Perfect Union banner

Lee Loader SHTF Questions.

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  totalloser 
#1 ·
Hey, PU,

I'm building a SHTF/GTFO/GOOD kit, and I was considering including a Lee Loader and die for .223 and .308 or 7.62x54mmR, as well as plenty of primers.
I know Lee Loaders are kind of the joke reloader on the internet, and that presses are more effective, but this is something where I can throw it into a backpack and run with it. If it's really SHTF, than I'll be able to scavenge other rounds maybe not for my main combat rifle (likely a .223) or hunting rifle (likely a .308 or 7.62x54mmR).
I realize a .22LR is the best survival rifle, but I have no doubt I can scavenge those rounds better than any other.
However, these other rounds would become scarce if I'm on my own, and I'd like to have a reloader that takes up little space. The Lee Loader is known enough for me to consider it.

So, PU, would you consider these kits for a survival scenario? Or would you lug around a reloading press capable of different calibers?

#2 ·
I have a Lee loader in .222rem. It is not a joke. It makes ammunition on par with a press. You are lacking in fine adjustment on the amount of powder, but other than that, it is great. It would be more than sufficient and effective in your SHTF pack. I don't care what those other cpu chair commandos think. The loader works.

#5 ·
Damn, I respect that.

I need a good .308 with a stowable hollow stock. I'm thinking about a M700 in a Choate sniper stock with a Harris bipod (more economical than the M70 with the same combo).
If the Choate sniper has space in the folding stock, it will be in there, maybe with a tie one bag with the die if it does not.

That right there would be my ultimate SHTF hunting / long range defense rifle.

#4 ·
I think anyone who thinks the Lee Loader is a joke is some kind of a snob or an elitest. I have several of them in several calibers. What kind of reloader would be better than a 4 by 6 sized item in a backpack. They reload ammo and thats all there is to it. I think its a great idea for a SHTF survival pack. Wish I had thought of it. My Lee Loader in 308 goes in my pack tonight.

#6 ·
A lee loader would be very effective for ammo resupply. Add a bullet mold and a cast iron spoon rest/ ashtray and a pound of Red Dot and you have a lot of back up ammo with out much weight. Here is a link of a guy loading ammo in a tent while hunting. http://www.castbullet.com/reload/tentload.htm

Mike

#7 ·
With the lee loader sometimes the powder measures you get with the kit are not exactly the size you want for the particular load or powder you are using. A nice option is a lee powder measure kit. 15 powder measures from .3cc to 4.3cc it comes with a slide card that will calculate 1300 loads using 95 powders. You are pretty certain to find 1 measure that will be to your liking for a load/powder for your bug out bag. Or a combination of dips, for instance 2 measures of say win 748 of the 5cc measure = X grains, which is just what your 308 likes. Consistency is everything in rolling your own.
lee powder measure kit costs a big 7.50 at midwayusa, or find 1 at your local GS.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Good call cma g21,
It's a little bigger than the lee loader, but it eliminates the need for a hammer.
This unit can put out some high quality reloads and you also can use the lee bullet crimping die with it for that factory crimp.

#11 ·
easier to carry loaded ammo rather than a press,bullets,cases,primers and powder.
And then when you've been out in the wilderness for years - what then?
My idea of S Hitting TF, S truly Hitting TF, is not to defend the homestead, but grab what I need and run.

What I'm intending on is caching some powder and primers in a safe container, putting a brass catcher on my semi-autos, and hopefully picking up any brass I can from the bolt actions.

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I may need to scavenge for ammo. Say wandering through the wastelands or deserted cities, I find ammunition that isn't in the caliber for my rifles - with proper reloading equipment I can pour out the powder, melt down the bullets' lead and cast them again.

#12 ·
I use them exclusively for a number of rounds. They are nifty to use. NOt super accurate or fast. But its something fun to do for plinking rounds.

Honestly if things got that bad Id sling my brass eater and fire off my flintlock guns for general hunting purposes. I can make powder, ball/bullet, and patch. And I have enough flints laying around to last a lot longer than I think the barrel would :lol:

Besides drinking from my still as I sit on my roof top shooting into the crowd of zombies would be fun!

Something to think about.

Hmm I should build a folding stock flintlock carbine :lol::lol::lol:

#13 ·
Honestly if things got that bad Id sling my brass eater and fire off my flintlock guns for general hunting purposes. I can make powder, ball/bullet, and patch. And I have enough flints laying around to last a lot longer than I think the barrel would :lol:

Besides drinking from my still as I sit on my roof top shooting into the crowd of zombies would be fun!

Something to think about.

Hmm I should build a folding stock flintlock carbine :lol::lol::lol:
Flintlock? Too new fangled for me. I'll break out the old long bow. :lol:

I suppose you younguns that just gotta have something tactical, could get by with a crossbow. :lol:

#18 ·
Coincidentally, I put together just such a kit this weekend. I live out of my RV in the summer and wanted to be able to reload and shoot where I live, so my kit includes all of the necessary stuff for loading 45LC (smokeless) and 45-70 (black powder & smokeless). I bought a Lee Hand Press Kit which included press, funnel, primer, and lube. I added my own dies, bullets, powder, primer, tool kit, cleaning kit, patches, etc.

I bought a Duluth Trading canvas tool kit bag to store it all in.

All-in-all, it is a pretty good setup. However, I wouldn't want to have to pack it around with me everywhere I go. Which makes the Lee Loader look awful appealing as the ultimate SHTF setup.

Now, I would just need to decide which caliber to shoot. I love my mini-14 and the tolerances are so sloppy, neck sizing shouldn't be a problem. And, I could get a lot more loads out of a pound out powder than many others.

Decisions, decisions.

#19 ·
Mike56 :lol: I just about died laughing at that picture!:lol:

Regarding accuracy of loads with the Lee Loader, I believe a world record is held for long range accuracy with ammo loaded on one. Got a pic in one of my books. There is no reason you can't load accurately on one. Just pay attention.

+1 on cma g21; the full length sizing. No good for autos the way I understand it. But if you are in a pinch, I guess ANY cartridge is better than NO cartridge, and I think the issue is feeding, so you might be able to wiggle 'em in in a pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.