News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 14:08   #1
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 14.1% Activity: 14.1% Activity: 14.1%

Who make these silly CA gun laws?

I know many of you lucky people don't live in California. I live and work here in Northern CA. We are all very conservative farming and small business folks around here. Let me share some wack job laws.
I bought a new Colt AR last week. I have a concealed weapons permit but I have to wait 10 days for a cooling off period. Hello, there are four firearms on that permit.
Oh, and the AR comes with a 9 round magazine with a bullet button so the mag can't be released quickly.
Another example:
You can purchase one new rifle or hand gun in a thirty day period and wait ten days to pick it up.
You can purchase a dozen or more used guns wait the ten days and pick them all up. We all know new guns are more dangerous than used guns.
A police officer walks into a gun shop and buys a new personal firearm. He has to wait 10 days to cool off, he would never use the pistol strapped to his hip to do any thing silly.
Another::
Me and my buddy want to purchase or trade each others guns.
We walk into the person with the federal fire arms license and fill out all the paperwork. We pay the fee and walk out without the guns we came in with because they have to do a background check and don't forget we need to cool off.
I always considered myself to be of average intelligence but sometimes I feel like Einstein compared to these people.

Last edited by Rangem4; 06-21-2012 at 14:38. Reason: spelling, add an item.
Rangem4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 19:37   #2
Points: 11,550, Level: 70 Points: 11,550, Level: 70 Points: 11,550, Level: 70
Activity: 45.5% Activity: 45.5% Activity: 45.5%
Last Achievements

IMO it is the people of the states fault for the mess your in. The grass really is greener on the other side of the boarder (OK its pretty brown in most of Nevada) but as far as gun laws go, we have it pretty good. We do get some California ejects here that try and bring their anti gun liberal BS with them but they get put in their place, especially by the Nevada born citizens.
Old 07-23-2012, 18:50   #3
Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8
Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3%
Last Achievements

NC's not bad, go in buy a rifle or shotgun they run a check right then and you walk out with the new weapon. Pistol, you go to court house get a 5 dollar permit, go back to the gun shop and buy it and walk out with your new guns. Concealed, apply wait 7 days go back to gunshop if approved and get your firearm. We have open carry too. so its not bad here pretty Nice.
Dustinc10181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 22:24   #4
I have no use for sarcasm
Points: 16,927, Level: 83 Points: 16,927, Level: 83 Points: 16,927, Level: 83
Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8%
Last Achievements

Who is exempt from the waiting period?
The most common exemptions to the 10-day wait include:

California law enforcement officers are exempt from the waiting period if they have a letter signed by the head of the agency or commanding officer, stating they are full time paid peace officers authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of their duties and authorizing the purchase. The dealer must retain the original letter and attach it to the DROS record.

and as for the multiple purchases in one month i could swear you are only correct about handgun purchases
Old 07-25-2012, 00:11   #5
Points: 2,771, Level: 32 Points: 2,771, Level: 32 Points: 2,771, Level: 32
Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5%
Last Achievements

The people you voted into office make the laws.
survivalguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:21   #6
Points: 47,018, Level: 100 Points: 47,018, Level: 100 Points: 47,018, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2% Activity: 99.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Rangem4 View Post
I know many of you lucky people don't live in California. I live and work here in Northern CA. We are all very conservative farming and small business folks around here. Let me share some wack job laws.
I bought a new Colt AR last week. I have a concealed weapons permit but I have to wait 10 days for a cooling off period. Hello, there are four firearms on that permit.
Oh, and the AR comes with a 9 round magazine with a bullet button so the mag can't be released quickly.
Another example:
You can purchase one new rifle or hand gun in a thirty day period and wait ten days to pick it up.
You can purchase a dozen or more used guns wait the ten days and pick them all up. We all know new guns are more dangerous than used guns.
A police officer walks into a gun shop and buys a new personal firearm. He has to wait 10 days to cool off, he would never use the pistol strapped to his hip to do any thing silly.
Another::
Me and my buddy want to purchase or trade each others guns.
We walk into the person with the federal fire arms license and fill out all the paperwork. We pay the fee and walk out without the guns we came in with because they have to do a background check and don't forget we need to cool off.
I always considered myself to be of average intelligence but sometimes I feel like Einstein compared to these people.
Who makes 'em? A bunch of people who don't want you to have any gun at all. Every one of those laws is designed to make being in the 'gun culture' such a royal pain that you'll give it up in frustration. Take it from a former Illinoisan who has lived in Japan - when the pols say "I believe in your right to have a gun for hunting, but..." translate this as "I want 'em all eventually, but I will try to divide and conquer". When you hear about "we need tighter standards for gun buying" translate this as "we want an excuse to seize guns from people one at a time, as we get an excuse" - like 'you're getting too old to handle it safely' if you're a senior citizen, or 'you shouldn't have so much ammo' if you live in a condo, or 'what if your kid gets ahold of it', if you're just starting out. Once they get the gun-owning population down to manageable limits, they show their true stripes, as in the UK. If you don't believe me, read up on how they lost their rights. Or how the poor sods in Japan have to get a permit for a pellet rifle (after a training course that has to be annually repeated...).

The FOID law and waiting periods were in place in Illinois to discourage people from becoming gun-owners, period. Effectively the FOID works like a multi-MONTH waiting period. Pretty hard for a non-gunny to join up with the "gun culture" if they have to wait for 2-3 months before it's legal for them to so much as TOUCH a gun. After high profile crimes, the first impulse of many is to buy some protection for the home, and that is exactly what the waiting periods are there to stop.

Sorry for the vent, hope I won't get flamed, but DON'T GIVE AN INCH ON ANY GUN LAW. Compromise is the biggest enemy of all in this fight, and we need to start rolling back the waiting periods, background checks, possession limits, 'bad gun' vs 'okay for now gun' laws, etc. Otherwise we're playing pure defense and the other side just has to get lucky ONCE on each nibble to take away our rights one bite at a time. There. Vent over. Now let's vote those turkeys out of office.

All the best,
Grumpy
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote