News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36   #1
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Here we go, Stand Your Ground Law under fire.....

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has called for a national reform of the stand your ground law and has blasted the NRA for it's creation.

In reality the NRA's leaders weren't interested in public safety. They were interested in promoting a culture where people take the law into their own hands and face no consequences for it. Let's call that by its real name, vigilantism," he said. "The NRA should be ashamed of themselves. This has nothing to do with gun owners rights. It has nothing to do with the second amendment.
Bloomberg Blasts NRA Over 'Stand Your Ground' Laws - Yahoo! News

The second amendment actually is about vigilantism and taking matters into the public's hands when the authorities are either too incompetent or corrupt. This is a result of big city politicians, most of whom have armed bodyguards, telling us all what is good for us. Why is it frowned upon when a private citizen acts within the law to protect himself? What if Zimmerman had lied on the ground until the police had showed up? Would he still have all of his teeth, or would he be drinking out of a straw? Besides if Zimmerman was a "vigilante" he never would have called the police to begin with, he would have dealt with the threat himself.

The citizens of this country have stood by and witnessed police incompetence and impotence for too long. The criminal justice system is a joke in most parts of the country, and have failed miserably in protecting good honest citizens from dangerous threats. Not only do they arrive on the scene too late, but they also don't rehabilitate repeat offenders and often they release them too soon because the prisons are full. Now the answer to too many shootings and killings is restricting people's right to use their arms? This is only going to send a message to would be thugs, thieves, and criminals that they will receive more protection under the same laws they are breaking.

Why is this case the fulcrum for anti gun legislation? All of this because one man died in a fairly straight forward shooting that hasn't been decided in court? If they do succeed in changing the law it will be almost impossible to defend yourself and your family from danger without facing some form of litigation. Instead of receiving the benefit of the doubt you will be deemed guilty until proven innocent. It makes me laugh that law makers would try to pass legislation on a subject that they don't understand. Authorities have the luxury of having months to pass judgement on a shooter that only had seconds to react.

Sure we all now know that Martin didn't have a weapon, but did Zimmerman know that? When someone enters your home and you point your handgun at them and tell them to stop and they don't, what do you do? Shoot first ask questions later? Or do you wait to see if the perp has a weapon? This is going to end up bad for all of us.

"What the hell is going on out there!?" -Vince Lombardi
BangBangPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22   #2
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94
Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Bumgerg can say anything-that is his 1st ammendment right!We can reply with anything-that is our 1st ammendment right.Bumberg is in on this BS incident for notoriety,favors to "whomever",and he and soros are probably taking long hot showers together.Besides-the de-distiguished mayor has bragged about having the 5th largest "army or military"in the world at his disposal(NYPD)-so he feels impervious to all would be outsiders that would stand their ground with his own paramilitary goon squads.He is just another big money control freak,albeit on the democratic/liberal side of the coin.There is a whole boatload of these libtard nutjobs that need to be taken down at their next election cycle.Personally I don't see how he survived the Virginia "straw buy" gun sceme that he concocted and implemented,and admitted to.Just shows that big money can buy influence,and favors with the rest of the criminal elitests on capitol hill!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34   #3
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

It's real easy for a POS politician like Bloomberg to make these statements while he is sitting in charge of a city where it is nearly impossible for a citizen to own a handgun, much less use it to defend their self.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50   #4
Points: 18,028, Level: 85 Points: 18,028, Level: 85 Points: 18,028, Level: 85
Activity: 6.4% Activity: 6.4% Activity: 6.4%
Last Achievements

Y'all will like this!

Gun advocates countering NYC mayor in Milwaukee - JSOnline
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45   #5
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Last Achievements

The truth is that anti gun advocates have been waiting for something like this to happen, a way to get the public on their side. These types of politicians will seek to take advantage of the temporary public outcry and call for justice to push their agenda.

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio wants the legislature and the public to not rush to judgment on the “stand your ground” law and instead wait for more information on the Trayvon Martin case to come out.
These types of knee jerk reactions for change are often driven by anger, rage, and a delusional quest for justice. I don't know if the quest to repeal the law will be worse if Zimmerman is found guilty, or not guilty. I have a feeling that the law will be changed, but to what extent I can't say. Changes to the law (if any) should be done when public outcry dies down, that way people can look at it objectively. Besides a change or removal of the law won't stop things like this from happening in the future, it will only put more innocent people who defend themselves on trial and possibly in jail. Why is that the answer to everything in our society?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:53   #6
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I don't really see how Bloomberg or anyone else believes that the federal gubbment can override the state of Florida's laws. The US constitution does not give the Feds any specific rights over the use of deadly force therefore it is a states right to make these decisions. If the Fed did pass a law, it would be struck down by the Supreme Court the first time it was enforced and someone challenged it. At least it should be. Roe V Wade has lasted all these years even though it is unconstitutional so who knows.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34   #7
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94 Points: 23,753, Level: 94
Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I don't really see how Bloomberg or anyone else believes that the federal gubbment can override the state of Florida's laws. The US constitution does not give the Feds any specific rights over the use of deadly force therefore it is a states right to make these decisions. If the Fed did pass a law, it would be struck down by the Supreme Court the first time it was enforced and someone challenged it. At least it should be. Roe V Wade has lasted all these years even though it is unconstitutional so who knows.
Woodstock-I agree with your thinking but;the guys on crapitol hill think that another executive order would just negate all of the other laws that we live by,or a command for martial(marginal)law would calm the poor dumb masses(jokes on the politicos)and that we would all go quietly to the "ovens"at the fema camps!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54   #8
Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65 Points: 9,366, Level: 65
Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5% Activity: 70.5%
Last Achievements

Hopefully Zimmerman shooting sweet little Trayvon will have about as much effect on gun laws as the Joe Horn case did in Texas.... that is, nothing, nada, zip, zilch, nothing changed!
higgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 14:45   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by higgite View Post
Hopefully Zimmerman shooting sweet little Trayvon will have about as much effect on gun laws as the Joe Horn case did in Texas.... that is, nothing, nada, zip, zilch, nothing changed!
I truly hope so, but they have already shown signs of caving to public pressure on this issue. I don't think it will effect the right to bear arms as much as it will effect the wording of the stand your ground law, especially in Florida.