News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 18:01   #1
Registered Member
Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Journalist in Chicago-area starting documentary about firearms and firearm laws

Hell all,

My name is Michael. I am a journalist from Northwestern University and I am starting work on a documentary film project about firearms and the Second Amendment. I am looking for people from Illinois who feel strongly about guns, firearm laws and the Second Amendment. I want to specifically look at gun culture in Illinois because, to my understanding, the state has particularly strict gun laws.

I am not associated with any publications or media companies and I do not have a political agenda. I am simply a journalism student who wants to learn more about guns and firearm legislation.

I am looking for members who are interested in speaking on this topic. Anyone interested can reply to this thread, or send me a private message.

Also if anyone has any relevant websites or resources I should consult while researching, feel free to post them.

Thanks
Mwalt1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 18:36   #2
Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16
Last Achievements

Michael -

Ask away here on an open forum. I believe you will find most people who like guns feel similarly about freedom, the right to protect themselves, responsibility, a republic as opposed to a democracy, the rule of law, the right to be free from search of their persons and possessions, and the alleged limited scope of the federal government, at least as presented in the constitution, which seems these days to be followed only in abeyance.
Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44   #3
Points: 1,700, Level: 23 Points: 1,700, Level: 23 Points: 1,700, Level: 23
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

Mwalt1027,

If fear that you are at the very least disingenuous... "and I do not have a political agenda." Really? I for one find that hard to believe. Most/all journalists and the institutions from which they have sprouted all seem to have political agendas. Usually these are 'liberal' folks but sometimes 'conservatives' as well. You only have to listen/read for a short period of time to pick up the slant.

You would have been better off to say that you would be trying to present the issue from both sides as logically and as fairly as possible despite your own views, what ever they maybe. We might have had some respect for that.

Regardless, I am sure that an open minded professional review of the subject will show that all Tyrants and Purveyors of Genocide in history have accomplished their ends through the same means, the Big Lie and the disarming of individuals; these are usually helped by those who disseminate of news of the day (or they are shut down). I am sure that the fact that all of the founding fathers were adamant about the right of the individual to keep and bear arms, and that the states where this is most true have less violent crime, (and crime in general) will be presented prominently.

We are happy to speak, it is just we are unsure how well the 'sand bagging' 'non-agenda' media types are able to hear and see the truth. For they have continued to fail to access and to ignore when presented, history, facts, statistics, and the Supreme Court of the land's rulings, (for which they don't have to speak to anyone to acquire) and to slant the news of the day through selective speech, and the inclusion or omission of stories.

Worst of all they tend to believe their own drivel, and to contemptuously think that we as nation should too; and to be quite honest, that 'we the sheeple' don't deserve any better from you anyways.

You maybe right, we continue to put up with it... but then, so do folks like you.

If you feel I have been unfair by my assumption of your association with those who have abrogated their responsibility to a free, just, and prosperous nation for all citizens; I would ask how does it feel? For we because we believe in the view that liberty is the natural condition of a person and in the inherent right to defend ourselves, family, communities, country and property; which is also the actual interpreted law of the land and indeed the view of those that shed their to create it, have been associated, with Crazies, Racists, Murders, Fascists, Nazis, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53   #4
Last Achievements

Sorry about the lack of editing, I hit Post 'Post Quick Reply' instead of 'Go Advanced' to preview.
Old 04-26-2011, 13:34   #5
Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16
Last Achievements

In truth, Mao19, Michael may not be on the left. It's just that it is almost impossible to tell, especially from his brief post, with nothing associated to go on. There is no statement of just what his "video" will consist of, or what he wants it to consist of, what questions he wishes to address, what kind of editing he intends to do, that clearly might take statements out of context, what if any control the respondents will have over the direct content attributed to them, etc. That a pretty big, open picture that we are asked to simply "accept". One wonders just why we should be so paranoid.
Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07   #6
Last Achievements

Ah Devereaux, you almost got me, LMAO