LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:35   #1
Points: 3,081, Level: 34 Points: 3,081, Level: 34 Points: 3,081, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Troy Modular Chassis System

----

Last edited by scottoo; 02-17-2013 at 09:03.
scottoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:22   #2
Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

So long.

nice gun, but just to heavy a stock for the mini 14. i use to have the scar stock but decided it wasn't worth the added weight either.

-Thomas Jefferson
Talshiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40   #3
I have no use for sarcasm
Points: 17,096, Level: 83 Points: 17,096, Level: 83 Points: 17,096, Level: 83
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Talshiar View Post
So long.

nice gun, but just to heavy a stock for the mini 14. i use to have the scar stock but decided it wasn't worth the added weight either.
really that much more weight??
Old 12-27-2011, 18:45   #4
Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31 Points: 2,729, Level: 31
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Yep, the Scar added a pound or a bit more. And from what I have read the Troy stock is even heavier setup yet. When my mini was approaching the weight of some of my serious rifles I decided it had to go on a diet. But to each his own and good looking rifle Scottoo.

-Thomas Jefferson
Talshiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 13:31   #5
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by scottoo View Post
The only true Mini 14 Battle rifle as far as I am concerned.
mm, i dont know.. this is more of a Mini battle rifle to me, even with the plain ol' wood stock:
Mini-14 Full Auto - YouTube
KingANuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43   #6
Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15
Last Achievements

183 Series with Troy Chassis

Scotto-

I really like your set up with the Troy Chassis. Here is one I just finished. I don't mind the weight at all, and it seems pretty well balanced. Have you had any trouble with that small set screw that holds the top rail on backing out?
Attached Thumbnails
Troy Modular Chassis System-img_5769.jpg   Troy Modular Chassis System-img_5772.jpg   Troy Modular Chassis System-img_5775.jpg  
bingelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:58   #7
Last Achievements

Set screw

Thanks for your reply. I will give a try this weekend. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your rifle.
Old 02-04-2012, 13:46   #8
Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

scottoo,

Nice looking Mini!

Troy Industries is making some of the best aftermarket upgrades on the market, for Mini, M1A, and AR-15 platform.
alaj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49   #9
Last Achievements

Green with Envy

I am biased ................................I say leave it green.

Looks great.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42   #10
Last Achievements

OD Green Buttstock

By the way- I used the MAGPUL ACS stock. I really like it so far, and have found it to be very comfortable. Now I want one for my SIG 556.
Old 02-18-2012, 20:15   #11
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

both you fools have inspired me to ride the damn' trojan horse...

I was waiting on the sparta - but it could be another year before they release a top rail that is compatable with the non ranch minis. (I have a 185 GB)

so I pulled the trigger on an MCS chassis in FDE. it should be here by the end of next week.

It'll be FDE
I'll add Olive drab furniture.

I have a fever - and the only cure is... definitely more magpul

CTR stock, MBUS, AFG2 front grip, OD rail covers.

maybe I'll sparta my 581 mini 30?

oh yeah - both you guys need to paint your heat shields...
whats with that silver crap peaking out under the barrels of your slick as snot Evil black Rifles
flat black manifold/exhaust paint should do the trick

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 14:35   #12
Last Achievements

Let's see it

Snuff-

Please post pics when you get it put together. I almost went FDE and OD myself.

You hit the mark with "Fools".

I am suprised that someone has not blasted us with a comment like:
"Can't believe you spent all that money on a Mini when you could have bought an AR."

This a nice forum in my opinion.

If I wanted an AR I would have bought one. I have had my 183 series since new and don't plan on getting rid of it. It is as reliable as my SIG 556 and I bet it would withstand more abuse and keep smashing primers.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2012, 19:02   #13
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bingelogic View Post
Snuff-

Please post pics when you get it put together. I almost went FDE and OD myself.

You hit the mark with "Fools".

I am suprised that someone has not blasted us with a comment like:
"Can't believe you spent all that money on a Mini when you could have bought an AR."

This a nice forum in my opinion.

If I wanted an AR I would have bought one. I have had my 183 series since new and don't plan on getting rid of it. It is as reliable as my SIG 556 and I bet it would withstand more abuse and keep smashing primers.

Good luck.
it's a valid argument for sure - except... I already had the mini.

I like both platforms but since my wife would throttle me if I brought in another gun of the same caliber that I already own... "I say run what ya brung"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56   #14
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

OK. Pics to follow soon. Took the heat shield advice. Getting Dura Coat flat black. Added new Magpul stock as well. I am interested to see the Dura Coat on the Barrel since I had to get the Troy Medevial Muzzle Break pinned and welded. Everything should look sweet. Once again nortonfirearms.com comes thru.

I'm waiting for a bonus check to come through - intend to have all the rifle metal done in Duracoat tactical ultraflat OD.

I'll send it out to Gundoc to do it, he media blasts everything during the prep to ensure a good finish

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-05-2012, 23:26   #15
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Well, the chassis came in week before last...

I had to sit and look at it all forlorn like - cause I didn't have my build kit ordered until last Friday morning...

I got home from work today and found boxes... sweet, lovely, boxes filled with Magpul, Houge, and other assorted firearm goodness

I've Assembled my Trojan horse... and it is good I'm waiting on a few Odds n' ends to complete the basic build.

I'm debating if I should reveal it's sexyness now...
or shall I wait until the receiver, barrel, and possibly the buffer tube get coated in Tactical ultraflat Olive drab duracoat when I send it to Gundoc?

it'll be a little while before I send it in to get painted - I'm about to ship my stainless Mini 30 in to him to get duracoated flat black and a trigger job - and I don't want to be without some sort of center fire semi auto rifle in the house.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-08-2012, 15:01   #16
Banned
Points: 1,043, Level: 17 Points: 1,043, Level: 17 Points: 1,043, Level: 17
Last Achievements

Check out my Troy Mini. Troy will continue to make the Chassis for the M 14 but will discontinue Manufacture of the ones for the Minis, get em while they last.
ewww no thnx
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53   #17
Points: 419, Level: 8 Points: 419, Level: 8 Points: 419, Level: 8
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
ewww no thnx
To each is their own. Personally I have a Troy Ind MCS kit for my Mini-14 and it is great as my tactical rifle.

I also have a Mini-14 in a completely stock set up (no glass, no barrel strut, no enhanced iron sites, no bedding) and it is great too for my small game hunting rifle

I still want to grab a Clyde SCAR kit and an Archangel Sparta kit, but that will have to wait until next years tax return and when I get a chance to go back to Arizona (currently live in CA where no one will ship those stocks too).

I will probably set these rifles up for my kids... Clyde SCAR for my 17 year old and Archangel Sparta kit for my 10 year old.
Overkill1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:07   #18
Banned
Last Achievements

Its not that big of a transformation but an important one. Took the shiny heat shield advice and had it Duracoated black. Just what this rifle needed. Also got rid of the junk ATI commercial stock. Installed a Magpul milspec MOE. Also, ditched the tan picked up some OD green "ladder" rail covers. Let me know what everyone thinks. I feel it quite an improvement.
i like it except the adjustable buttstock because those styles on the m4 would break off on us in training when they had us doing drills to drop hard to the ground do the make a solid fixed buttplate yet ?:
Old 03-12-2012, 16:56   #19
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Its not that big of a transformation but an important one. Took the shiny heat shield advice and had it Duracoated black. Just what this rifle needed. Also got rid of the junk ATI commercial stock. Installed a Magpul milspec MOE. Also, ditched the tan picked up some OD green "ladder" rail covers. Let me know what everyone thinks. I feel it quite an improvement.

yours is looking good...

check out mine - it's looking SICK.
so far:
Troy Mini 14 MCS chassis in Flat dark earth
Magpul CTR in Olive drab
Magpul CTR cheek riser in FDE
Magpul MBUIS in Olive drab
Magpul rail covers trimmed to fit in OD
Magpul front sling loop
Magpul AFG in OD
Houge Overmold grip in OD.
6 (existing) 30 round tapco mags in black.

Painted the scope (A lepers POS... but it actually works, holds zero.) OD - didn't paint the turrets or the power adjust ring) would cost what I paid for the scope to duracoat it... so I did a Krylon ultraflat OD with a matte lacquer top coat
also painted the scope mount ( a ripoff of the larue mount - again, cheap - but holds zero, is repeatable and actually works) with krylon ultra flat tan with a matte lacquer topcoat. the camera is mean... it looks better in person for some reason.

near future plans for completion:
Have the receiver, trigger group, barre, heat shield, buffer tube, and strut refinished in ultraflat Olive drab by Gundoc
have the trigger reworked by gundoc
replace my Tapco black Gen 1s with FDE Gen2s

My stainless mini 30 just got to gun doc for a black duracoat and trigger job, should be done a couple weeks - when I have it back, the Troy mini 14 will go out for duracoat and a trigger job... then it'll be DONE.
Attached Thumbnails
Troy Modular Chassis System-troy-mini.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-12-2012, 17:08   #20
Last Achievements

i like it except the adjustable buttstock because those styles on the m4 would break off on us in training when they had us doing drills to drop hard to the ground do the make a solid fixed buttplate yet ?:
I agree, that is why I installed a MAGPUL UBR stock. The following link is a drop test of M4 style collapsing stocks made by some reputable manufactures and explains how many drops it took to break the stock and how many more drops to have complete failure of the stock.

Buttstock Bashfest: GearScout finds out just how far tough talk goes | Military Times GearScout

It took a 10 foot drop to break the UBR, but only after the stock was dropped 200 times from 3 feet.

Now, this might not seem like a real world drop test, in fact, it might seem a bit harsher, but that is fine with me

If you do not like a collapsing stock, the end user can add a full M16 stock to the MCS like the following poster.

Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
580 Stainless GB in a Troy MCS chassis...

Millet DMS scope w/Primary Arms mount, MBUS BUIS

Last edited by Overkill1369; 03-12-2012 at 17:16. Reason: new information
Old 03-12-2012, 17:27   #21
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Overkill1369 View Post
I agree, that is why I installed a MAGPUL UBR stock. The following link is a drop test of M4 style collapsing stocks made by some reputable manufactures and explains how many drops it took to break the stock and how many more drops to have complete failure of the stock.

Buttstock Bashfest: GearScout finds out just how far tough talk goes | Military Times GearScout

It took a 10 foot drop to break the UBR, but only after the stock was dropped 200 times from 3 feet.

Now, this might not seem like a real world drop test, in fact, it might seem a bit harsher, but that is fine with me

If you do not like a collapsing stock, the end user can add a full M16 stock to the MCS like the following poster.
now thats more like it ! i like that ! i just now got done putting the omega rail on one of the m30's with original stock it looks awesome and it should for $200 to the door, i got a mod rod on it, it really disapates heat put close 400 rounds through it the other day right straight and it kept goin and goin with good accuracy using TUL sh*t ammo i think ill keep the original bottom half i like a stock that you can use for a bat if needed lol but i like what you got there does it fit 581 series m30 tacs ?
Old 03-12-2012, 17:43   #22
Banned
Last Achievements

just put the led light on the side of it and took a walk towards the clearing this fu*ker shines a hundred yards and makes it so i can see my iron sights . wait a minuet makes a lot sense i bought the tactical for the fat short barrel and flash hider then i put a damn light on it... maybe i should rethink this..... lol
Old 03-12-2012, 17:45   #23
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

now thats more like it ! i like that ! i just now got done putting the omega rail on one of the m30's with original stock it looks awesome and it should for $200 to the door, i got a mod rod on it, it really disapates heat put close 400 rounds through it the other day right straight and it kept goin and goin with good accuracy using TUL sh*t ammo i think ill keep the original bottom half i like a stock that you can use for a bat if needed lol but i like what you got there does it fit 581 series m30 tacs ?
unfortunately not Ruger,

Troy states specifically that it won't fit on a Mini 30 - I have no idea why.
supposedly Troy's customer service and tech support is pretty good, you could email or call them and ask why it won't work - if it's a problem a machinist may be able to overcome you could go that route... but it would be $$$$ (there are very few things a machinist and some money can't overcome when talking about removing stock... which I assume will be needed because the mini 30's receiver is a hair beefier than the 14's)
good luck - hell, you could be the first and only guy with a Troy Mini 30...

another possible option if you are looking for an aluminum chassis type stock would be to go with a Clyde armory SCAR stock - and trade out the buffer tube/carbine style stock for an AR15 A2 style fixed unit.
no full length rail there - but your Mini30 tac does have scope mounts on it and you could add a rail there or use the existing ruger rings.
end product would look something like this with a fixed A2 stock:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-12-2012, 18:09   #24
Banned
Last Achievements

i wonder if they would let me test it by bashing it up against a hardwood tree ? no but seriously i don't mind spending money to get what i want as far as im concerned firearms and ammo gains more interest then money in the bank. but i want it to be tough as nails stock if im gonna be banging around in the swamp
Old 03-12-2012, 18:45   #25
Last Achievements

Here is my 11 lb Mini-14 with all the accessories (to include the Kalifornia mandated magazine lock)...

Ruger 185 series Mini-14
Troy Mini 14 MCS chassis
Magpul UBR stock
Magpul MOE pistol grip
MAGPUL XTM Panels (OD/FDE checker pattern)
Troy Ind front BUIS
MATech 600m rear BUIS
VTAC front sling swivel mount
Tango Down Stubby vertical grip
Surefire M962 flashlight
Mo-Rod barrel strut
Defense Industries Magazine Lock
NC-Star 6x42 scope

Future accessories and upgrades:
BattleComp 1.5 Muzzle break
EoTech XPS3-4
KAC 600m BUIS
Gundoc trigger job
Accuracy Systems adjustable gas block
Accuracy Systems 16" fluted barrel in Satin Grey Finish

I am going to hate leaving all my NEW 30 rounders in AZ, oh well, at least I have 2 pre-ban 30 rounders I bought back in 1995 waiting for me in CA...

Last edited by Overkill1369; 03-12-2012 at 19:04. Reason: Added new photo and build items