Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 17:11   #26
Points: 6,656, Level: 53 Points: 6,656, Level: 53 Points: 6,656, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thread was started almost three years ago.......
wolfspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:54   #27
Points: 6,629, Level: 53 Points: 6,629, Level: 53 Points: 6,629, Level: 53
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements

Still as appropriate a question today as three years ago.

Greg
GLShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02   #28
2old2care
Points: 2,095, Level: 27 Points: 2,095, Level: 27 Points: 2,095, Level: 27
Last Achievements

I still crimp, Years have not changed my mind. Ask yourself this question: Why is factory ammo crimped? Because it is safer more consistant ammo. That said, some rifle ammo I reload I do not crimp.
baltz526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:14   #29
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
Last Achievements

I Have a lot of 223 bullets that are canelured . Do they HAVE to be crimped? Also can you put a light crimp on a bullet without a canelure?
Country shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34   #30
Points: 11,940, Level: 71 Points: 11,940, Level: 71 Points: 11,940, Level: 71
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Country shooter View Post
I Have a lot of 223 bullets that are canelured . Do they HAVE to be crimped? Also can you put a light crimp on a bullet without a canelure?
No , the canelured don't have to be crimped, and yes you can put a crimp on a bullet without a canelure, it's a matter of preferance. I put a light crimp on all of my reloads.
Win_94 and BobbyG like this.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46   #31
Last Achievements

After reading all the information on this thread, I have decided to send to LEE for a couple of spare sizing balls and turn one down .001 and one down .002 and see which one I like the best and which one my weapon likes the best and go with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10   #32
Last Achievements

I don't crimp for my mini 14. I took the decapping pin out of my Lee full length die and polished it to .002 under sized and that tightened the bullet in the neck. I miked ten rounds to a perfect 2.250 length and put them into the Mag and shot 8 of them. Perfect accuracy and the last two miked 2.250. Just saying.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17   #33
Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
Last Achievements

While I am new here, great forum by the way, I'm not new to guns or hand-loading.

I've been hand-loading rifles and pistols for 30+ years and about half is for tailored for my bolt guns. The best accuracy loads I've been able to achieve is when the ogive of the bullet is "just touching" or about 0.005 off the lands. By doing this it allows the bullet to move on initial firing and ensures concentricity of the projectile and bore.

I have tools that allow me to measure the over all cartridge length for that particular bullet as it touches the lands and then I back off the 0.005 I need for the gap.

Bullet Tension

This is the amount of "grip" the brass neck applies to the outside surface of the bullet. Typically, a light tension force provides the optimum condition for the best accuracy. Keep in mind that this is for bolt guns and not semi auto's like or AR 15.

Semi-auto's need more neck tension to keel the bullet tips from moving during the bolt cycling bringing a fresh round to the chamber. Believe it or not, this is somewhat of a violent action which supports a heavier hold on the bullet.

Sizing & Barrel Chambers

Standard bottleneck rifle dies are machined to restore a fired case to it's unfired dimensions. The sizing die is machined using reamers similar to those used to ream the barrel chamber and in fact, customer rifles are chambered using specific reamers and these reamers are also used to machine the sizing die!

I use bushing neck sizing dies for 3 of my bolt guns. These dies use specially jig ground carbide inserts that allow me to adjust the neck to achieve tension as low as 0.0005.... Bolt Guns Only!

Once the case is fully sized, it's retracted and the neck of the case slides over the expander button ensuring the neck ID meets specifications established by Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute or SAAMI. This dimension is really all that's necessary to secure the bullet in place.

Cannelure

A Cannelure is a groove placed at some location on the circumference of the bullet. These groves are found on nearly all of the large heavy cartridges due to their punishing recoil. All the military rounds I'm familiar with incorporate them as well to insure their dimensional consistency and reliability under the most adverse conditions.

Military rifles are machined to certain dimensions in order for them to use any ammunition designed for that chamber. Their parts are also designed so that their interchangeable as well, IE bolt from rifle A fits in rifle B without incident.

Bullets with cannelures need not be crimped just because they're there. Run them up in the seating die and adjust the die so that the crimp feature does not engage the case mouth.

Hmmm, I think I may have gotten off track a bit...
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23   #34
BWM
Points: 1,058, Level: 17 Points: 1,058, Level: 17 Points: 1,058, Level: 17
Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5%
Last Achievements

I like crimping all that I shoot. I have found that they will shoot a tighter group. That goes for my 223 243 25.060 270 30.06 bolt rifles. I set my Lee like the paper said to. . I have been doing this a long time on the bolt rifles. I bought my first AR in Sept 2012 so I have not done shooting of the AR. I am giving the AR 223 a little more crimp be caws it is a auto.
BWM is offline   Reply With Quote