Greenpeace leader admits misleading public about melting arctic ice - Shooting Sports Forum

News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 15:58   #1

Greenpeace leader admits misleading public about melting arctic ice

Excerpts:

The outgoing leader of Greenpeace has admitted his organization’s recent claim that the Arctic Ice will disappear by 2030 was “a mistake.” Greenpeace made the claim in a July 15 press release entitled “Urgent Action Needed As Arctic Ice Melts,” which said there will be an ice-free Arctic by 2030 because of global warming.

Although he admitted Greenpeace had released inaccurate but alarming information, Leipold defended the organization’s practice of “emotionalizing issues” in order to bring the public around to its way of thinking and alter public opinion.

Video is available at the link.
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/am...-exaggeration/

The story The Boy who Cried Wolf comes to mind. People who lie to advance their agendas deserve to be marginalized. Leipold is yet another agenda-driven activist who is trying to scare people.
Old 08-19-2009, 17:55   #2

Typical high minded liberal "think" be emotional...disregard the facts...MAKE up your own

Last edited by mustangdave; 08-19-2009 at 17:56. Reason: spell check
mustangdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:52   #3

Originally Posted by Mystery Meat View Post
Excerpts:

The outgoing leader of Greenpeace has admitted his organization’s recent claim that the Arctic Ice will disappear by 2030 was “a mistake.” Greenpeace made the claim in a July 15 press release entitled “Urgent Action Needed As Arctic Ice Melts,” which said there will be an ice-free Arctic by 2030 because of global warming.

Although he admitted Greenpeace had released inaccurate but alarming information, Leipold defended the organization’s practice of “emotionalizing issues” in order to bring the public around to its way of thinking and alter public opinion.

Video is available at the link.
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/am...-exaggeration/

The story The Boy who Cried Wolf comes to mind. People who lie to advance their agendas deserve to be marginalized. Leipold is yet another agenda-driven activist who is trying to scare people.

Hmmm....it's been a few days, and the liberal one has not replied to this. Curious.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:03   #4

Originally Posted by mustangdave View Post
Typical high minded liberal "think" be emotional...disregard the facts...MAKE up your own
The old saying, "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind" readily comes to mind.

Bet you didn't see this in any of the government controlled MSM?

NRA
Vietnam '68-'69 / '71-'72
Disabled American Veterans
Vietnam Veterans of America
Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09   #5
anti-capitalist

Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
Hmmm....it's been a few days, and the liberal one has not replied to this. Curious.
What's the point? It doesn't prove or disprove anything.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34   #6

Sorry...no respect for Green Peace at all. Morons ALL
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25   #7
Moderator Moderator and Super MemberSuper Member

Originally Posted by Mystery Meat View Post
Leipold defended the organization’s practice of “emotionalizing issues” in order to bring the public around to its way of thinking and alter public opinion.
Another example of the Big Lie in action. Goebbels would be pleased.
Not so much disregarding as making some up to fill the vacuum.
While not all the data get twisted, so much of the information out there seems to be knee-jerk OMG! We're reaching a tipping point! Then a few months later, someone quietly comes out with more information to the effect, well, things are indeed changing, but apparently not for the reasons we thought and we have evidence suggesting it has happened before...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. A good anvil never fears The Hammer. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! Semper Gumby كاف

Last edited by markw76; 08-21-2009 at 12:31.
markw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:44   #8

Had a CO in the Navy back in the late 80's..real gung ho type, we were entering San Francisco Bay...headed for the China Basin Shipyard Facility for a 1 year overhaul. Just as we cleared the Golden Gate Bridge 3 of these tree hugger/dirt people started doing a zig-zag pattern in front of the ship in their GP Zodiac boat...skipper told the helmsman "speed up a bit"...they wanted to play chicken...and just about got keel hauled.
Old 08-21-2009, 13:04   #9

Had a CO in the Navy back in the late 80's..real gung ho type, we were entering San Francisco Bay...headed for the China Basin Shipyard Facility for a 1 year overhaul. Just as we cleared the Golden Gate Bridge 3 of these tree hugger/dirt people started doing a zig-zag pattern in front of the ship in their GP Zodiac boat...skipper told the helmsman "speed up a bit"...they wanted to play chicken...and just about got keel hauled.
Better GP than Code Pink...
Attached Thumbnails
Greenpeace leader admits misleading public about melting arctic ice-code_pink_murder.jpg   Greenpeace leader admits misleading public about melting arctic ice-code-pink-sweetie.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2009, 13:20   #10

Should we still test Nukes?
Old 08-21-2009, 13:26   #11

Only if they really, really, think it's necessary. Underground. I think it's less and less so, compared to 30 years ago.

Old 08-21-2009, 13:34   #12

Well That was what GP was all about. They wanted governments, mainly the U.S. to stop open/surface testing. Do I support them by donations, NO. But I am glad there is a group shouting so we can have a different perspective of views. Plus they have created another $$$ making industry (Whale watching). Who cares about nature though.
Old 08-21-2009, 13:40   #13

I do wish they'd go pick on the Japanese more. They don't seem to do much to inhibit the habitual and frequent killing of whales for "research"...

Old 08-21-2009, 16:48   #14

Have you been watching Whale Wars at all? Entertaining but that's about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 21:12   #15

Originally Posted by DrewArtist View Post
Have you been watching Whale Wars at all? Entertaining but that's about it.
It's like watching Keystone Cops, or a Hollywood version of war. They're supposed to be more aggressive than GP, but if it were me, I'd find a Billionaire Benefactor, buy a mothballed something-or-other and get serious with treaty breakers.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:43   #16

I watched ˝ of an episode last night, the finally, they rammed one of the harpoon ships and ripped open the hall. They also were arrested for the collision at sea. But I always became aggravated that how sloppy their actions and procedures were. They would dog individuals for their experience in the Navy but that’s just what they needed. The damn Steve Irwin crew needs to go to Boot camp. But as much as I am against Whaling in the way that Japan is going about it, I am 100% for cultures that whale for food. I kind of would like see a documentary from the Japanese side. Or maybe more about groups that do hunt Whales.

The Whale Hunt Story:
http://thewhalehunt.org/

http://www.seashepherd.org/

Institute of Cetacean Research
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institu...acean_Research

I think I hijacked this thread.
Old 08-22-2009, 16:56   #17

I watched ˝ of an episode last night, the finally, they rammed one of the harpoon ships and ripped open the hall. They also were arrested for the collision at sea. But I always became aggravated that how sloppy their actions and procedures were. They would dog individuals for their experience in the Navy but that’s just what they needed. The damn Steve Irwin crew needs to go to Boot camp. But as much as I am against Whaling in the way that Japan is going about it, I am 100% for cultures that whale for food. I kind of would like see a documentary from the Japanese side. Or maybe more about groups that do hunt Whales.
Who arrested them, Coast Guard? AFAIC, Japan is putting too much pressure on whales. Supply is tight because of years of over-whaling and they need to suck it up, raise the price on whale meat and eat more sea slugs. The Inuits and other native peoples should be able to harvest whatever they can use.

Old 08-22-2009, 18:40   #18

Originally Posted by markw76 View Post
Who arrested them, Coast Guard? AFAIC, Japan is putting too much pressure on whales. Supply is tight because of years of over-whaling and they need to suck it up, raise the price on whale meat and eat more sea slugs. The Inuits and other native peoples should be able to harvest whatever they can use.
The Australian feds. Well the whales that Japan are hunting are not that endangered, they are just taken advantage of loop hole in the international laws and hunting for profit and not for necessity.
Old 08-22-2009, 20:19   #19

The Australian feds. Well the whales that Japan are hunting are not that endangered, they are just taken advantage of loop hole in the international laws and hunting for profit and not for necessity.
Well, it isn't for research, as they so largely paint on the sides of the whaling ships they're running. Ramming is highly over-rated, as I'm sure the Irwinites found out.