News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 17:51   #1
Points: 18,436, Level: 86 Points: 18,436, Level: 86 Points: 18,436, Level: 86
Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2%
Last Achievements

Talking Do you know any unemployed folks ?

I got to thinking that except for disable , retired and children that I don't know any unemployed folks except for an always complaining married sister-in-law ( husband must be a Romney man ) !

The unemployment rate in my home state is lower than the national average with the county that I live in , it's near 4 % .

My employer is always hiring and has been for the last 15 + years !

How are things in your neck of the woods ?
Old 09-07-2012, 18:55   #2
Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65
Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5%
Last Achievements

Do you know any unemployed folks ?
Yep. My daughter, my daughter-in-law and my ex-daughter-in-law. They must be victims of the Republican war on women. Oh, wait, there isn't a Republican in the White House yet. It must be Bush's fault.
higgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:57   #3
Points: 11,417, Level: 70 Points: 11,417, Level: 70 Points: 11,417, Level: 70
Activity: 28.2% Activity: 28.2% Activity: 28.2%
Last Achievements

It sucks here, highest unemployment rate in the country. I'm an Operating Engineer and have been struggling to find steady work for the last couple years. Before the bust we were working on building the biggest industrial park in the world, the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center | The Largest Industrial Center in the World.

We were building the roads wth all the infrastructure that goes along and also quite a few very large warehouses up to and including a couple at a million sq ft. Most all the big ones are still sitting empty. A new interchange off I80 that we built, USA Parkway was and is eventually supposed to tie into US 50 in Silver Springs but was stopped short by 8 to 10 miles and left hanging when the economy tanked a couple years back.
Old 09-07-2012, 21:10   #4
Points: 9,345, Level: 64 Points: 9,345, Level: 64 Points: 9,345, Level: 64
Activity: 40.0% Activity: 40.0% Activity: 40.0%
Last Achievements

No wonder you are so out of touch with the the rest of the country about the economy.

I am glad you are doing really great and paying your fair share.
rhevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:17   #5
Points: 2,814, Level: 32 Points: 2,814, Level: 32 Points: 2,814, Level: 32
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Yes, I know several people who are unemployed, and others who have been unemployed but are now working much lower paying jobs and struggling to make ends meet while prices for everything continue to rise. This ecnomy sucks and there is no way around it.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:58   #6
Full on evil Capitalist!
Points: 14,363, Level: 77 Points: 14,363, Level: 77 Points: 14,363, Level: 77
Activity: 49.1% Activity: 49.1% Activity: 49.1%
Last Achievements

I went from making over two times what I do now, to barely scraping it month to month.

And I'm not alone. I see my neighbors selling their nice cars, buying old beaters, and houses left empty with dead overgrown lawns and trees.

Personally, I've sold my nice, newer car, bought an older one that's paid for, can't afford to help put my oldest kid into college, so she's having to borrow money on her own, and many other things I never planned on doing, or thought would happen.

Heck, I was 14 years with Progressive, and pretty secure in my job I thought. BHO's attitude, and polices as leader has killed our economy, and it's been the most devastating to the guys over 40 who were laid off, and now at the very most, are being offered jobs that pay less than 1/2 of what they made prior to Obama.

Want to know where that more than 4000.00 cut in pay has come from? Just take out the millions of 40 something's who went from making 75k a year, now trying to make it on less than half that.

Add in the tens of thousands who have settled for "service" industry jobs, cleaning hotels, tending a bar, or working part time at two jobs, and you really see how much the American people are suffering under the failed policies of BHO.

I run my own business now, and when I work, when there IS WORK, I'm doing well, but there is NOT enough work. That's just reality. The economy sucks, and I absolutely blame Obama's failure to listen, and adapt as the problem.

He thinks he is right, and he's not willing to change one iota. Even as our nation goes down the crapper, he's fixed on his ideas being right, and damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead into national bankrupcty.

What a dissapointment he's turned out to be. So much for hope and change.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35   #7
Points: 7,781, Level: 59 Points: 7,781, Level: 59 Points: 7,781, Level: 59
Activity: 50.9% Activity: 50.9% Activity: 50.9%
Last Achievements

Adjuster you are exactly right. I am fortunate to be employed ( commercial insurance and risk management) at the moment. What I see here in Virginia and Maryland is underemployment particularly of the 50 somethings like me. Companies are laying off managers and downsizing everywhere. Most are in the older worker category because they are making the most money. So the employers hire less experienced people that they pay less and that cost less in their health insurance.

Insurance market is tightening up because there is no investment income to be made anymore that will allow a carrier to run a slight deficit on underwriting. That means that it becomes more difficult to get coverage for certain types of markets ( construction trucking etc. ) Bottom line everyone pays more and gets less ...

Some intellects like FreeCrap think that raising taxes on the rich will help.. Not gonna happen as those getting soaked will either close up, move off shore or shelter their investments. The way to increase revenue is to lower taxes and and get everyone back in the game with a job. Then the tax base expands as people spend there money an actually do spread wealth around. Of course even this tried and true method will not work if nearly 50 percent pays no taxes and the government keeps spending money at the astronomical rate that this administratrion has done.

New energy sources of all types are a great start, pipelines, refineries,domestic drilling solar, natural gas is a great way to jump start things.. They will create jobs in the sectors they employ as well as those that spring up to support those industries. We will quit transfering our wealth to tinhorns like Iran, Venezuela and China etc... who will use that wealth to build militaries that are sworn to destroy us. We wouldnt have to fund and fight wars to protect areas that are vital interest because they would no longer be. In the interim new techonologies will be created as we get things moving.

Barry is using that overworked outdated communist "forward " slogan to describe a what is nothing more than a retreat into the past.

Racist! - the standard cry of the leftist when losing an argument...

Last edited by shootnpoot; 09-08-2012 at 08:29.
shootnpoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44   #8
Points: 28,788, Level: 99 Points: 28,788, Level: 99 Points: 28,788, Level: 99
Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7%
Last Achievements

Yup, I know LOTS of unemployed folks. My daughter was laid off last year, and all 4 of my buddies daughters (in their 20's) are unemployed. Must be the 'pubs war on women fer sure... but wait... his brother is unemployed, and 5 out of the 6 live in CA in the LA basin. Hmmm... pretty liberal around there I understand! Oh... and as for my daughter, well, let's just say she lives in one of the most liberal cities in Michigan. So much for the 'pubs war on women! They were all working good jobs during the former administration, but I realize that was Bush's fault.
Parnelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 13:55   #9
Points: 42,472, Level: 100 Points: 42,472, Level: 100 Points: 42,472, Level: 100
Activity: 20.9% Activity: 20.9% Activity: 20.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by shootnpoot View Post
Barry is using that overworked outdated communist "forward " slogan to describe a what is nothing more than a retreat into the past.
Last year the slogan was Winning The Future. I think he changed that because Palin pointed out WTF was correct...but it stood for something else.

Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
He thinks he is right, and he's not willing to change one iota. Even as our nation goes down the crapper, he's fixed on his ideas being right, and damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead into national bankrupcty.

What a dissapointment he's turned out to be. So much for hope and change.
In 4+ years I've never heard him admit to being wrong about anything. Nobody on this planet can convince him that his policies will lead to bankruptcy. Nothing is ever his fault so destroying the country is not a concern.

There's a recent New York Times article describing BHO's cockiness and narcissism. This is something people who spend any time around him have come to realize.
The Competitor in Chief: Obama Plays to Win, in Politics and Everything Else
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/us...3P4Rdy/Cgzx/ew

His biggest fear in life is that he loses in November, the economy recovers in a year or two, and the people give Romney the credit for all the hard work Obama thinks he has done. Obamacare will be replaced and the urban dictionary will redefine Failure as Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by Brian S; 09-08-2012 at 14:10.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 22:45   #10
Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65
Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5%
Last Achievements

I seem to recall one of the liberals' harping points on Bush was that he never admitted making a mistake. Haven't heard a peep out of them about the current Excuse-maker-in-Chief doing, or not doing, the exact same thing.

Oh, wait, Barry did admit to one mistake.... Not communicating with the American people enough!!! Gimme a break! Yeah, like we need to hear more empty rhetoric from him.
higgite is offline   Reply With Quote