Perfect Union banner

If you could get only 1 M1A which would you get?

32K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  wlhawk 
#1 ·
Hi folks, well I think I have decided on an M1A. Now I can't decide which one.

I am looking at the Socom 16, the Scout Squad or a Loaded. All of them have attributes I want but I can't have them all. :(

With the Socom or Scout there is the forward rail. The Socom has a Tritium front sight that I like. But the Loaded has the better rear sight barrel and the tuned trigger.

So which did you choose and why?

#2 ·
I chose a Standard Rack Grade M1A because I couldn't afford a Match Grade M1A and figured I could start there and build it up. If I could buy another M1A I would buy a Socom 16. I want a prepper gun and I think the synthetic stock is a better real world gun.
But you need to ask your self what do you want your M1A to do,
Joe R

#3 ·
Well I currently own an M4 and a Mini 14 tactical so my CQB rifle needs are taken care of. The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards the Loaded M1A. It will give me a longer range option with better punch. I just wish it had the forward rail as the others do.

I do like the idea of the Walnut stock just to be old school but a poly stock would probably be a better option and a bit lighter.

#4 ·
Well, the forward rail is easy enough to refit onto whatever you choose. So I'd get the barrel length you want and put a rail onto it if it doesn't come with one. The Scout handguard used to be a USGI handguard with a window cut out to fit the mount. The mount would fit any barrel of the USGI contour. No big thing. But I don't think the SAI Scout mount is all that good.

I personally enjoy my USGI M14 clone built on a Fulton receiver. Had a Scout, sold it to finance the full-size clone. I'm not much into optics, though.

#6 ·

I've got the M1A that I want. It's an early Springfield Armory standard model. No "loaded," no "match grade," no shorty model, no scope. Only one opinion but I do like the better ballistics rendered from the standard length barrel and prefer to keep the muzzle blast farther away from me so don't want anything to do with any of the short-barreled versions. Compactness is over-rated in my view and wouldn't likely actually be as enjoyable to shoot over the long term.

This rifle is equipped with an SAK 1-69 barrel and is good for 1 1/2-inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards from a bench rest, 1 1/4-inch if I'm really in the shooting mood.

It's been a dependable rifle for high-power competition shooting at the local level and is great fun for long range plinking sessions from a canyon rim.

#8 ·
I went with the Springfield. LRB and others were not out at the time I purchased. Springfield has a lifetime warranty which helps.

Anyway, I got the loaded with the stainless barrel. Since, I've added the Smith Ent. mount, Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5 - 10 x 30mm scope sitting in Smith Ent. rings. I also had them do a match trigger job.

#10 ·
Sounds like a nice setup. Have you had any issues with it? The reason I ask is that over at the m14 forum many of those guys recommend staying away from newer Springfields. I cannot afford and LRB and the older Springfields with GI parts sure cost a premium as well.

#12 ·
Hi folks, well I think I have decided on an M1A. Now I can't decide which one.

I am looking at the Socom 16, the Scout Squad or a Loaded. All of them have attributes I want but I can't have them all. :(

With the Socom or Scout there is the forward rail. The Socom has a Tritium front sight that I like. But the Loaded has the better rear sight barrel and the tuned trigger.

So which did you choose and why?
My very first was a Scout Squad and I firmly believe the 18.0" barrel is the very best length length for general purpose shooting... I like mine with a GLFS and a DC Vortex from SEI.

If you prefer a traditional stock consider installing the M8 hand guard from UltiMAK and a low sitting Aimpoint or Scout scope.

I you want a pistol grip consider an EBR chassis from SAGE. BTW, you can have any M1A/M14 trigger tuned after buying the rifle.

My collection includes a 16.25", two 18.0" and two 22.0" configurations.

#19 ·
Another vote for Standard.
Out of the box, most M1As can shoot better than their owners. Spend the extra $ on ammo, magazines and a Dillon 550.
You can easily add the tritum sight or a rail to the Standard, if those are gotta-have items.
My M1A started life as a Bush model, but I couldn't warm up to the 18" barrel, so it got a standard chrome-lined barrel installed. I'm much happier with it now.

The FAL seems "right" with either an 18" or 21", but the M1A just feels better with a 21" barrel.

#30 · (Edited)
I have two Springfield Armory Super Match rifles and a SA Loaded model. The rear sight on the Loaded will be replaced with a SA National Match rear sight, which will turn the Loaded model into a National Match model, in a composite stock instead of the wood stock.

My hands are wide, with short fingers, so I like the feel of the composite stock in my hands, better than I like Springfield's other stocks. However, the SA composite stock needs to be stiffened up quiet a bit, especially in the forearm.

Springfield's composite stock needs some serious glass bedding help, to bring out the accuracy of the M1A.

Bill

#33 ·
My M1A is a Standard that was built in 1994. Using the part number list on Different's web site it appears most of the parts are USGI.
I selected a Standard as it most closely resembled the M-14 that was my Army basic training rifle, the M-14 was also my issue rifle in a stateside artillery unit in 1968-69.
The only accessories I have added are a Vietnam era web sling and an issue M-6 bayonet.
When I hold her in my arms, once again I am 19 years old and invincible.:D

I was issued an M-16A1 for my adventure in 'Nam, and while I lusted long and hard for an M-14, I have absolutely no desire to own an AR.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.