Religion Chit Chat This is a place for all religious talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01   #1
Registered Member
Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

The bible.

Jared
Mandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:22   #2
Points: 1,613, Level: 23 Points: 1,613, Level: 23 Points: 1,613, Level: 23
Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5%
Last Achievements

There are some statements made there that are not factual. The Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest found to date and contain virtually no discrepancies from today's texts. The earlier copiers often devoted their entire lives to studiously and tirelessly transcribing every word exactly as written. Their dedication to the task was awesome. They even used different "pens" every day so as not to "contaminate" the new days work. It is hard to imagine that kind of workmanship in today's fast paced world. The copies of Issiah are virtually the same as those scrolls Jesus read in the temple at twelve yrs old.
We can print anything we want from sources of all persuasions but they should be compared with the truth. Disparaging remarks about the Bible are nothing new. The "religious leaders" of Jesus's day started discrediting Him even before his "death". They and others are still at it today--nothing new.
-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35   #3
anti-capitalist
Points: 71,946, Level: 100 Points: 71,946, Level: 100 Points: 71,946, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by -06 View Post
There are some statements made there that are not factual.
+1

An illogical argument from logic falls apart right away.

For example, relatively very few 21st century Christians hold "King James only" views. True, we do not have the actual original manuscripts, but we have plenty of evidence to support the contention that some of today's translations are quite good. No translation can perfectly convey the original texts in all their subtleties, but many translations convey the message well enough so that anyone receptive to the message can understand it.

And the KJV, in spite of its various imperfections, is certainly up to that task, to this day.

-06 is right about the dedication of ancient transcribers. They were human and made mistakes, but multiple copies in diverse places meant errors were eventually corrected. The history of the Bible, new and old testaments, is a fascinating and complex subject. If there is a serious historical case to be made against the overall accuracy of the best translations today, I'd like to read it. I don't think there is, though.
Isaiah 28:15-17
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18   #4
Last Achievements

No one should ever try to deny your right to call anything BS--especially the Bible. One should examine the Bible carefully and decide for himself whether it is real or false. Did God actually open the Red Sea and hold back the waters of the Jordan river, did He feed and water 2.2 million people plus livestock for 40 years in the desert, did Jesus come back from death and appear to hundreds before ascending in broad daylight, did the disciples give their lives for a hoax...on and on are questions that one should ask himself and come to a conclusion. Read the Bible---not some commentary about it or books describing it--read IT. When you do remember that it covers many centuries, countries, cultures, and societies. There are love, war, intrigue, vengeance, etc. etc. types of stories recorded in it. There is also the story of Jesus's birth, life, ministry, "kangaroo court" trial by the religious elite, death, resurrection, reappearing, and ascension. That starts in the New Testament but is alluded to in many of the Old Test. books. Then there are the letters written by Paul to the budding churches scattered around the Med. sea that he and other started. One can get frustrated, confused, and even disheartened at times but in the end he can see the picture of it all clearly. I now use a "New King James" simply because it is easier to read in modern English and would recommend a modern version for this reason. Have used others and there are some that are great. But that is another story. Please read the Bible for yourself all the way through then if it still is BS to you then so be it--nothing unusual or new--others have done the same but at least you will have been objective about it and made your own decision instead of vocalizing what some atheist or agnostic spouted to you. It IS the most important decision one will ever make--please decide carefully. Sincerely and in Christian love, 06
Old 08-05-2012, 18:15   #5
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:53   #6
Troller of trolls
Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3
Activity: 92.2% Activity: 92.2% Activity: 92.2%

Ignore "Douche Tofu" he has zero experience, owns no guns, and has nothing worthwhile to add. He's just lonely, worthless, and needs someone to talk to
Fishfood69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:59   #7
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Fishfood69 View Post
Ignore "Douche Tofu" he has zero experience, owns no guns, and has nothing worthwhile to add. He's just lonely, worthless, and needs someone to talk to
I am gonna put this profile on ignore too !

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Old 08-05-2012, 19:31   #8
Troller of trolls

Please put my profile on ignore. That way, you won't see whenever I warn everyone about you. Every post you make to someone new, I'll gladly let them know that you're full of ****. Please ignore me. You can't. You will view what I have to say no matter what because I own you. Just watch! Loser
Fishfood69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 22:57   #9
Last Achievements

Awh shucks, don't be too hard on Drache. We all need a bit of attention. Some get it by being loved, some by loving, and some by showing how much they need a hug...LOL.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14   #10
Waffen-SS-Sturmbannführer
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Last Achievements

KnucklePunche311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03   #11
Last Achievements

Could be said for the "other side" of the coin also. Not having a deep knowledge of Biblical times, historical writers of that era, and/or a sincere desire to openly seek a real solution to an answer is just as bad as a "Bible thumper". Jesus never "beat anyone over the head" and neither should anyone trying to explain God's love through Jesus's ministry/gift.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28   #12
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Awh shucks, don't be too hard on Drache. We all need a bit of attention. Some get it by being loved, some by loving, and some by showing how much they need a hug...LOL.
lols please !

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59   #13
Last Achievements

Could be said for the "other side" of the coin also. Not having a deep knowledge of Biblical times, historical writers of that era, and/or a sincere desire to openly seek a real solution to an answer is just as bad as a "Bible thumper". Jesus never "beat anyone over the head" and neither should anyone trying to explain God's love through Jesus's ministry/gift.
what other side? science? no science is questioning everything. tries to undertsand the world and the universe in which we live in. whereas religion forces people to blind follow and believe!
and why would you need biblical knowlege? the bibal is a buch of lies and contradictory as hell. for example:
GENESIS 32:30 "i have seen tha face of god"
JOHN 1:18 & 1 John 4:12 "nobody has seen the face of god"

"god's love" ? i'm laughing my ass of right here. you are so blind closed minded and ignorant. wow.. just WOW.
althrough i'm not very good with words. but i found some pictures that explain my point of view very good.
have fun reading them.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55   #14
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Well looks like knuckle has got it covered here. lols

Old 08-06-2012, 12:25   #15
Last Achievements

My old grandpa told me that everyone is different and have different beliefs. He said that opinions were like armpits--some smell sweet and some not so inviting. Guess he was right so why should one waste his time trying to convince another that he/she is right/wrong? You believe what you want and others will believe another way. I do not call you names and berate you but if that is what "trips your trigger" then go for it. Have been called worse by better. When I do die hopefully it will be with a smile on my face and peace in my heart. Not crying that my feet are on fire, saying spiders are crawling all over me, or I can smell sulfur burning like I have seen some go. Believe it or not, embrace it or not, it is totally up to each person. Cursing God is nothing new or novel--Jesus was cursed by the best yet humbly submitted--there was a plan.
Starvation, plagues, pestilences, natural disasters, birth defects, etc. cannot be honestly blamed on God. There have been such since recorded time and there will be more coming-maybe very soon.
Well, I am out of here--at least I have given you some targets to shoot at for awhile--something to vent about--and another to hate so have at it.
Old 08-06-2012, 14:09   #16
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Your grandfather smell alot of armpits did he ? You ain't the first to see someone die friend, but maybe the first to hear that BS come from their mouth and I am guessing if its true they where trying to scare you into grace like everyone else, waste of a last breath if you ask me. Now it is true you can get the taste of metal in your mouth before you die maybe they were thinking sulfur.

Old 08-06-2012, 14:39   #17
Last Achievements

My old grandpa told me that everyone is different and have different beliefs. He said that opinions were like armpits--some smell sweet and some not so inviting. Guess he was right so why should one waste his time trying to convince another that he/she is right/wrong? You believe what you want and others will believe another way. I do not call you names and berate you but if that is what "trips your trigger" then go for it. Have been called worse by better. When I do die hopefully it will be with a smile on my face and peace in my heart. Not crying that my feet are on fire, saying spiders are crawling all over me, or I can smell sulfur burning like I have seen some go. Believe it or not, embrace it or not, it is totally up to each person. Cursing God is nothing new or novel--Jesus was cursed by the best yet humbly submitted--there was a plan.
Starvation, plagues, pestilences, natural disasters, birth defects, etc. cannot be honestly blamed on God. There have been such since recorded time and there will be more coming-maybe very soon.
Well, I am out of here--at least I have given you some targets to shoot at for awhile--something to vent about--and another to hate so have at it.
well yeah you're right. eveyone has their own believes and opinions. but if i hear things like the one you've written. it just gets me raging. because i just can't understand how people can blindliy follow such things.
and no i was not hating. just saying.
Old 08-06-2012, 15:02   #18
anti-capitalist
Points: 71,946, Level: 100 Points: 71,946, Level: 100 Points: 71,946, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

“Curse God and die”. The words of Job’s wife seem out of place. They call for resignation. They are a call to simply give up. In effect, they ask Job to commit suicide. This suggestion is never mentioned again in the book. It doesn’t feature in the long drawn-out conversations between Job and his friends. In fact, this one line from Job’s wife stands alone in the Bible itself. This suggestion did not feature before and will not do so after the Book of Job.

In the opening chapters of the Book of Job, Job’s suffering appears as a multi-layered alienation. His sickness means he can no longer rely on his body. His poverty means he can no longer rely on his wealth. The death of his children and attitude of his wife mean he can no longer rely on his family. We find him “among the ashes”. Sick and poor, Job has lost his value as a human being. He’s socially excluded and left to live on the rubbish heap at the physical edge of society, only visited by 3 friends who are there for an argument. We can imagine that in his days of prosperity Job would have attracted countless so-called friends to attend to him. But with the loss of health and wealth Job finds himself alienated from society. Alienation is a weighty word, but it provides an important description of what is happening to Job. It is part of Satan’s tactic: if he can alienate Job from his family, if he can alienate Job from his wealth, if he can alienate Job from his own body, then certainly he can cut Job off from God.
Homily: Curse God and Die | edifyingdiscourse
Isaiah 28:15-17
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 15:08   #19
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

free why are you posting all that stuff ? I read the first sentence and stop and don't even click on the link. You one of those former door to door jesus salesman ?

Old 08-06-2012, 18:05   #20
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Activity: 39.0% Activity: 39.0% Activity: 39.0%

Originally Posted by KnucklePunche311 View Post
well yeah you're right. eveyone has their own believes and opinions. but if i hear things like the one you've written. it just gets me raging. because i just can't understand how people can blindliy follow such things.
and no i was not hating. just saying.
toochay
Teufel Drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 18:32   #21
Troller of trolls

look at who's too ignorant and inbred-backwoods to spell "touche"
OWNED

Ignore "Tofu Douche" he has zero experience, no life, owns no guns, and has nothing worthwhile to add. He's just lonely, worthless, and needs someone to talk to

hey loser guess who got your last profile banned! lmao i own you punk.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:11   #22
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9% Activity: 16.9%

Who is that guy ? ^^^^^
Big John Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 14:15   #23
Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Brilliant repartee', incisive vision, deeply held convictions from experienced debaters...

But have any of you asked what the bible says of itself?

We are admonished to "Believe not every spirit, but try the spirits, whether they are of God" (1 John 4:1)...to "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith" (2 Cor 13:5)...to "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good". (1 Thess. 5:21)...to "Prove (ing) what is acceptable unto the Lord" (Eph 5:10)...

Jesus said to "Take heed that no man deceive you" (Matthew 24:4).

So what measures have you taken to insure that you know, even only very slightly, the truth of God's Word? Have you proven it? Tested it? Tried it? Set it alongside God's own plumbline? Yes, it is much easier, faster, and much more suited to sentient laziness to decide beforehand that it is all fiction, bunk and folderol...but to fail to know what it says of itself, and then to presume to tell others what you (supposedly) 'think' about the bible is utter, well, it's stupid.

The bible is called, by God, the Plumbline. "And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the Lord, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more:" Amos 7:8.

That plumbline we have today, as the Holy Bible. Isaiah had a little something to say about it as well, "Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place." (Isa 28:17).

A plumbline is objective, absolute...enough so that the pyramids, huge skyscrapers, coliseums and plain old houses are built by it, placed alongside it to insure straightness, trueness, and strength.

Is the bible absolute? Is it objective? Is it incorruptible? Well, it makes such a claim, then proceeds to prove it daily, for millions of those who are smart enough to know they aren't smarter than God, their very creator.

To those who are in God, it is said that we are, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." 1 Peter 1:23.

Incorruptible, absolute, objective, not subject to whim of man, organization, politicians, nor to those such as yourself, who, knowing it all, know nothing. It cannot be added to, nor subtracted from. And calling it lies doesn't make a dent, nor a scratch, not even a blemish, in it. When you are dead and gone, it will remain...

You may not believe it, you may in fact, actively come against it, but bless your reprobate heart, you WILL be judged by it. For no man has any power, in the day of his death, and what happens thereafter cannot be altered,

"There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it." (Ecc 8:8).

You'd be better advised, to spew your venom at those who don't know God, or His Word, than to us who live by Him, unto Him and through Him.

For, "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Matt 12:34-37.

If you have in you, anything other than a reprobate heart and mind, then you might find yourself a place to repent of your unbelief and hasty words, and thoughtless comments...if not though, this won't be first time I've cast pearls before the hogs...and probably not the last.

So you're upstanding, honest to a fault, and brilliant in knowledge...however, when it comes to bad times, would I buy a house from you? Would I come to you for help of any kind? Well, not so long as one single Christian remains on this planet, would I come to you for anything other than to answer your plea for prayer...
Shotgunbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 17:40   #24
Registered Member
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Wow! Really?!

I will pray for all lost souls...

God creates man...
Man creates a warped and ignorant social structure to live in...
Man begins to think he is the center of the universe...
Man destroys God...
God ultimately destroys Man and starts over...

Peace.
FarmFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote