Religion Chit Chat This is a place for all religious talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:42   #1
Points: 4,559, Level: 43 Points: 4,559, Level: 43 Points: 4,559, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I'd like to find out how this works out

The standard approach doesn't seem to work very well.

Alabama Judge Gives Criminals Choice: Go to Jail or Go to Church | NBC Miami
lostalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 16:11   #2
Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18
Last Achievements

Does the Alabama in your sig mean you're from the south? If so, do you remember Br'er Rabbit?

I'd be a one man crime spree if I'd knew I'd be sentenced to church....well, maybe not, but still and all, it's something to think about.
Sahagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:12   #3
Points: 4,559, Level: 43 Points: 4,559, Level: 43 Points: 4,559, Level: 43
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Sahagan View Post
Does the Alabama in your sig mean you're from the south? If so, do you remember Br'er Rabbit?

Yep

I'd be a one man crime spree if I'd knew I'd be sentenced to church....well, maybe not, but still and all, it's something to think about.
But you don't have to be southern to see that when something you have been doing as a mater of course doesn't work you need to try something else. Thinking outside of the box even if it doesn't always work is usually the only way to achieve change in anything. IMHO
lostalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37   #4
Last Achievements

I don't think being sentenced to church would be much of a deterrent to most criminals. And not only so, but many jails already have ministers and other church folks visiting on a regular basis.

What I think would help most, would be to show an even-handedness in the application and enforcement of the law. Even-handed in that your social position wouldn't auger either way for you, good or bad. Do the crime, do the time, whether a gang-banger or a businessman.

Enforce sentencing headlines across the board. And STOP! the apparent total lack of commitment to indicting and sentencing the kind of people, especially in the financial and political world, that has allowed the rape and destruction of the economy of this nation and by extension, pretty much the whole developed world.

I do not believe, will never believe, that no laws were broken on the way to where we are economically today. And I also believe that should apply to policitcal crony capitalism, such as we seeing in the Solyndra rip-off.

Just my poor opinion upon a poor situation.
Old 09-27-2011, 14:40   #5
Points: 6,138, Level: 50 Points: 6,138, Level: 50 Points: 6,138, Level: 50
Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5%
Last Achievements

+ 1 on that
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 16:16   #6
anti-capitalist
Points: 73,701, Level: 100 Points: 73,701, Level: 100 Points: 73,701, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Sahagan View Post
What I think would help most, would be to show an even-handedness in the application and enforcement of the law. Even-handed in that your social position wouldn't auger either way for you, good or bad. Do the crime, do the time, whether a gang-banger or a businessman.

Enforce sentencing headlines across the board. And STOP! the apparent total lack of commitment to indicting and sentencing the kind of people, especially in the financial and political world, that has allowed the rape and destruction of the economy of this nation and by extension, pretty much the whole developed world.

I do not believe, will never believe, that no laws were broken on the way to where we are economically today. And I also believe that should apply to policitcal crony capitalism, such as we seeing in the Solyndra rip-off.
I agree 100% but ... there is much that is known about the financial meltdown, and was never prosecuted, so why mention Solyndra specifically, about which much remains to be determined, except to politicize your entire point? Even if the Solyndra thing turns out to be totally rotten, it will be a grain of sand in relation in the vast ocean of criminality and corruption that was the finanical meltdown. That is not to say anyone guilty there shouldn't also be punished, but it seems odd to mention that only.
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08   #7
Last Achievements

Well, I mention Solyndra simply by way of saying, "such as we're seeing now", and for no other reason. To me, it seems just another in a very long line of rip offs of the citizenry of this country.

I mean really, how can a body imagine the 'loss' of 550 million dollars, without SOMEONE being enriched thereby? The money isn't falling off trucks into ditches...

And the trillion dollar stimulus? Insofar as I can tell, and I looked, real hard, not one single dime of that money made it into my county, perhaps not even my whole state.

And the auto bailouts? Simply served to drive up prices and quality down, as far as I can tell. And on the way of course, enrich the unions and others. Which was apparently, the whole purpose anyway. As usual...

But I can carry you to places even in this rural not-much-of-a-county where the WPA built bridges, destroyed historic Indian villages, constructed public buildings, even one roadside park where the only structure standing is a non-flush toilet built by the WPA. And wonder of wonders!!! Isn't it amazing? Actual people, who needed jobs, worked on those projects and actually made money.

Works bills should provide work. To people who need work, who are without jobs, not to people who serve as middlemen and skim off the majority of the money before it ever reaches the first jobless man or woman.

I think most people have a good feeling about themselves when other folks think well of them...and badly about themselves when others think they're crooks, or stupid, or blatant rip off artists.

But this government, well, it's looking like more and more people are thinking badly of it. I know I am. I know I'll most likely never have any more use for this government, than I would a good case of leprosy...

And I guess this is the wrong thread for such an observation, but anyway, that's what I see.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11   #8
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Last Achievements

"I agree 100% but ... there is much that is known about the financial meltdown,"

We know that it was all Bush's fault though right?
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11   #9
anti-capitalist
Points: 73,701, Level: 100 Points: 73,701, Level: 100 Points: 73,701, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

The financial industry was adamant about doing away with Glass Steagal. During the '90s the Republicans, especially Sen. Phil Gramm, pushed for its repeal. Some Democrats also voted to repeal it, and Pres. Clinton signed it. Bush was still Governor Bush at the time.

Note who did oppose the repeal:

They don't include Republicans.

Sometimes you ask a sarcastic question and get a serious answer. Well, this is the religion section after all.

And Pres. Bush sure was president when up to $18 billion in cash just "disappeared" in Iraq.

Oh there's much more, the bank bailouts and all the rest, but this isn't really the place to go into that.
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 13:11   #10
Last Achievements

Let me add one more thought.

The president's money man says that two hundred thousand per job is a good deal.

Is there a man on this forum, who couldn't take $200,000.00 and start a business that would employ TEN people? And turn a profit within the first year?

If not, I've sorely overestimated the abilities of those doing the talking around here....
Old 09-28-2011, 15:35   #11
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Last Achievements

Well let's not even bother to get into Carter's infamous Community Reinvestment Act.
Also, don't even try the lie about republicans not being included in those who opposed the Gramm Leach Bliley act. In the Senate, 1 republican voted against, (Shelby) and one abstained from voting (McCain). In the House, 5 voted against and 10 abstained. Any way you look at it, it received overwhelming bi-partisan support in both houses, and it was signed into law by a democrat President.

Last edited by woodstock; 09-28-2011 at 16:35.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote