Perfect Union banner

SO... Will it RELOAD?!??!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Warlord 
#1 ·
Ok, so I just bought some Barnaul .308 ammo from sportsman's guide... They got some for like .38 cents a round...

Its the same price as the wolf... although it is BOXER primed... STEEL CASED... and "non reloadable"

What would make it NON RELOADABLE? I hear that people are reloading STEEL cased ammo... at LEAST once... what would make THIS non reloadable? Other than its a STEEL cased ammo?

Boxer primed is the standard... Supposedly, steel for casings is almost as soft as brass is... at least this is what I have heard...

So what say you reloading folks... Will it reload or not? ( at least once...) Will trying to run steel cases through reloading dies screw them up?? Obviously they would probably need to be lubed a bit better than brass casings would... but will it work?!?!?

I am not looking to make target grade loads out of it... but to just keep costs down for semi-accurate "plinking" rounds... ( like for a Saiga .308, or similar...)

:lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think that you would have to be more careful about moisture with steel rusting. Not some with brass and I think it would be easier to trim and not as hard on your trimming tools.

#5 ·
"I think it would be easier to trim and not as hard on your trimming tools."

you think the steel would be easier to trim and easier on the trimming tools?

I think you had a typo there, and I missed the gist... LOL

:lol:
Oh yea, I had it all worked out in my head and not my fingers!:lol:

#4 ·
I have been wondering this myself. Especially with the WOLF steel cased, boxer primed pistol calibers like .45acp.

#6 ·
You can reload steel cases that are boxer primed. The down side to this is the problems with steel rusting, and the cases being as hard as your dies, cutting head, etc. Also, the steel will fatigue and fail faster than brass.
Like I said, you can reload it, but it really is not worth it.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.