Somehow I'm not surprised.... - Shooting Sports Forum

News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By grumpy_old_man
  • 2 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By nickndfl
  • 1 Post By HB of CJ
  • 2 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By Parnelli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34   #1

Somehow I'm not surprised....

Blog: Green deathtraps: energy-saving renovation blamed for horrific Grenfell Tower fire in London

Grumpy
Lurp2, Momo and Bepe like this.
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20   #2
RJF

I'm sure many of the Greenies are satisfied: fewer humans to consume oxygen and exhale that "worst of polluters" - CO2...

It's all the Plastics Companies' fault...Should ban all plastic!
grumpy_old_man and Parnelli like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:28   #3

They saved a ton on heating costs... Too early?
RJF likes this.
nickndfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 13:04   #4

Expediency Instead Of Safety? ...

Wondering how far or deep or truthful the fire investigation, (if even properly conducted) will dig? How far will it go? Seems to me there is lots of blame to spread around, including finally the choice of the residents to live in such an obvious after the fact fire trap.

At some point somebody responsible must come forward with practical and doable preventive measures so this sort of fire disaster does not happen again? Sounds like the perfect storm. So many bad things all coming together resulting in the fire. Probably over 100 dead?

I'm retired fire service. Drove a fire engine for a small excellent ISO Class One fire department. Long ago, far away. Even back in that day such a thing would have been unlikely. Today? Wow! A horrible disaster. Bound to happen again. Disaster history repeats.
Momo likes this.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 06-16-2017 at 13:06. Reason: speelling, sintax, puncuations, danglings partacycles, etc..
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 17:07   #5

Sounds like somebody was messing with the electric or gas meters and started a fire. Those people like to rig stuff to avoid paying bills.
nickndfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 18:30   #6
RJF

Details will filter out after a bit.

Tragic loss of life for those who have no other option but to live in such a fire-trap. Hard to imagine a worse way to go than being burned to death - even if suffocated beforehand.

Ground or second floor for me! But I can afford a Single Family Home.

Back when I was working in Crystal City near the Pentagon), I was on the 9th floor. Was never happy about that and always had a 150' heavy duty electrical extension nearby just in case. Was very glad when we moved to a one-story building near Dulles airport.

Can't imagine the terror for those on the top floors - just like the twin towers.

Details will come out, but that "Green" cladding was certainly a contributor...
HB of CJ and grumpy_old_man like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 13:13   #7

A Fire Safety Mentality? ...

We automatically check out a motel or hotel before settling in. Nothing ABOVE the 6th floor. Can a ladder truck spot under you? Know the local fire agency. Check out the exits. First, second, third. Always have a back up plan. I know some friends who carry into their rooms that repelling rig.

One can imagine how tight or difficult it is get housing in some cities. San Francisco years ago comes to mind. I took what was available. You live where there is vacancy. These residents may not have had a choice to live where they lived. But 20 decks up? No way. Just me. A very sad thing.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 06-17-2017 at 18:29. Reason: a really bad w/w
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 17:47   #8

Considering what has been going on lately in Europe and London, my first thought is some kind of sabotage.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 18:30   #9

Terrorism was my first thought too. Fire shouldn't spread so quickly in a building made of concrete.

You want to see a real fire trap? This happened 6 months ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...warehouse_fire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06   #10

The green cladding was applied with no thoughts about what it might do in case of a fire. This was a publicly owned building. Nobody vetted the exterior mods to determine what would happen in a fire. Anybody figure out the cause yet?
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07   #11

They just spent millions upgrading this building, but they did not install even one sprinkler!

Greedy globalists, and I'm sure that they really don't care after I saw the folks from the area on camera.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:22   #12

Oops...

Grenfell Tower cladding is banned in UK, government says | Fox News
grumpy_old_man likes this.