News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 23:14   #1
Points: 41,943, Level: 100 Points: 41,943, Level: 100 Points: 41,943, Level: 100
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Bill Cosby: Trayvon Martin

I grew up listening to Bill Cosby....he's one of my favorite comedians.
How can someone be so right about one thing and so wrong about another?

Read more: Bill Cosby: Trayvon Martin case is about guns, not race* - NY Daily News
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06   #2
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Sounds like typical NYC style thinking to me.
"When you have a gun, you may not realize it, but you put it on your person and you mean to pull (the trigger) and kill somebody."
Odd thing about that is: every day I walk out of the house with my handgun I think to myself; I hope I don't ever have to use this thing (just as I did for years when I was paid to carry a weapon).
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22   #3
Points: 11,252, Level: 70 Points: 11,252, Level: 70 Points: 11,252, Level: 70
Activity: 34.5% Activity: 34.5% Activity: 34.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
I grew up listening to Bill Cosby....he's one of my favorite comedians.
How can someone be so right about one thing and so wrong about another?

Read more: Bill Cosby: Trayvon Martin case is about guns, not race* - NY Daily News
Well he did loose a son in a shooting, so I can understand, but he is wrong. This case is not about guns, nor is it about race, its about self defense if it went down like GZ says it did.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33   #4
Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65
Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5%
Last Achievements

If, and a big if, but still, if there had been a brick laying there and in the exact same circumstances Zimmerman picked it up and hammered Trayvon upside the head with it and killed him, we would never have even heard about it. The case is about self defense, the story is about guns.
higgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51   #5
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Well put Higgite.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28   #6
#1 true dumb M-F'ing SOB
Points: 9,051, Level: 64 Points: 9,051, Level: 64 Points: 9,051, Level: 64
Activity: 14.5% Activity: 14.5% Activity: 14.5%
Last Achievements

But I also believe that when you tell me that you are going to protect the neighborhood that I live in, I don't want you to have a gun," he said. "I want you to be able to see something, report it and get out of the way.
Mr. Cosby has it all wrong. Zimmerman wasn't carrying for the purpose of "protecting the neighborhood," he was carrying to protect HIMSELF. Against someone who might decide to take issue with his protecting the neighborhood.

And guess what? It happened. Zimmerman had to make a choice that no one wants to. "One of us isn't going home tonight. And it's not going to be me."

As an aside, I especially take issue with this:
Since first speaking out about the case earlier this month, Cosby has repeatedly said that the Feb. 26 slaying of the unarmed teen shows there is a need to get guns off the streets.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05   #7
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94
Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
If, and a big if, but still, if there had been a brick laying there and in the exact same circumstances Zimmerman picked it up and hammered Trayvon upside the head with it and killed him, we would never have even heard about it. The case is about self defense, the story is about guns.
And IF-trevon had picked up the brick and smashed in zimmermans head(if zimmerman did not have a gun)-then it would have gone down as another unsolved murder,and trevon would have never been known about-unless he ran his mouth!Of course we all know that he would have bragged about it sometime later-just to show how bada$$ he was!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10   #8
Points: 41,943, Level: 100 Points: 41,943, Level: 100 Points: 41,943, Level: 100
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

The death of Bill Cosby's son was a tragedy. That was exactly like the senseless violence I was talking about with Brian Stow. I cut him some slack but he's an intelligent, educated man and to fear inanimate objects is illogical. I left that type of fear with my childhood.

I also cut him some slack about supporting Obama, but when I hear him say something like, "it's not like he started out with a surplus," I know he's uninformed about the facts of the previous administration.

Blaming firearms for violence is something I expect from ignorant people like Jackson and Sharpton.

Cosby acknowledges neither Trayvon or his son were killed because of racial motivations but he is not talking about the real issues in the black community...the very same things he has been criticized for saying in the past. That is the lack of responsible parenting.

I'm no Dr Phil fan but I did agree the time he said the same sex parent of the child is the most important role model for demonstrating and learning moral values. Anyone who watched Cosby's popular '80s sitcom knows that Cliff and Claire Huxtable would never have let their son be raised in the same manor as Trayvon Martin.

From Wiki,

"In a 2008 interview, Cosby mentioned Chicago; Atlanta; Philadelphia; Oakland; Detroit; and Springfield, Massachusetts among the cities where crime was high and young African-American men were being murdered and jailed in disproportionate numbers. Cosby stood his ground against criticism and affirmed that African-American parents were continuing to fail to inculcate proper standards of moral behavior. Cosby still lectures to black communities (usually at churches) about his frustrations with certain problems prevalent in underprivileged urban communities such as taking part in illegal drugs, teenage pregnancy, Black Entertainment Television, high school dropouts, anti-intellectualism, gangsta rap, vulgarity, thievery, offensive clothing, vanity, parental alienation, single-parenting and failing to live up to the ideals of Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King, Jr. and the African-American ancestors that preceded Generation X."

Trayvon's parents, divorced since the age of three, may be putting on a good show for the cameras, but based on other things I've read, IMHO Tracy Martin is a middled aged adolescent who will continue to repeat the same mistake over and over and blame everyone else for his faults.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 17:03   #9
Full on evil Capitalist!
Points: 14,166, Level: 77 Points: 14,166, Level: 77 Points: 14,166, Level: 77
Activity: 43.6% Activity: 43.6% Activity: 43.6%
Last Achievements

Sad when race does matter eh?

And I have to say Bill is, and will remain, one of my favorite comedians, and I fully support his efforts to bring responsibility back to those so lost in the system, and the loss of the family that the system kills.

Fact is, based on evidence/statements/reading comprehension: It's easy to see that Trayvon was not a defenseless 17 year old boy, but an agressive 6'3" tall young man, who DECIDED to pick a fight with the unknown.

And he died, when the guy he tried to beat down defended himself.

IT IS WHAT THE LAW ALLOWS.

Don't like it? Change the law.

Otherwise, just STFU about it being a bad thing that Zimmerman had, and used that right to defend himself.

What the hell is this country becoming? It's a BAD thing to defend your liberty, life and rights?

Yet, so many who can't see past the amount of pigment in our skin, want to say that Trayvon's rights were violated, as they gleefully call for, and try to violate the rights of Zimmerman, and the rest of the nation in the process.

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, and far too many in our world today are beyond help I think.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote