Recommend a handheld primer! - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 17:44   #1

Recommend a handheld primer!

I've got a lee handheld primer I've had for about 25 years now an would like to get another one as its getting pretty worn, was looking on Amazon an most all the Lee's had some pretty bad reviews, would like to have something that I can still use my lee shell holders, what would you recommend???? Thanks
Chris
Mongo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35   #2

If you want to use your Lee shell holders you only have two choices.
Lee New Auto Prime or Lee Ergo Prime.
I also have the old one with round trays , I bought a New Auto Prime because mine is old and they were on sale.
I haven't used it yet , the folding tray seems a bit "mickey Mouse " but if it breaks I will just return it.
I notice Lee has come out with a primer tray update kit....maybe they have solved the problem.
Actually I have seated a few primers with it and it seats them just like the old one , it's the folding tray that looks "delicate".
Gary
gwpercle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 17:37   #3

I am in the same exact boat. I bought the new Lee hand prime stuff and hate it. I refurbed my old ones to keep them working for a while longer. My next step is to buy the Sinclair hand prime tool. It uses the Lee shellholders but I am not sure if it can use 100 primer auto feed thingies.
twiceaweek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2017, 11:04   #4

I had a Lee, it worked good. Then I got an RCBS and it worked better. The lee took special shell holders. Of course I bought me a whole set, but then the RCSB Universal with its ability to prime without a specific shell holder. Works great, no shell holders.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...d-priming-tool
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 13:37   #5

I wish RCBS weren't so proud of them..... $60.00 is a bit much for my budget right now.
I'll keep on with the Lee till better times .
Gary
gwpercle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:40   #6
Just a guy who likes guns

Anyone try out this new Frankford Arsenal tool? It's all Zinc and Steel built, not plastic and for the expensive $60.00, it at least comes with 12 shell holders! Could be a good alternative to all of the other not very good hand priming tools?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582...d-priming-tool
Capybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:07   #7

The RCBS sounds like the way to go if it really works good, not sure how the universal shell holder thing works but smarter guys than me developed it so,,,, its also on sale right now for $50,
Mongo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 14:03   #8

The universal shell holder works great. It is spring loaded.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote