Perfect Union banner

Squibs

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  HighDesertWolf 
#1 ·
So my first reloading mistake was made yesterday. It was a 55gr fmj .223 with no powder. I thought there was no reloads in my stash or loaded mags because extra care and time was taken to find and remove them all, so it must have slipped by me even though it was marked with a sharpie. After last nights inventory the only reloads I have are in my misc .223 can (probally 4-5 low charge 75grs) and 25 test loads (5 rds each of 75gr HPBT in LC cases with BLC-2 in .5gr charge increments for chronographng. I know for a fact those are not squibs because they are all weighed individually.

Well I may have found out something the fun and scary way. Squibs are not going to get lodged far enough into the barrel to gas systems action. The bullet left the case only a slight amount, just enough not to expose anything behind the cannelure. OAL after firing is 2.64. The bullet shows a clear line of being pushed into the bore with very light rifling grooves.

I am cure the bullet being crimped kept it from leaving the case and am very thankful and lucky to be here right now. This incident among others could have been so much worse too me but the big guy upstair see's something else for me I guess.

If you must know this was during a magazine dump.

Please be careful and THROW AWAY any reloads you deem unfit too shoot. My reloading is fixing to become a more sticter disclipine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why toss them in the trash? They make this wonderfull thing called a bullet puller for taking rounds apart.
Now it may be different with you "bullet hosers" and your cheap ammo, but those of us that shoot for small groups / long distance tend to have a tad more time & $$ invested in each round of ammo IOW get back to me on throwing out "unfit" ammo when your brass is $2+ ea, your bullets are $1ea and up (I've seen some bullets that were $5 ea) and losing one of your weight/volume/firematched children (um I mean cases) hurts.

#4 ·
Or use a collet puller :D. What sets me off is this bit of advise
Please be careful and THROW AWAY any reloads you deem unfit too shoot
:angry: Now, had he said tear down or disassemble instead...
Of course I respect my barrels/firearms to do any kind of "magazine dump", unless he means opening the floorplate and dropping the unspent rounds gently into my hand.

#5 ·
wait till you get a squib that occurs from a partial powder burn usually cause from contaminated powder that was exposed to too much moisture. if you live in a high humidity state be sure to have a dehumidifier in your reloading room and some device that allows you to monitor the humidity in the room 0 to 65% humidity you should be fine anymore Id take the precaution to keep your humidity down. and always keep the lids 'ON' tight on your powder containers. whether it be your powder cans and powder hoppers on your powder dispensers. glad to hear your squib wasn't catastrophic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.