Perfect Union banner

loading lead bullets

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  hawkeye36 
#1 ·
A friend has a 9mm that allows him to shoot lead bullets. I used to reload lead, but quit when I went to Glocks. I still have around 200 - 300 bullets in lead. When I load one, I find when I put it in the Dillon 9mm guage, that it stops just prior to the base going in. If I give it a gently to mild push, it seats. I don't remember my loads doing that when I was reloading lead bullets before. So, can someone remind me what I am doing wrong and what setting needs to be change and on what die? Thanks.

#3 ·
If you are referring to your case length gauge, maybe it's got some gunk or corrosion in it? Or maybe the lead bullets are dragging a little due to the thickness (lead are .001" larger?) I don't load lead bullets, but just a thought. I don't know how much I'd worry about it if they fairly easily can go into the gauge.

#4 ·
Swiftak:

I thought about that, so I tried different settings to see if it made a difference. I noticed that it was finally making a visible ring around the lead bullet once I pulled it. The bullets do not have a cannelure so I didn't want to dig too deep into the lead. None of the settings seemed to make a difference as far as the round going easily into the gage. I will go out and try one or two through the Glock 17 that I have to see if they will load into the chamber without keeping the slide from closing completely, or to see if once fired the case will extract. Of course they may feed A-OK in the Glock barrel, but not in my friend's match barrel. We will see.

#5 ·
Totalloser:

I looked inside my gage and decided to clean it, just in case. Once cleaned, I still had the same problem. As I told swiftak, I guess I'll have to go and shoot a few rounds through my Glock and then see if they will also feed and extract from my friend's. Thanks to both of you for your comments.

#6 ·
I use the crimp feature on all my pistol rounds, none have a cannelure. (9mm jhp, .40 plated hp, .357 sig jhp) Haven't had a problem with it (hang on while I knock on wood!).

'Course you probably know about leading issues in Glock and other polygon rifled barrels, right?

BTW, I just checked, and lead bullets are almost (?) always .001" larger in diameter. Example; .40 s&w in lead is .401" and .400" in jacketed. That's why I was thinking the lead might be more apt to be dragging. Especially if they have been bounced around and have some dings in them. If so, nothing to worry about. Good luck with it either way. :)

#7 ·
Totalloser:

Yes, I was only going to put one or two rounds through the Glock 17 barrel to make sure they would (1) insert OK into the chamber without the slide refusing to close completely and (2) to see if they would extract OK. Then I'll clean the barrel. My friend doesn't have the same kind of barrel so it is OK for him to shoot lead.

The bullets are in pristine condition. I guess they are just that .01" thicker which causes them to not slip easily into the gage.

Thanks for all of your advise and help.

#8 ·
Was out at the range this past Saturday. I put four rounds of 9mm loaded with 3.8 g and four loaded with 4.0 g of 231 powder behind a 124 g lead bullet through my Glock 17. They all shot well, worked the slide OK, and fell just two or so feet from me. The only part I didnt' like was later cleaning the lead particles out of the Glock barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.