Religion Chit Chat This is a place for all religious talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 19:29   #1
Points: 5,417, Level: 47 Points: 5,417, Level: 47 Points: 5,417, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Catholic protecting sex abusers

Can someone give me the low down from the inside. What rational are ordinary fokes in this abomination passing it's self off as religion using to keep handing over those offerings? It's pretty clear there are still many big names among them who haven't been prosecuted.

Last edited by lostalabama; 06-18-2011 at 14:15.
lostalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:08   #2
Points: 698, Level: 13 Points: 698, Level: 13 Points: 698, Level: 13
Last Achievements

Start with the current pope. It's truly amazing to me why no single catholic bishop is in jail for protecting child molesters.
Kalidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14   #3
Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57 Points: 7,464, Level: 57
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

They simply forgive them and in their blind eyes, all is better. For the victim, they simply pray for them and expound how they'll be at peace in Heaven. All a bunch of pedophilic hypocrites IMO. Jail em all and none of this current procrastination.
BlkHawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:17   #4
Points: 6,407, Level: 52 Points: 6,407, Level: 52 Points: 6,407, Level: 52
Activity: 24.5% Activity: 24.5% Activity: 24.5%
Last Achievements

the pope himself should be in jail the catholic rel is a joke just a haven to rape kids and spit on gods words.why are these people held above the law whats wrong with you peoplethe catholics are lairs baby rapers and thieves.no better than muslims pray on the week and the young isint that nice all in gods name to boot.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 19:13   #5
anti-capitalist
Points: 77,906, Level: 100 Points: 77,906, Level: 100 Points: 77,906, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

It is hard to imagine anything worse than priests, who are supposed to represent God, abusing children. That the Catholic Church should immediately cease covering for abusers goes without saying. In addition they should cooperate with law enforcement and civil authorities in their investigations of abuse. Hiding these crimes behind sovereign immunity is itself an abuse of that immunity, and worse, a grave scandal to the Church. It is time for the chips to fall where they may, and until that happens, the Church will continue to be hampered in evangelizing. I fear there are other shoes to drop, in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The Church should be proactive in rooting abusers out from now on, not reactive as before. The culture of impunity for some priests - and the silent complicity of others- must end.
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 14:21   #6
Last Achievements

I guess all the good catholics subscribed here are sure that money they give is buying their ticket to heaven and be damed anthing else it's used for. Come on folks us heathens just want to understand.
Old 06-20-2011, 15:23   #7
anti-capitalist
Points: 77,906, Level: 100 Points: 77,906, Level: 100 Points: 77,906, Level: 100
Last Achievements

My guess is the good Catholics subscribed here aren't interested in participating in a thread meant solely to bash and distort and slander. Your sarcasm is noted. This thread isn't about understanding anything, only slinging mud. So have at it. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
Old 06-20-2011, 23:33   #8
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Last Achievements

Sadly, it seems to be the way of the internet for people to seek out any negative they can come up with. It's far easier to point out the speck in someone's eye and ignore the mote in their own eye. Child abuse, love of money, vain glory, abuse of power, there is not one faith tradition, denomination, or non-denominational group that it has not happened in. I am not a Roman Catholic, have disagreement with some of their dogma, but find no joy in pointing out their problems. My job is to work on the problems I can control, and that is my own personal life, not someone elses. Get a life. Try working towards healing rather than tearing others down.
Old 06-20-2011, 23:39   #9
Last Achievements

Funny, the AUP for this forum states:
We shall respect all religions.

This section is not for bashing, hate talk, haters or trolls.

yet it is allowed. Guess it applies only to some relgious faiths and not others. Why am I not surprised.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:28   #10
Points: 6,407, Level: 52 Points: 6,407, Level: 52 Points: 6,407, Level: 52
Activity: 24.5% Activity: 24.5% Activity: 24.5%
Last Achievements

sorry were not all perfect like you goss.so your one who just wants to egnore the truth and in your perfect world what should one think and do about this.these are crimes with little kids using gods name thats ok with you just turn a blind eye to it.seems the truth hurts or you wouldent be looking at the forum rules.all you b.s. hollyer than thou attitude wont push this under the rug.bottom line is crimes with little innocent kids i cant belive you could even try to defend these buttheads or shut this down.its you bleeding hearts who scare me.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:40   #11
anti-capitalist
Last Achievements

There is no sincerity in the way the "question" was asked. No intent to "understand." The OP is nothing but an invitation to heap abuse, and those so inclined, offered the chance to unload some of that excess venom they carry around, jumped at it.

All a bunch of pedophilic hypocrites IMO
the catholic rel is a joke just a haven to rape kids and spit on gods words.why are these people held above the law whats wrong with you peoplethe catholics are lairs baby rapers and thieves.no better than muslims pray on the week and the young isint that nice all in gods name to boot.
I guess all the good catholics subscribed here are sure that money they give is buying their ticket to heaven and be damed anthing else it's used for
Only Kalidude's reply made any sense. The rest is just ranting and raving.

these are crimes with little kids using gods name thats ok with you just turn a blind eye to it. ... i cant belive you could even try to defend these buttheads ...
B.S. Gossman wrote nothing of the sort. Why don't try actually understanding what you're reading instead of just flying off the handle?
Old 06-21-2011, 14:55   #12
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
sorry were not all perfect like you goss.so your one who just wants to egnore the truth and in your perfect world what should one think and do about this.these are crimes with little kids using gods name thats ok with you just turn a blind eye to it.seems the truth hurts or you wouldent be looking at the forum rules.all you b.s. hollyer than thou attitude wont push this under the rug.bottom line is crimes with little innocent kids i cant belive you could even try to defend these buttheads or shut this down.its you bleeding hearts who scare me.
I refuse to damn all Catholics because of the priest abuse issue. It needs to be taken care of and they have been way too slow in acting, but it is not all priests or all bishops that are at fault. Just as I refuse to accuse all Muslims as terrorists, all southerners as Klansmen, or Russians as atheists. Broad sweeping generalzations are the biggest mistake anyone can make and it just leads to misunderstandings and ignorance. As to sexual abuse and the clergy, need I make a post about the issue among the issue in the Southern Baptist ranks? Identify all scout leaders as pedophiles? As far as shutting this down, the AUP clearly defines what this forum is for. I suppose we should let it circle the drain into the sewer like the political and general forums.
Old 06-21-2011, 15:17   #13
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Gents, The Grumpy clown is right.

Thanks Goss.
yet again yours is a voice of reason in the religion forum, and an example for all to follow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 20:41   #14
Last Achievements

my friend

Originally Posted by freesw View Post
My guess is the good Catholics subscribed here aren't interested in participating in a thread meant solely to bash and distort and slander. Your sarcasm is noted. This thread isn't about understanding anything, only slinging mud. So have at it. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
You disparage understanding which was the core question. You only guess about the catholics motivation for avoidance. Then demonstrate your insight into what the inquiry is really about. Please use this gift of penetrating mind reading evenly and tell us how a catholic copes with this issue. Be fair and be well.
Old 06-21-2011, 21:08   #15
anti-capitalist
Last Achievements

I am not a "good" Catholic, but I gave you my answer, in post 5. But clearly my expression of anguish and hope for better wasn't enough for you, because you skipped right over it to post more snarky comments. Your first post set the tone for the bash-fest that followed. It is obvious your questions are not asked in good faith.
Old 06-21-2011, 21:55   #16
Last Achievements

Sorry

Originally Posted by freesw View Post
I am not a "good" Catholic, but I gave you my answer, in post 5. But clearly my expression of anguish and hope for better wasn't enough for you, because you skipped right over it to post more snarky comments. Your first post set the tone for the bash-fest that followed. It is obvious your questions are not asked in good faith.
I didn't gather from post 5 you were a catholic. I thought you were just taking the role of apologist as many center-est do. Do you tithe or make offerings or is that what keeps you from being "good"?
Old 06-21-2011, 23:07   #17
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by lostalabama View Post
I didn't gather from post 5 you were a catholic. I thought you were just taking the role of apologist as many center-est do. Do you tithe or make offerings or is that what keeps you from being "good"?
I am interested on why you care? Are you thinking of converting? Have you even read much on the Catholic faith? Or are you just looking for a way to slam and bash the Roman Church? There are a billion members worldwide, 68 million here in the states alone. Mighty large group to pass judgement on by anecdotal evidence garnered from a small forum that qpparently boasts one Latin Rite member.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:16   #18
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gossman View Post
I am interested on why you care? Are you thinking of converting? Have you even read much on the Catholic faith? Or are you just looking for a way to slam and bash the Roman Church? There are a billion members worldwide, 68 million here in the states alone. Mighty large group to pass judgement on by anecdotal evidence garnered from a small forum that qpparently boasts one Latin Rite member.
I want to understand a little of why we people do some of the contrary things we do. I have some chatholic aquantances but didn't want to put anyone off I had to interact with on a regular basis so I asked here.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04   #19
Last Achievements

Contrary things are done because all men are under the stain of sin. I am not a member of the Roman Catholic Church but I have worked with them and spent some time studying them along with other faiths and religions. The RC made a grave error, they have admitted it. The dogma and understanding of salvation within the RC places a high priority on repentance and restoration, not necessarily the need to prosecute the offenders. They are treating this crime no different than they would have treated any other crime within their faith. Also we need to remember that they hold the office of confessor very high and sacred, things confessed are not for the public. It is hard to understand these concepts within our current culture since this culture is continually in flux, the fact that nothing is ever kept secret, and we respect nothing that may be sacred to others. All this is said not to reduce the heinous acts that have been committed, not in defense of the RC, but to try and simply explain how they may look at it. It doesn't fit our standard of justice, but even that is fluid and dependent on the region or the community. The average RC is not complacent with what has happened, they have pressured their parish priests and bishops to do what is right while maintaining the integrity of confession. Damning a billion adherents to a faith over the sins of minority is silly and borders on the ignorant. They have moved to take care of the problem, perhaps not as we see fit but what is regulated and called for within canonical law. And if one is a protestant, lets remember that all protestants are truly "crypto catholics", that in saying their faith had sprung from the RC faith, most of which use and agree with idea of salvation as placed forth by Augustine of Hippo.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27   #20
anti-capitalist
Last Achievements

I want to understand a little of why we people do some of the contrary things we do. I have some chatholic aquantances but didn't want to put anyone off I had to interact with on a regular basis so I asked here.
Yes, I can see how broaching the subject with expressions like "abomination passing it's self off as religion" and "buying their ticket to heaven" might put someone off.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't expect a similar response online.

I'm going to give a serious but brief answer, mostly intended for anyone who stumbles on this thread later. My impression is that much of the Church hierarchy in this country still doesn't get it, still seeks scapegoats, still won't face up to the real causes, whatever they may be, but as they are best situated of all mortals to know or find out.
US Catholic Church study blames 1960s permissiveness for rise in sexual abuse | World news | guardian.co.uk
Catholic Church: Report indicts '60s counterculture in Catholic abuse cases - Los Angeles Times

How do I cope with it? Not easily.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32   #21
anti-capitalist
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gossman View Post
... The dogma and understanding of salvation within the RC places a high priority on repentance and restoration, not necessarily the need to prosecute the offenders. They are treating this crime no different than they would have treated any other crime within their faith. Also we need to remember that they hold the office of confessor very high and sacred, things confessed are not for the public. It is hard to understand these concepts within our current culture since this culture is continually in flux, the fact that nothing is ever kept secret, and we respect nothing that may be sacred to others. All this is said not to reduce the heinous acts that have been committed, not in defense of the RC, but to try and simply explain how they may look at it ...
^ Very astute.

In this connection it has to be noted,
... that church leaders remained more concerned with rehabilitating priests than with helping victims until 20 years later after those who suffered abuse mounted legal action.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...l-abuse-report
Old 06-22-2011, 18:29   #22
Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18
Last Achievements

Just an appropriate bit of scripture, if I may be permitted...Or you may consider it inappropriate,

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2 Tim. 2:19. Sin, and naming the name of Christ, are incompatible.

And, "Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit." Matt 12:33.

We are continually assaulted by their claims of righteousness and repentance; God knows them by their fruit...and whose opinion, theirs, ours, or God's, will figure most into judgment?
Sahagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 21:38   #23
Last Achievements

I guess speculation from me is ok too

I don't like what the gov does with my tax money but I pay because of the threat of violance if I don't. I supose catholics give there money to the church because of the threat of hell for themselves if they don't. Psalms 137:9 as the cleregy happly count the money after.
Old 06-22-2011, 21:44   #24
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Sahagan View Post
Just an appropriate bit of scripture, if I may be permitted...Or you may consider it inappropriate,

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2 Tim. 2:19. Sin, and naming the name of Christ, are incompatible.

And, "Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit." Matt 12:33.

We are continually assaulted by their claims of righteousness and repentance; God knows them by their fruit...and whose opinion, theirs, ours, or God's, will figure most into judgment?
Within the totality of scripture it would bear that it is God's job to judge them. As said before, I cannot condemn the entire RC faith over the sins of the few. Same goes with any protestant denomination or non-denominational faith tradition. I can find countless failures of the ministers in those too, so what do we do? Realize that though men may have sinned, we cannot judge them eternally, for we do not know their heart. We can be leary and aware, to reduce the possibilities of such things happen again. Since this issue never came up concerning Boy Scouts (and they have a bigger percentage of abuse there) all I can think of that the main reason for this "conversation" and the words used against the RC Church by those here, that this thread is nothing but an attack on the RC faith as a whole, not a concern with the welfare of children or the health of the Church. Perhaps our efforts would best be spent praying for both the victims, the perpetrators, and the universal church.
Old 06-22-2011, 21:59   #25
anti-capitalist
Last Achievements

I don't like what the gov does with my tax money but I pay because of the threat of violance if I don't. I supose catholics give there money to the church because of the threat of hell for themselves if they don't. Psalms 137:9 as the cleregy happly count the money after.
Then I trust you'll take some satisfaction that, largely though by no means solely from consternation over this matter, I neither contribute much nor avail myself of the sacraments much lately. A condition from which I take no solace. Are ye satisfied now?