Perfect Union banner

Best accuracy reloading tip...

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Song Dawg 
#1 ·
What would say is the most important things to do to improved accuracy?

For me it was getting my 223 dies set just right, the bullet seating die mostly. Taking it down to were it touches the case shoulder then a hare more. I get good accuracy out of my mini 14 and my Savage Stevens bolt.;)

#5 ·
I was reading one of the reloading mags and it had done a test on top brass makers compared to the domestic brands and Rem rated just as well as the exspensive counder parts. I belive it placed 2nd in the accuracy test with all brass shooting the same loads.

#8 ·
I am indeed, I neck size only, then next time around do a partial full-length sizeing to insure chambering, and so on until the case develops splits (Winchester is worst for this). I have some K-P cases that are on their 8th loading done thusly. and some IMI also. X39 brass is still fairly cheap, I suppose I shouldn't be so miserly but - wastenot, want not.

#9 ·
I am indeed, I neck size only, then next time around do a partial full-length sizeing to insure chambering, .
I know you load for accuracy in your Mini-30. I would like to share with you a few things that I have learned over the years about the Mini and sizing for accuracy.

As with most auto-loaders the fired brass from a Mini is not an exact replica of the chamber. Because the brass may still be under a bit of pressure when it is extracted, it can come out longer/larger than the chamber it was fired in. Not only is it not a replica of the chamber, it is also very inconsistent from one piece of brass to the next. I use the Stoney Point Head and Shoulder Gauge and it is not uncommon for the head to shoulder measurement of fired mini brass to vary as much as .005-.008 with the same load. Changing powders and loads can make this difference even more dramatic.

I have no doubt that your mini will chamber "neck sized" brass. However, I do believe that you can squeeze more accuracy out of your loads if you are running them all with the same "Head to Shoulder" measurement. Neck sizing for an auto-loader really can't do this. A couple of thousands can make a big difference. Do you have a Stoney Point Gauge or something similar? If not, purchasing one may help in the accuracy(consistency) dept. Just my .02.

Here is a link to some very helpful info on loading for service rifles.
http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

#10 ·
thanks for the link Steve. I got to tinkering with my M30 when a couple shooting buddys - one with an H-bar Colt, other with a M1A1 said 'those things aren't accurate'.
I did a recrown, bore polish, reciever shim, trigger job and added a 3X9 Redfield. and had 'em eating their words. this was when I was useing Winchester brass to load with. then I got some K-P and IMI brass and things got interesting again. and then I tapped the gas pipe 8-32 and converted to a straight-pull action for shooting off a rest. I did load some Sierra Match 150gr and was impressed - but since this is a hunting gun I did that just a couple times to give them ol' boys fits!
I dropped the Redfied and put on a 1.5X4.5X20 'tactical' glass and installed an Eagle flash hider/brake with H-K front sight. I'll post foto on Mini forum sometime.
regards the link - I wondered why things picked up when I began loading IMI brass, then K-P (Lapua) this made a difference. regarding primers I follow Lee's caveat against useing Federal primers in their primer tool. I use CCI and Win.
I don't have the gauge, I'll check on it, but at present I'm just still working on handloads for hunting purposes and giveing my buddys fits. I'm getting 2" on a good day with the small glass (maybe better sometimes) and they can't stand it since I payed 1/3rd what they did for my rifle!

#11 ·
The most important tip for me was easily the proper bullet seating depth. Once I bought the Stoney Point seating tool (Now Hornady) it was like getting a new gun.
Sadly it took me a couple of years to really attack the problem but once I did it was night v day!
Now five shots cover a dime @100yd 55 grn Nosler BT .22-250.

The next best thing is to keep the bore de-coppered and clean!

SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.