Perfect Union banner

Bulk supplies...

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Song Dawg 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many reloader buy in bulk to save money. I think I'll buy an 8lb tub of H335 and a couple of other powders start looking at the bulk bullet buys. How many of you guys buy bulk over box quanity?

#2 ·
I've always bought bulk. Better to have too much than too little.
Plus the bulk purchases at the right time can save money.
I'm shootin' 55 gr Nosler BT's @ under 10.00/ per 100ct rather than today's $16.79 for the same thing.:angry:

Powder/primers are no different. If you've got a favorite load worked up then bulk is the answer. Eat the hazard fee just once!
Here's a good outlet!;)
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

SD

#4 ·
I noticed at the gun show that there was not a single lick of reloading supplies. Usually there is a guy from Alabama Ammo there and he has almost everything you need. I have noticed that if you buy bagged bullets vs boxed they are alot cheaper.

#6 · (Edited)
I buy bulk rifle powder from Natchez Shooters Supply for doing things like .30-30, 7.62 X 39, .223 and a few others. Bulk pistol powder around here is best at Sportsman's Warehouse. That way you don't pay the Hazmat or shipping, even though the price is slightly higher on the powder than mailorder.

Midway, Wideners and Berry's are good sources for decent quality at lower prices on bulk bullets. I get my lead pistol slugs from a gunshop locally. Just picked-up 2000 .452 230gr LRN's a week or so ago and have 2/3 of them loaded into .45 ACP's for practice. They were a nickel apiece.

Guns show prices here make it not worth bothering with. Same with most of their bullets and ammo. Primers have been OK there though. I'll have to see what they're charging when I go to the next one tomorrow.

#7 ·
I may just be gettin' old & cranky, but Midway's owner says that they have low everyday prices. That's a joke! He knocks off $1 on an item and thinks you're getting a deal. I don't buy much from them, unless they're having a decent sale on something I need. Natchez has better prices, but charges a $3.99 handling fee. They all charge you the going rate on shipping, even tho they get a discount from the shippers. Midsouth is an exception as they charge exact shipping, no extras. Their prices are usually as good or better than the others. Only problem is they don't have as big an inventory. A NICKEL apiece for a 230 gr. RN slug is defintely a good price on todays market.

#8 ·
That's true about Midway, Shakey. Their prices aren't all that good unless it's on a special. I'm a cheap ol' sob and that's about the only time I buy from anybody, if I can help it. The powder I buy from Natchez is that "Data Powder" that is always cheap. I reload for volume of shooting most of the time, and I don't need benchrest performance........and probably won't get it out of my milsurps.

I bought a load of bulk bullets (230 gr FMJ's) from Midway and got a screaming price on a special promo last April, but you had to order 2K to get it that cheap. A dime apiece sticks-out in my memory, but I'd have to find the packing slip to see for sure.

Thanks for the heads-up on that Midsouth place. I'll have to check them out.

#9 ·
I'm lucky when it comes to buying powder & primers. There's a distributor a couple hours away that I buy from. I shoot WW-231 in the 45acp and of all things 7625 in the 38 sp. I just picked up 2 8lb. kegs of 231 for $99 ea. Figuring I have to pay sales tax of 6-1/2%, but no hazmat/shipping, it's not too bad. 5m primers=$110. I shoot 148 swaged HBWC in the 38 & 200 gr cast in the 45. About $57 per 1000. Go out & bang away till my heart's content!
I hope MidSouth expands their line of products. They've been in business a good while and have a variety, but nowhere near what Midway or Natchez has.

#10 ·
Wish we had somebody locally I could get primers from cheaply. The best I've seen is 108 bucks per 5K at the show yesterday, and that's up 3 bucks per K from a few months ago. Sportsman's is about the best here for bulk powders, but that's still not a lot less. I'm lucky there's a local shop I can get those lead bullets from at a decent price, but they're definitely not match quality either. Just good for normal use.

#11 ·
The guy that owns a local army surplus store is building a bigger building and he is talking about carrying supplies such as powder and primers to save people hazmat fees. I hope this happens because from what I hear it is not the cost of ordering it that kills you but all the shipping and hazmat fees.

#12 ·
I was looking at 8 lbs of H335 for $135.00 and I saw 5 lbs of Reloader 7 for $67.00 at a local Sportsmans Warehouse. I may look at bulk bullets on line either Midway or Natchez or one of the links that have been post by some of the members here.

#13 ·
When I mail order, I have been buying in bulk.
There is only one shop around that has powder and primers. Last year, I did 90% of my shopping there.
Another shop has lots of cheap bullets, but all of them are oddballs.
Another shop is run by a total dickweed. He is never there. He saw me standing at the door one day, 10 minutes after he was supposed to be already open, he pulled up and said "I'll be back in 20 minutes." I said, "F that, You are never going to see me ever again!" and left.
Another dickweed shop, the guy tries to sell 25 year old ammo for current prices, even though he has had a closeout/going out of business sale sign up for 25 years.
I have to drive a 2 hour round trip to get to 2 other good shops, so I'd rather have the stuff shipped right to my door and not chance it that they have exactly what I want.

#15 ·
The local Sportsmans never seems to have cartons of primers for sale, just trays of 100 and a lot of empty slots at that. One formerly good place quit carrying reloading supplies, although they did have some South African 7.62 not long ago. Sold out in a hurry.

I ended up buying all the primers I'll ever need by mail order from Widner's. All Wolf brand, all around $20/K. If they're good enough for match shooters like Tubb, they're fine with me, especially when I either can't find cartons locally or when I can they're going for $27/K on up.

Plinker bullets, like 147gr or 55gr FMJs I buy 1K at a time, or 2x500 etc. Pat's reloading, Bartlett's, etc are all worth keeping an eye on.

I'm ready in case the Democruds get lucky in November.

#17 ·
GS3......I think it's all gone, but I've since used Data-68 (also gone) and they also have Data-85, which I believe can be found at either Natchez or Powder Valley. Better hurry though, before it's gone too.

These powders are a little different than others, but can be used with the same load data as some powders, which is why I like them (and also because they're CHEAP).

I still have what's left of my last keg of 68 that I've been nursing along, but I mostly use it for .30-30 and 7.62 X 39.

#19 ·
:lol:I think I'll take my tax"rebate" check in june and spend it all on bulk reloading supplies-because after November we just might need them!:lol::eek:<_<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.