Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sortafast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 12:22   #1
Points: 10,978, Level: 69 Points: 10,978, Level: 69 Points: 10,978, Level: 69
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

My mini and friends

Heres part of my "collection". 3 shooting irons and a $100 paper weight. So far I have put a Williams WGRS rear sight, John masen brake, Butler creek folder on the mini. Just got the barrel back from Cryopro, but have yet to shoot it since I did all the mods. Looking forward to getting the gas bushings and a trigger job. Also have a tasco world class 3-9x40, but cant mount it cause of the rear sight. hopefully i can remedy this once i get more $$ for it. But just got the money to build up my first AR (hence the paper weight) so the mini is good enough for now (still have to set up the new sights).
Attached Thumbnails
My mini and friends-post-64-1129490566.jpg  
Paul101 likes this.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:23   #2
Last Achievements

another angle.
Attached Thumbnails
My mini and friends-post-64-1129490635.jpg  
Old 10-16-2005, 16:56   #3
Points: 6,105, Level: 50 Points: 6,105, Level: 50 Points: 6,105, Level: 50
Last Achievements

Nice Mini!

What caliber is the Baretta and how accurate is it?
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 19:44   #4
Last Achievements

Originally posted by chimera@Oct 16 2005, 03:56 PM
Nice Mini!

What caliber is the Baretta and how accurate is it?
thanks. The beretta is a 9mm. It rocks, but its my wife's gun. I have a hard time shooting it because its a little short for me. Its perfect for her. I have a hard time seeing the top of the front sight. I tend to lose the top of the sight in lower light conditions and on shaded target. But it is pretty much dead on. I have yet to take it to a range and seriously work on my aim with it, but its good enough to get the job done. i would like to throw and EOtech 552 on it and a vertical grip, but its her gun and she likes it how it is, and she can out shoot me with it so i guess thats all that matters. i think i might get out to a 100yd quarry and hit up a paper target with in the next few weeks, so we shall see. But for home defense i think it would be my 2nd or 3rd choice behind a rem 870.
Old 10-16-2005, 21:24   #5
Points: 6,945, Level: 54 Points: 6,945, Level: 54 Points: 6,945, Level: 54
Last Achievements

Hey sortafast....
Nice collection you have there. I wouldn't mind having one of those Storms for my collection! Nice Garand too!

Kentucky
Old 10-17-2005, 09:18   #6
Last Achievements

thanks. bought that garand for me, but also for my wife's grandpa. Hes a korean war vet, and is just now started talking about the war. Got it right before her grandparents 50th. You should have seen the smile on his face when we showed up with the garand at their 50th anniversay. He was like a little kid. It was worth every penny I paid. could have gotten a used M1A or a nice AR from the same shop, but this was more than worth it. Plus its one of the local shops, so i have no problem paying a bit more. Good shooter too.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12   #7
Points: 39,870, Level: 100 Points: 39,870, Level: 100 Points: 39,870, Level: 100
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

good looking set of gun!

-tri
Old 10-17-2005, 20:29   #8
Points: 23,636, Level: 94 Points: 23,636, Level: 94 Points: 23,636, Level: 94
Last Achievements

Awsome collection so far. Good to hear about you buying the Garand for her pops, very thoughtful. Dont let that mini eat you alive with ammo cost and let us know who the cyro deal turned out for you, I'm planing on doing mine soon.

Chuck
DrMaxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:23   #9
Last Achievements

OK so on sunday I was starting the process of cleaning up the garden, when i came across 2 zucchini. We forgot that there were 2-3 zucchini left on the plant. Needlest to say they were each about 2.5 feet long and 6" in diameter. So to make a long story short, we couldnt use them for anything cause they were so big so we decided to go put the out of their misery. Basically I havent fired the gun since about a month before I did al the mods to it, excluding the BC Folder. So we set up at roughly 25-30 yds. We (my father-in-law and i), ran about 100-150 rounds through it. The barrel got incredibly hot at times, but the accuracy improvement was nothing short of amazing. I was able to sink about 4rounds into (from the distance I was at) into about 1/2 hole with the iron sights, and i dont know how many went through the same holes. I was also able to cut the end off of both of the doomed zuchini. another note, before when i would try to zero my scope at about 100yds i would get it perfect after a 20rd mag, then stop for about 4mins whilst i reloaded and shot the 10/22, when i would go back the the mini, the zero would shift every time. Hopefully i will be able to get it out at about 100yds this sunday and see how it holds up. But so far its like going from an axe to near surgical precision. I would recommend and will cryo more barrels in the future. Cryo pro was where i sent mine, and it did take a little bit, cause i think they only process gun barrels like once a week or something, but i dont care, it was well worth it. oh yea and this is only about a 1/3-1/4 of whats sitting in the safe. Gotta save some supprises. Its nice to finally own more guns than my wife
Old 10-18-2005, 19:40   #10
Points: 6,945, Level: 54 Points: 6,945, Level: 54 Points: 6,945, Level: 54
Last Achievements

sortafast.....

Great story about your Garand, I've always wanted one but never bit the bullet. The Garand is a true Battle Rifle, there's no hiding behind trees with that one, it'll punch right through them, within reason of course.
Your lucky to have someone who can tell you old war stories. I often think about some of the stories my Grandfather told me about WW2. Wish I had talked with him more about those days. Don't miss any opportunities to listen to your Grandad's stories.

Gona have to check into Cryopro.com. Sounds like it worked good for you. I live within 150 miles of them, might just have to make a little road trip!

Kentucky
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06   #11
Last Achievements

Originally posted by kentucky windage@Oct 18 2005, 06:40 PM
sortafast.....

Great story about your Garand, I've always wanted one but never bit the bullet. The Garand is a true Battle Rifle, there's no hiding behind trees with that one, it'll punch right through them, within reason of course.
Your lucky to have someone who can tell you old war stories. I often think about some of the stories my Grandfather told me about WW2. Wish I had talked with him more about those days. Don't miss any opportunities to listen to your Grandad's stories.

Gona have to check into Cryopro.com. Sounds like it worked good for you. I live within 150 miles of them, might just have to make a little road trip!

Kentucky
yeah its really cool to see his old pictures. He did areal (sp?) recon, so he had some time on his hands at points, so he bought a nice camera and took a ton of B&W pictures. He even has his old bomber jacket. I just wish my grandpa would talk about the war. He was in the korean war too, but he did artillery and something with communications. But he will not talk about it at all, other than to say he will not eat rice. But I can totally respect that, as I cannot even imagine the horrible things he saw overthere. My wife's grandpa said about 1 in 7 of the people he knew made it back. war is never a good thing.
But the Cryo thing is well worth it. nice to live so close eh? It took mine about 3weeks roundtrip with shipping and processing time. Be nice to just drop it off and 3-5days later just go and pick it up.
Old 01-31-2011, 00:48   #12
Points: 987, Level: 16 Points: 987, Level: 16 Points: 987, Level: 16
Last Achievements

Nice Sorta..... but I don't know which I like more, the guns or your hardwood flooring.
BeagleJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41   #13
Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

sortafast,

Nice collection!

I've always been tempted to get a Butler Creek folder for my Mini-14. Just never took the plunge. Nice looking rifle!

Also, I really like that M1 Garand. In fact, it would be great if you could post some solo pics of it in the Garand section.

BTW, make sure if you have any questions about your upcoming AR-15 build to check out the AR-15 forum here. Lots of good guys willing to lend input, tips and kudos (once it's done, of course).