Perfect Union banner

Barnes tripple shock

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Khyber 
#1 ·
I just bought a box of tripple shock 62 gr 224 dia. Has anyone else tried them? I figured they would be good for deer and pigs, I can shoot anything at coyotes.;)

#3 · (Edited)
Went out and did some shooting with my Savage bolt and mini 14 to try these high $$$ bullets. With the Savage my brother and I both shot about 1'' group from about 75 yds, not real impressive. I was using the 62 gr Tripple Shock with 22 gr Reloader 10. This powder does really well with 60 gr v-max and 65 gr Sierra sp, we both shot 1/2'' and 3/4/" groups with both of these loads. That was with a bolt, with the mini 14 they spread out to 1 1/2'' with the Tripple Shock, again not real impressive but at close range would work. The 60 v-max did really well for both of us, my brother shot a group that was close to 1" with 4 shots at less than 1''. My group was about the same except I only loaded 4 shots, forgot the 5th one.:) Did well and had alot of fun just shooting and testing loads, here is a couple of my targets, one from the Savage Stevens 223 and the other from my 196 series mini 14.

#5 ·
I have a box or two of the old x bullets, same thing minus the relief grooves on the outside. Darn fine shooters, and they're also "green" lead free safe for Bambi etc. One less objection for the leftards to throw at my hunting. You have to be careful with the original x bullets, higher pressure trying to push them into the rifling, sometimes more fouling, etc. Triple shocks act pretty much like any other jacketed bullet does in the bore.

#8 ·
I've been using them for elk with my 06 and they are AWSOME!!!!!!! Just got my mini back from gundoc and if it shoots into 2" at 100yrds I'm going to try the 62's on deer this year. I don't think deer and elk and other critters really care if the rifle that kills them shoots 1/4" or 2" groups its the one critter group that counts and 2" will take care of anything on this continent and any other. JMHO Frank

#9 ·
I saw a you tube video with a Tripple Shok going thru ballistic gel, pretty cool! They open up and twist thru the gel, I'm sure they will do the same on game or critters.;)

#13 ·
My expierence with the TSX has been mixed. Accuracy is superb (.3-.4 moa) in my 7mag, but copper fouling is HORRIBLE. Everyone says that either your gun will shoot them, or it will scatter them. I hear that the end result on game is great. TSX or not, I still would not use .223 for deer.

#14 ·
I took a deer with my mini 2 yrs ago with neck shot and dropped him in his tracks. I knew exactly were the gun was shooting and did not worry about the hit. My brother shot a deer 3 times with his 30-06 before he went down, bad shot placement. We don't have big deer around here and I know that's about the limit of the 223, even with premium bullets. I did take a good sized hog, 150 lbs with my mini and a 65 gr Sierra with 1 shot. I tried to get his buddy following him, I shot him 3 times and he ran away and I could not find him. Hogs are very tough and don't bleed unless hit them in the right spot.;)

#15 ·
I keep reading stories about Eskimos and other Indians taking game with minis. They're depending on it more than the slobs down here who empty the magazine of their '06 and then the rest of the box of ammo long after they've lost sight of the animal they spooked (I've seen some do it and heard the same guy reload....twice! I was thinking about waiting 5 minutes and firing a single round, just to tick him off.)

#16 ·
22's in Washington

In response to Walkinbears warning to me about the caliber restrictions in Washington I just looked them up. Sure as hell big game EXCEPT cougar must be hunted with 6 mil minimum. Thats a weird one since cougar and blacktail are about the same size I don't know why that ruling.
My thanks to Walkinbear. Frank

#17 ·
Your welcome Frank,
Now you have a reason to get a Mini 30 or Mini 6.8SPC
:D

I know it's a weird one, I called Fish & Wildlife and asked them once, like you said 6MM or larger for big game. So I asked them, "since 25acp was larger than 6MM if that could be used, he said technically yes, but we wouldn't like to see you do that".
Anyway why I called them was to make sure that pistol calibers larger than 6mm (.357-44 mag etc.) could be legally used for big game. The answer was yes, but .223 no.
Looking at the barnes bullet video I really don't know why it can't be used for deer, maybe a throwback to the old days.
Ahhh government, what would we do without them.......plenty!
:eek:

#18 ·
22's in WA

W-bear:your guy at fish/game did'nt tell you the whole story(unless the regs have changed). Minimum caliber is .243/6mm, but there is also a cartridge length requirement. I don't remember the exact length, but it was restrictive enough to prohibit .357 mag and .30 carbine, but include 7.62x39. I remember this from my hunters safety class appx.17 yrs ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.