Perfect Union banner

Cleaning Sizing dies? Newbie question.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  twiceaweek 
#1 ·
Do you clean your sizing dies?

I have been reading on case lubes and I ran into a couple of comments on another forum that several reloaders clean their sizing dies every time they use them. And one said he oiled his also. (I don't get that since I've heard never to let oil get near the cases because it can harm the powder if it touches it.)

So my question is this. Do you clean your sizing dies? If so, how often and what do you use to clean them, what's your procedure, etc.

While I'm at it, do you clean your other dies as well? Same questions apply.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I am a new guy also. I just look for signs that they are getting too dirty or building up lube. Then I take the decapping pin out and wipe it with a papertowel rolled up. I thought about useing my parts cleaner, but I didn't think that would be a good idea. I don't want to ruin the power.

#3 ·
;)Every once in a while my dies will set idle for a few months at a time,the case lube seems to thicken or gather dust,cobwebs, etc.,so I use a gun cleaning rod and patch to clean inside the die after removing the decapping rod of course.I soak the patch with ronsonal lighter fluid and it cuts thru the lube easily.Yea I know it's flammable but I don't have any open flames,etc.,and it evaporates very quickly.Then just run a light coat of gunoil-not caselube thru to protect the metal of the interior of the die,lube your cases with regular caselube and start resizeing.;)

#4 ·
I have been using "Brakleen". Its used to clean brake parts, rotors etc. Works good to remove the build up of case lube. In fact I even use this to clean my guns. It works just like "Gun Scrubber" and costs 1/3 less. You can find it at just about any auto parts store.

#6 ·
I also use brakekleen on everything. You should use the non clorinated kind. Now for a friendly warning.....

If you get brakekleen on a wood stock, the finish WILL BE REMOVED. Be careful when using this product on wood furnished weapons.

#7 ·
I also use brakekleen on everything. You should use the non clorinated kind. Now for a friendly warning.....

If you get brakekleen on a wood stock, the finish WILL BE REMOVED. Be careful when using this product on wood furnished weapons.
This is very true! Also, DON'T EVER get brake cleaner on plastic, synthetic, or polymer parts, OR on painted parts!! no NO no!!

It will MELT the plastic, and soften and craze paint! BE CAREFUL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.