Religion Chit Chat This is a place for all religious talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 06:23   #1
Points: 9,940, Level: 66 Points: 9,940, Level: 66 Points: 9,940, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

"Any place (person) that does not receive you or listen to you, as you go out from there, shake the dust off the soles of your feet for a testimony against them" Luke 9:4

A thread was recently started in this forum that is transparently mean-spirited and vindictive. It is neither constructive or uplifting and was not meant to be.

The verse above is Jesus' own words instructing his disciples as how to deal with those that "hear not". Basically, He is saying to just move on. They are not worth wasting more time on as there are other people eager to hear and accept the Word. In simplest terms.... IGNORE THEM.

I am going to heed the advice of Jesus. Any post, in any forum, authored by this non-receptive, trouble making individual will be ignored completely by me. I can only encourage the rest of you to do likewise. We all have better things to do, better things to say, and much better people to say them to.

Edited to change Bible verse mistakenly reference as seen and pointed out by ruger22c. Thank you for checking that out and bringing it to my attention.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03   #2
Points: 9,582, Level: 65 Points: 9,582, Level: 65 Points: 9,582, Level: 65
Last Achievements

I was just thinking the same thing. I think this should go as far as not answering any weapons relatid quetions.
Old 01-12-2006, 13:27   #3
Points: 13,151, Level: 74 Points: 13,151, Level: 74 Points: 13,151, Level: 74
Last Achievements

Good advice.

Here is my smartass "ignore" button for those that wish to use it.

Swordslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 15:52   #4
Points: 16,596, Level: 82 Points: 16,596, Level: 82 Points: 16,596, Level: 82
Last Achievements

Kewl with me, it's like being in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, anyway

There are only two things stopping you, common sense and fear!

Patriot Guard Rider

BigUglyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:36   #5
Points: 11,289, Level: 70 Points: 11,289, Level: 70 Points: 11,289, Level: 70
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Metaldoc@Jan 12 2006, 08:23 AM
"Any place (person) that does not receive you or listen to you, as you go out from there, shake the dust off the soles of your feet for a testimony against them" Mark 6:14
Huh? That's Mark 6:14? This is what I found... "Mar 6:14 And king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him."

Is this what you want? "Luk 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them."

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
1Cr 10:31 Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Ruger22C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40   #6
Last Achievements

Originally posted by SPARTEN117@Jan 12 2006, 09:03 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. I think this should go as far as not answering any weapons relatid quetions.
Check the CONTEXT of the verse, this only took my a minute or two, I'm sure if I spent more time I could get more for you, but read the verse before it.

"Luk 9:4 And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
Luk 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them. "

" And whatsoever house ye enter into" "And whosoever will not receive you"

Gill's commentary on this, "Luk 9:5 - And whosoever will not receive you,.... Unto their houses:"

Now tell me, how many have actually Refused to take you into their house? I seriously doubt, that any of you have ever asked a board member if you could stay at their house, let alone with religous intent.

Instead, follow Christ's example: "Luk 15:2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. "

While remembering, "1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. "

I am going to heed the advice of Jesus. Any post, in any forum, authored by this non-receptive, trouble making individual will be ignored completely by me. I can only encourage the rest of you to do likewise. We all have better things to do, better things to say, and much better people to say them to.
"Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; "

Not that I agree with the doctrines I have seen many of you show, but what is Your goal, to win souls, or to demand your 'proper respect'?

"What is the proper respect which is due to poor creatures like ourselves? I ween that if any one of us did get our “proper respect,” we should not like it long: are should think that bare justice was rather scant in its appreciation. We desire to be flattered when we cry out for “proper respect.” Respect, indeed! Why if we had our desert, we should be in the lowest hell! " (Spurgeon)

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
1Cr 10:31 Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:59   #7
Last Achievements

Thank you Mr. Spark Johnson for your careful observation. I did indeed ascribe the wrong reference to that verse.

However, taken in context, as all Bible reading should be, the advice given here is not if a disciple had been physically allowed into a persons house, but if the message they had been taking was accepted or rebuked. So to clarify let me add this text.

"And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it and stay with him until you depart. As you enter the house, salute it. And if the house is worthy let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. And if any one will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town. Truly I say to you, it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. " Matthew 10:11-15

This doesn't sound wishy-washy to me and that is the basis for my comments. The one I refer to has shown repeatedly on many occasions by his posts that he is not receptive.

"Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; "
I certainly do not disagree with that. So how is staying out of non-productive arguments contrary to that teaching ?

Instead, follow Christ's example: "Luk 15:2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. "
Yes He did. But you will notice these sinners also received Him.

You will also notice that Christ strongly rebuked those who taught something other than His truths. Read the entire chapter of Matthew 23 where Jesus strongly rebuked the improper teachings of the Pharisees. Jesus did not say, " Well, you believe what you want and that's okay."

Matthew 10: So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in Heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

This is where the rubber meets the road. There is but ONE way, and that is through Jesus Christ. When we stand firm on that belief, we are branded as intolerant. So be it.

"You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3

As far as the purpose of this thread, I stand by it. I refuse to be drawn into a mudslinging debacle. It becomes counterproductive. See my first post. I stand by those reasons and nothing else needs to be read into it. It is not an attack nor is it a surrender. It is merely moving on to more productive things.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06   #8
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Ruger22C+Jan 13 2006, 09:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ruger22C @ Jan 13 2006, 09:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SPARTEN117@Jan 12 2006, 09:03 AM
Check the CONTEXT of the verse, this only took my a minute or two, I'm sure if I spent more time I could get more for you, but read the verse before it.

"Luk 9:4 And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
Luk 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them. "

" And whatsoever house ye enter into" "And whosoever will not receive you"

Gill's commentary on this, "Luk 9:5 - And whosoever will not receive you,.... Unto their houses:"

Now tell me, how many have actually Refused to take you into their house? I seriously doubt, that any of you have ever asked a board member if you could stay at their house, let alone with religous intent.

While remembering, "1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. "

Not that I agree with the doctrines I have seen many of you show, but what is Your goal, to win souls, or to demand your 'proper respect'?

"What is the proper respect which is due to poor creatures like ourselves? I ween that if any one of us did get our “proper respect,” we should not like it long: are should think that bare justice was rather scant in its appreciation. We desire to be flattered when we cry out for “proper respect.” Respect, indeed! Why if we had our desert, we should be in the lowest hell! " (Spurgeon)

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson. [/b][/quote]
This is interesting. You quote these scriptures in a way that neuters Christians. Theres no wonder the churches of today are filled with women, and very few men. Behind the pulpit should be a huge set of castrating snips, in the place of the cross. You, quite a young fella, stand up on your hind legs to quote Scripture to Doc???? You take the side of an anti-Christ over that of a Christian??? I believe that Doc's refference was very fitting, and well within the context of dealing with people over the internet.

You bark (a whimpy bark) at Big'n and quote "evil communications" to him openly. But yet you said not a word when the "fella" of the subject matter cursed me and openly suggested I kill myself???? Would you like me to quote him???? Yet you stand up and call down your Christian elder for saying that we should ignore this (man, boy, girl, whatever it is) thing? You quote your little judeo comentary with intent to DISRESPECT a Christian elder???? You need to take a look at your own self here, buddy.

You asked a while back on how to become a pastor. Sounds like you are on the right path to become a modern day pastor. You should get a BIG pair of those snips and put them behind the pulpit, and on your business card.

Why didnt you just agree with him that ignoring this little anti-Christ would be a good idea???? No you felt the need to openly chastize him.

I'm ashamed of you.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:49   #9
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Metaldoc@Jan 13 2006, 08:59 AM
I certainly do not disagree with that. So how is staying out of non-productive arguments contrary to that teaching ?
"Any post, in any forum, authored by this non-receptive, trouble making individual will be ignored completely by me." "I certainly do not disagree with that. So how is staying out of non-productive arguments contrary to that teaching ?"

I may have mis-understood the context, but it sounded like you wanted to completely ignore that individual, whether or not he was at the time making trouble.

1Co 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

"This is where the rubber meets the road. There is but ONE way, and that is through Jesus Christ. When we stand firm on that belief, we are branded as intolerant. So be it. "

Mat 11:27 All things are delivered to Me by My Father. And no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son will reveal Him.

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00   #10
Last Achievements

"You, quite a young fella, stand up on your hind legs to quote Scripture to Doc???? "
Doc did not seem so puffed up as to not allow a 'young fella' to quote scripture to him, rather, he replied quite proffesionally I believe, and stated his view with better support.

"You take the side of an anti-Christ over that of a Christian???"
Be careful how you throw that word around, it is a very strong one. But as well, I do not know 'who' is the topic of your discussion.

" But yet you said not a word when the "fella" of the subject matter cursed me and openly suggested I kill myself????"
Do you mean plinky? When did he ever claim to be a Christian? I can't quote scripture to an Athiest.

"Yet you stand up and call down your Christian elder for saying that we should ignore this (man, boy, girl, whatever it is) thing?"
As I stated above, I may have misunderstood the context he meant.

" You quote your little judeo comentary with intent to DISRESPECT a Christian elder???? You need to take a look at your own self here, buddy. You asked a while back on how to become a pastor. Sounds like you are on the right path to become a modern day pastor. "

'intent of DISRESPECT', that I can't say that I'm sure of; I have a mental disability that I often come off as arrogant, or rude, unintentionally and unknowingly, as well if I did, I appologize. As far as becoming a pastor, that was probably before I knew of my problem. Secondly, why did you Assume I knew this man was an elder? I did not. But also, what church/denomination is he an elder of?

"Why didnt you just agree with him that ignoring this little anti-Christ would be a good idea???? "
Other than I am not sure of the context(A part of my disability), and WHO you are talking about, I cannot agree with someone's doctrine if I believe it to be wrong, which I did - and now I am neutral until further posting.

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:50   #11
Last Achievements

Deleted message. Whats the use.
Old 01-13-2006, 13:12   #12
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Swordslinger@Jan 13 2006, 02:50 PM
And I have brain damage, so what!! Thats no excuse! If you didnt understand me the first time, go re-read it. While you are at it, look up the word elder, will ya?

I have have no more to say, other than I'm disapointed.

Thank you, Signed,

An Ambasasador for Christ, with the Authority to reprove, rebuke, and exhort.
That's no excuse? And even if I don't KNOW that I am being rude, or even if I don't completely understand what it means? Forget it, I appologized, explained why I may have come off that way, and this is what I get; I'm done here.

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
Old 01-13-2006, 13:53   #13
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Ruger22C+Jan 13 2006, 09:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ruger22C @ Jan 13 2006, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Swordslinger@Jan 13 2006, 02:50 PM
And I have brain damage, so what!! Thats no excuse! If you didnt understand me the first time, go re-read it. While you are at it, look up the word elder, will ya?

I have have no more to say, other than I'm disapointed.

Thank you, Signed,

An Ambasasador for Christ, with the Authority to reprove, rebuke, and exhort.
That's no excuse? And even if I don't KNOW that I am being rude, or even if I don't completely understand what it means? Forget it, I appologized, explained why I may have come off that way, and this is what I get; I'm done here.

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson. [/b][/quote]
My last statement was out of line. Please forgive me.
Old 01-13-2006, 15:30   #14
Last Achievements

And I have brain damage
well you just proved that sword. dud you've got to turn the intensity leaval down a few notches. I dislike plinky just as much as you, but their is no need to involve others. plinky has you fighting amongst your self's. He has beaten you and you dont even realize it.
Old 01-13-2006, 15:43   #15
Last Achievements

Originally posted by SPARTEN117@Jan 13 2006, 11:30 PM
And I have brain damage
well you just proved that sword. dud you've got to turn the intensity leaval down a few notches. I dislike plinky just as much as you, but their is no need to involve others. plinky has you fighting amongst your self's. He has beaten you and you dont even realize it.
Old 01-13-2006, 16:22   #16
Last Achievements

You better be laughing with me.
Old 01-13-2006, 16:29   #17
Last Achievements

Ruger22c,

I hope you at least check back to see another viewpoint expressed. Your admission to having some brain damage is duly noted. I'm not sure what you suffer from, but rest assured that most of us here suffer some form of brain damage and it is usually called pride and ego. I know I do and I have to ask forgiveness for it on a daily basis.

Sometimes I'm not sure where you are coming from but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as I think you are truly sincere about trying to understand.
As far as plinky goes, the subject is over for me and I do not consider that a non-Christian attitude. He has just shown (on many posts, even on other forums) that he is more interested in argument and being right. I will not feed his habit.

Let me explain my stance a bit further so as to not confuse others following this thread. The most common thing a Christian will hear from non-believers is that we think we are better than everyone else, commonly expressed that we think we are "holier than thou".

A true Christian does not believe that about themselves for a minute. We know all too well that we are sinners. We know that we will continue to sin. But we also know we are forgiven those sins and we try our best to do better.

But a true believer does believe that salvation and eternal life is ONLY through belief in Jesus Christ. That's what the Bible tells us and a true believer accepts the bible as truth.

The rub comes when we are told we should be tolerant and accept other belief systems. If someone wants to worship Buddha, Mohammed, money or themselves, that is their decision to make, and I am not going to hassle them. ( I may certainly pray for them though).

But I will not deny my Lord and Savior to pacify non-believers and the Bible says I may have to lay down my life for my belief. When and if that time comes, I will.

To a non-believer that statement is absolutely ludicrous and makes me an extremist. To that extent, yes, I am an extremist.

To be a Christian is to be an extremist according to the world view. But because I am an extremist by that definition does not mean I am going to go on a Crusade to wipe out the unbelievers. Judgment belongs to God.

I am not offended by the questions you raised. They were valid. And I appreciate your catching me putting the wrong bible verse reference to the verse I listed. Please return to the post where I first responded to you and reread the verse from Matthew. It is much clearer and can hardly be misunderstood.

Hang in there, guy. Studying and understanding the Bible is a life long process. The most important thing to keep in mind is that Jesus died on the cross for you, too!
Old 01-14-2006, 03:20   #18
Last Achievements

"I hope you at least check back to see another viewpoint expressed. Your admission to having some brain damage"

I did not claim brain damage, I said mental disability. As far as I know, they are not the same. Brain damage is a lesser intelligence, is it not? (Not intended to start a fight; just clarifying.)

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:41   #19
Last Achievements

Originally posted by Ruger22C@Jan 14 2006, 05:20 AM
I did not claim brain damage, I said mental disability. As far as I know, they are not the same. Brain damage is a lesser intelligence, is it not? (Not intended to start a fight; just clarifying.)

Thank you, Signed,
Spark Johnson.
The brain damage reference was picked up from one of the quotes in this thread. I went back and reread this entire thread and found where you indeed did claim a mental disability rather than brain damage.

When I referenced that term I erroneously thought it was from text quoting you. Upon going further back, I find you were misquoted.

I apologize for that.

That said, I hope you read the rest of that post as well.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58   #20
Last Achievements

I'm the less inteligent one with drain bamage. I am also crippled. I dont like the word "disability" because it is tells me that I am "un-able" to do something. I dont accept that for a second. But I do have one of the parking passes so that I get all the good spaces at Wal-Mart.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:53   #21
Last Achievements

Brain damage has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with function. The damage to the function could be to the cognitive portion (thought processes) or to the physical portion (motor skills, smells, sight) or a combination.

In Swords case it's mostly motor function but it also made his ears stand straight out from his head and his eyes cross... he looks like jug with handles on it.

Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-15-2006, 07:24   #22
Last Achievements

Originally posted by BigUglyOne@Jan 15 2006, 06:53 AM
Brain damage has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with function. The damage to the function could be to the cognitive portion (thought processes) or to the physical portion (motor skills, smells, sight) or a combination.

In Swords case it's mostly motor function but it also made his ears stand straight out from his head and his eyes cross... he looks like jug with handles on it.

Big'n, Big'n, Big'n........ there you go again ! It's a good thing I had just set my coffee down or I'd sprayed the monitor.

Now, in case anyone thinks this went off thread, please reconsider.

THIS is exactly what a Christian should do. At times we need to lighten up, not get defensive and have a good laugh.

Lest you think it's disrespectful to Sword, those of us that know and love him, know that he is the first to poke fun at himself. He will roar with laughter when he reads it................ and then wait for his chance to get even.

Sometimes we tend to take ourselves too seriously. When we do, we need to take a step back and perhaps humble ourselves.

Laughter is the best medicine and it's good for the soul !
Old 01-15-2006, 09:52   #23
Last Achievements

Originally posted by BigUglyOne@Jan 15 2006, 12:53 PM

Yep, Thats me!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:23   #24
Last Achievements

Nothin' but love, guys. Nothin' but love !!!

Of course there is no disrespect, unless, like Doc alluded to, you find it disrespectful when you tease your brother.

Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-15-2006, 11:04   #25
Last Achievements

Originally posted by BigUglyOne@Jan 15 2006, 06:23 PM
Nothin' but love, guys. Nothin' but love !!!

Of course there is no disrespect, unless, like Doc alluded to, you find it disrespectful when you tease your brother.

None taken!!! It's true!!!