M14 and M1A Talk M14 and M1A rifles - General Posting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48   #1
M14 guy
Points: 28,543, Level: 99 Points: 28,543, Level: 99 Points: 28,543, Level: 99
Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3%
Last Achievements

Rogue bullpup conversion stock for the M14/M1A

By now, most M14/M1A enthusiasts have read about or seen a bullpup conversion stock for the M14/M1A rifle.
The first one I saw was the Bulldog from SRSS, but I never succeeded in buying one... I was approached by a guy named Dino February of 2011 with an offer to try out a new bullpup stock for the M14/M1A - the Rogue.

My Rogue chassis, the very first production model, was delivered to my home on the final day of July 2011.

The bullpup configuration is both cool and strange. I tried several different configurations before I got it to where I felt good with it.

You can see what I did @ H2O's Rogue Modifications & Upgrades

If you are considering buying a Rogue there are a few things you should know about it.

1. It's heavy... it's heavier than any of my SAGE EBRs and TROY MCS that I've owned.

2. The Rogue trigger uses a steel rod to reach back to the rifles trigger, you feel the added linkage and the rod rattles.

3. Mag changes require a 'reach around' technique that is cumbersome and slow.

4. Optics require additional height... I used a riser and a set of tall rings to get proper scope alignment.

5. Unlike the SAGE EBR, the Rogue chassis is not designed to enhance your rifles accuracy.

6. The Rogue conversion kit is expensive, expect to spend around $1k to get a basic kit.

Bottom line:

*The basic kit weighs just over 6 pounds... that's before you install a barreled action and minimal accessories. A complete Scout barreled action weighs just under 6 pounds... a naked Rogue will weigh 12 pounds and it only gets heavier.

The Rogue conversion kit is an interesting option for a few owners of the M14/M1A rifle. The kit attempts to transform the basic service rifle into a modern day, multi-purpose Close-Quarter Battle Sniper rifle. It's bullpup configuration attempts to do this by moving the rifle action 11.75 inches closer to the users body. This may look good on paper, but the design ends up transforming a once well balanced rifle with good, user friendly ergonomics into a heavy unbalanced rifle with most of the weight distributed to the rear... mag changes become slow & problematic and the bullpup configuration is not user friendly to left handed shooters.

A recent check of multiple internet sites/forums shows waning
interest in the J-Tactical M14 Rogue bullpup conversion kit.

I guess the grin factor doesn't last very long after all.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 06-22-2012 at 12:10.
H2O MAN is offline   Reply With Quote