Religion Chit Chat This is a place for all religious talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21   #1
Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Perilous Times...they're here now

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2 Timothy 3:1-7.

See anyone you know in the foregoing? How much of what we see today, is described above? Can we find it on television? Can you see television, WITHOUT finding it?

Two weeks ago, two 20's something fellows kicked a neighbor's door in. The neighbor, having slept with a gun under his pillow for many years, pulled the small caliber pistol, and shot one of them three times, while the other fled. And as far as I know now, is still at large.

The one who was shot ended up at VANDERBILT HOSPITAL in Nashville. No word yet on his condition has reached me.

The world we live in today is not only dangerous, but desperately wicked overall. Yes, there is good in the world, and yes, there are good folks...but we're on the slippery slope, and the events in Revelation are closer everyday.

Reading the quote above, I see what not to do...and a pretty accurate picture of the world around us.
Shotgunbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14   #2
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Shotgunbill View Post
The world we live in today is not only dangerous, but desperately wicked overall. .

Reading the quote above, I see what not to do...and a pretty accurate picture of the world around us.
There is truth in this. I think this is what has been bothering me lately. We are so used to wickedness all around us we come to expect it. Yesterday it just came to me about how much we are lied to on a daily basis. So much so we do not even think about it anymore.

Most emails you get at work contain at least one falsehood.

Most advertising in any form bends the truth.

Simple statement on your dietary supplements “not intended to diagnose or cure any illness or disease.” Yet plastered all over the box are statements saying that in all but fact it will fix everything that ails you.

Or they sell you a product and it stinks but in order to feel you were not duped you start to lie to cover for their lie and your own embarrassment. It is a great rifle even if it only goes bang 3 out of 4 times….right?

Every time anyone in our political system opens there mouth a clear lie comes out, then our news lies to cover the lie.

The lies are even found in many chruches today.

And the biggest danger of this I feel is that once you are lied to so often you come to doubt everything, even if it is clearly truth; in other word your truth detector is overloaded and nothing is the truth.

Second is when you become invested in others lies and defending the lie order not to feel like you were a sucker at the start. (a Pyramid schemes of lies if you will.)

Those things set you up for the big lie. People talk about Hitler and the big lie, but often they forget that it took a decade or more of little lies to pull off his big lies. At no point before being granted emergency power did his party have more than 10% of the population, and never more than 40% of the popular vote. And look where those little lies lead.
I dread where we are headed, but this too must pass.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37   #3
Last Achievements

I guess what I am trying to say is the small lies lead to the perversion of truth, which in turn lead to many of the things listed above.

We build our chains one link at a time never quite seeing them as binding us to our wickedness and that of the world around us.

"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power there of"
Old 03-27-2012, 17:07   #4
Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76 Points: 13,808, Level: 76
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Yes, the lie is incremental. Today, gas is $3.85 a gallon. A year or so ago, it was $2.59 (just a guess, but I'm illustrating a point here). So last week, they raise the price of gas by 25 cents, to $3.89, and everyone shouts in alarm, politicians politicize the whole matter, and everyone ponies up and pays.

But in a few days, the price will fall back to, oh, say $3.50 a gallon, and everyone will rejoice...they only thing is, the price will never again fall below $3.50, but will continue an incremental climb until we come to believe that seeing gasoline at $3.85 is a real blessing, and will never be seen again. The lie now takes precedence to truth...any kind of lie, is to be preferred over any kind of truth. But we do these things at our own peril. For we will not fail, to reap what we've sown.

The problem is the utter absence of an absolute, something objective that is not subject to politics, personal bias, media corruption, big business manipulation, ad infinitum. That is, something that remains the same, regardless of what goes on around us, nationally, even worldwide.

And if we should identify that absolute objective truth or fact, getting everyone to agree to it will be an utter waste of time. Let's just look at the Constitution of the United States. Created to be an absolute, the objective, unchangable law of the land. But it has been under a constant and unending state of assault. Some say, "yes, it is the law of the land, and we must adhere to it", while others say, "it is a living document, and thus, must change with the changing times, mores and values".

So that now, instead of an absolute, an objective truth, the Constitution is an anachronism, something on the way out, a joke for many who were born and raised under its precepts and principles.

For me, the Word of God is the absolute that rises above all else. While the Constitution can and has been corrupted, the Word of God is incorruptible. It is not subjective, it cannot be altered, added too, or subtracted from. Oh yes, the attempts to do that are manifold and serious. But they fail, will always fail, for the Word is incorruptible, the words of an incorruptible God.

God promised He would give to us, that absolute, that objective truth, in the Word,

"Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the Lord stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand. And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the Lord, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more:" Amos 7:7-8.

And Peter tells us from whence cometh our own eternal life,

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." 1 Peter 1:23.

For even our judgment is set alongside the plumbline, the Word, as Isaiah tells us,

"Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet:" Isa 28:17.

And yet, even religion, that which is supposed to save us from these things, disavows the Bible, the Word of God. To oppose the Word is manly, intellectual, brave, and so forth...when in truth, it leads to death on an eternal basis.

I do wish people would just read the bible. They'd find so much of life therein, that their own very lives would be transformed, transformed beyond their wildest imaginations.
Shotgunbill is offline   Reply With Quote