graf's for bulk
Black Powder You want smokeless powder, not black. There are dozens of choices, broadly seperated into pistol powders and rifle powders. Many pistol powders work equally well in 9x19 and .45ACP, so you can get away with one powder for those, but you'll need a seperate rifle powder for .223. Your reloading manual will guide you as to which powders you want to get.

You definitely must have some case lube for the .223 cases. This is mandatory. Spray-on lubes are the most convenient. All seem to work equally well.
The Lee kit comes set up to prime on the press. I personally prefer to use a seperate hand priming tool, but that's certainly not mandatory.
PigBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 13:56   #7
Administrator
Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96
Last Achievements

To get started, I suggest you buy yourself a starter kit.

From there, read the manual until you understand it back and forth.

RCBS used to make a reloader special 5 kit, take a look at one of those.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47   #8
Registered Member
Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9
Last Achievements

Why is my casing Really hard to deprime and size. I stripped the casing and left it in the Die. I lubricate the inside of the casing.... I have an old version of the Rock Chucker. 50 plus years old..... Can you help me....
Klub Jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 18:37   #9
Points: 4,561, Level: 43 Points: 4,561, Level: 43 Points: 4,561, Level: 43
Last Achievements

I think you will NOT need black power!! You will need the smokeless powder that the book call for the caliber that you are loading and watch the weight for it takes different weight for different weight bullets. Read your reload book first and read it good. Lyman is a good reload book also Lee I like the Lyman best. If you buy a reload book by a power company you will only have loads for there powder. I like the Lee 3 hole turret press == GOOD LUCK ==
AABEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:13   #10
Points: 4,561, Level: 43 Points: 4,561, Level: 43 Points: 4,561, Level: 43
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by TechPrepper View Post
I've been shooting for many years now and would like to continue to do so. However with the expense of ammo these days, I need to getting into reloading if I am to continue.

I have absolutely no experience. Shopping around on Midway.com I find myself completely lost as to what tools, books, and supplies I will need.

I would like to (re)load the following calibers:
  • 9mm Luger
  • .45 ACP
  • 5.56 NATO

Can you veteran loaders please give a total noob like me a list of basic "must-have" tools etc.?

Here is what I've found while researching, is this the right list or can some of it be left out? Should something else be added?
  • Reloading Press (Single stage)
  • Die Set for each caliber (will I need 2, 3, or 4 piece die sets?)
  • Impact Bullet Puller
  • Scales
  • Powder Measure
  • Powder Funnel (does this come with the press?)
  • Case length Gage
  • Reloading Manual
  • Tumbler
  • Tumbler media
  • Media separator
  • Chamfer and Deburring Tool
  • Reloading Trays
  • Bullets (for each caliber)
  • Primers (what type? and are they the same for all the calibers I want to load?)
  • Brass Casings
  • Black Power
FIRST buy a good reloading book Lyman & Lee has some very good info on reloading. Read then then reread them then you can start to reload from what you have read and this will help make you a good reloaded.GOOD LUCK Sierra is also a very good book to reload from.
AABEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 19:23   #11
Points: 11,930, Level: 71 Points: 11,930, Level: 71 Points: 11,930, Level: 71
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Klub Jdub View Post
Why is my casing Really hard to deprime and size. I stripped the casing and left it in the Die. I lubricate the inside of the casing.... I have an old version of the Rock Chucker. 50 plus years old..... Can you help me....
The lube goes on the outside of the casing.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 21:54   #12
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Last Achievements

I have to agree with a lot of what was said. I picked up a Lyman Reloading Handbook and read it many times before I decided on what to buy. I started with one of Lee's Kits and added a few extras. I found the Modern Reloading by Richard Lee to be very informative and was an excellent guide for using everything that came in Lee Kit. I have only reloaded for the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I am also adding 223 and 243 rifle loads soon. Enjoy your new hobby and take it slow. The group here is most helpful when it comes to reloading.
Diver9543 is offline   Reply With Quote