Perfect Union banner

springfield M1A, value for the $$$?

36K views 98 replies 28 participants last post by  badorderbob 
#1 ·
ok, i think i could really like a springfield m1a. i really like the mini 14, and i think it would be a similar gun, but more powerful. i am casually considering starting a fund to save up for one (which will take me months or years). but i would appreciate it if some of the knowledgeable folk here could answer me a few questions.

1) why is the springfield M1A so dang expensive? if the answer is "better quality", please describe. the price has to be one the most undesireable traits of this gun.

2) does anyone other than springfield make new ones?

3) shoots 7.62 & 308 no prob right?

4) for owners, is it worth the $$$? why?

5) problems? concerns? why it may not be for me?

6) is cleaning/matinance difficult or easy? accuracy?

7) anything else?? i am not very knowledgeable about this gun.

thanks for any input.

See less See more
#47 ·
I've owned two M1A rifles, a Supermatch (high end heavy barreled target model) and a SOCOM 2 w/extended rail that I just posted here recently. Love these guns. You get the power of the 7.62x51 / .308 cartridge, a rotating bolt, and the best iron sights ever put on a rifle. Not as accurate as a bolt action (but what is?), but close. There are lots of hot rod accuracy tricks to do to make your rifle group better than a stock off the shelf rifle. Don't worry about a cast receiver. Had gun manufacturers had the technology to make tough and durable cast receivers from WWII through the Korean conflict, they would have done so then. All Ruger firearms are cast as well. It's accepted technology. Is forged better? Yes, of course. Is it a necessity? No. And with a lifetime warranty it is nice to know that the product will be backed by the factory. Mini 14's resemble an M14 platform but the internals are of different design and an M1A is far more accurate, so you will appreciate that. M1A's do have hiccups however. Replace the extractor right off the bat. Springfield Armory extractors are not durable or reliable. An M1 Garand extractor will fit, a Baretta BM59 extractor will fit, a USGI M14 extractor will fit. It only Costs under $20 bucks and is well worth it.

#49 ·
Yes. That's how I found out about it, from web information of owners of new M1A rifles have to be returned multiple times for extraction issues. The more I searched the more the problem was narrowed down to the extractor. If you get a Baretta BM59 extractor and hold it side by side you will see the difference between the two. The Baretta extractor is perfect in every way. Uniformity, cleanliness, polish, finish, hardness, is all superior. It just looks better, no contest. I read that Springfield used to use USGI extractors and started making them in house for cost/availability reasons. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it causes lots of headaches. For the cost of a 20 dollar part for the insurance that it probably wont fail, I see it as a worthy investment. Oh, the spring plunger that puts tension on the extractor was very very rough. I stoned it smooth and it just popped in smoothly. Maybe the custom shop guns are better because the price you are paying for includes a smith fitting and polishing moving parts. Not the rack models. Now remember, I'm the kind of person that buys a brand new bicycle, takes it home, and totally dismantles it because it isn't properly lubed and the bearing clearances are too tight. Preventative maintenance is the key. AR rifles are the same way. If you get a bargain model it's going to have issues because it's not fitted properly (by my standards at least). Companies just can't put hours of work into production models at the price point they sell them for. I understand this and am just glad my Father raised me to work with tools in the garage.

#51 ·
I've had two M1-A's both Springfields and have fired everything through them I could get a hold of. Never had a jam, malfunction or misfire in either of them. Either I'm blessed or this baby is worth the money. Besides it's made of steel and wood and doesn't look like a piece of injected molded crap like some of the AR's but then I'm 81 years old and may have a bias. As far as the cost, I've never heard of a guy on his death bed saying "boy am I glad I didn't spend my money on that rifle". Good luck, Gene

#57 ·
I can't understand why you guys have a problem with cast recievers. They are investment castings which in many ways a superior to forgings. Ruger built their reputation on investment castings and I've never heard of a failure in any of their recievers. Maybe I'm missing something but I've been Manufacturing Engineer for 40 years and have some experience in this area.

#62 ·
I thought we were talking about investment castings in general. If you want to talk about a specific firearm I'm sure you will find plenty of opinions out there. As they say "opinions are like you know what, everybody's got one". From the short time I've been on these forums it seems like a lot of anecdotal information is out there which is fine around the campfire as long as it's not presented as fact. Stay cool

#82 ·
Somewhere on page 2 there was the assertion that current model year Springfield Armory M1As don't hold their value. While that may be true, as a guy in the market for an M1A I just don't see it. I can buy a new one here in Ohio for under $1200. The Scout model I've been looking for is $1449. I've been studying Armslist.com very closely for a couple months and haven't seen them anywhere near that cheap. That's what I'd call appreciation. If the Springfield M1As are depreciating, who will sell me one for less than retail?

#83 ·
Springfield Amory M-14, ATTN. Hawkguy...

Hawkguy, First, just let me say that the Springfield Amory M-14 is worth the money. That is if you want the best. When I was in the Marine Corp, we had to qualify with the M-14 at 200, 300 and 500 yards. At 200 and 300 yards, we shot both rapid and select fire. It is very easy to brake down and reassemble. It is very dependable. Many Marines staked their lives on it. To most Marines that qualifyed with the Springfield Amory M-14, there is not a better weapons platform.:)

#86 ·
What are you talking about?

I never buy anything Chinese if I can help it.

My wife came home from the store with some articles that were manufactured in China. I explained that she was helping China's economy and not the United States economy... She took the articles back.

Bill

#88 ·
Chinese made M14s have not been imported into this country for almost 2 decades, it's safe to say that the money I and the vast majority of M14S owners spent on these fine rifles in the secondary market supported the U.S. economy and gave aid and comfort to American citizens. The money I invested in modernizing my Norinco and Poly Tech M14s was spent with US and Canadian companies... none of it went to China.

#89 ·
It's too bad that you don't have an American Made product...

At some place in time, the money from the purchaser of your Chinese firearms went to China...

I know you're the snooty type, thinking you are the worlds expert on the M14 style firearms. There are ample threads where you talk down to people, displaying your self-agrandizing verbalizations.

However, you still own less desirable firearms.

The mousketeers hat fits your persona...!

At least the three M1-A's that I have, two Supermatch's and one loaded model, make me happy that my M1-A's were made in the USA, while yours are not.

Bill

#91 ·
It is a shame that you can't comprehend that other than
the second hand, used receivers, mine are American made.

Stillwater, try not to take yourself so seriously (we don't)
and you will be a much more desirable and happier person.

Your answer was what I was talking about, when I said your "snooty, know more than anybody, attitude"

Who cares if your favorite rifles have American made content...? China still made money off of them. That is evident, even using your own words (or is that gibberish).

Then, there is your childish attempt to make fun of my user name. That is another indication of your school girl childishness.

Desirable? Is that your frame of reference?

Bill

#93 ·
Springfield M1A quesion

I don't know how old your are or how often you shoot. I bought my Standard walnut stock Springfield M1A in 1980, and forgettting what it cost then, I absolutely love shooting it.

Just looked at Springfield web site and Springfield is charging around $1,900 for a standard walnut stock M1A. Fulton Armory builds M1A's but the lest expensive M1A is $2,700.

If you can afford the rifle then Buy it ! You'll never regret having it.

I have a Colt AR-15, but don't shoot it because I love the M1A. Besides, I'd rather have a 150 FMJBT going down range than a .22 bullet. From experience I Know the .30 bullet will penetrate cars and 1/4" steel.

If you reload; Lake city LC 97 once fired case, Win LRP:
Powder W748 IMR 4895 IMR 4064 WC846 Mil surplus powder
charge 43.5 42.0 43.5 44.0
Velocity 2.790 2.872 2,805 2,757
20 rounds fired from my rifle measured with my Chrony Beta Master.

#95 ·
I want gas piston and not gas impingement.

There is the AR15 with the cheapest piston rifle being the Stag model 8, which is only available with 5.56 caliber. That is like $1000.

The "Loaded" model M1A from SA is about 90% a match to everything I want out of my future rifle purchase including the set of iron sights it comes with and that stainless barrel and walnut stock.

The MSRP is $2k. If I can find it at a lower price that would be great, but If I have to I will pay the full price for it. That is how much I want it.

If we factor in inflation, paying $20 for a gun in the 1910s-1920s time period is like paying around $1200 with today's devalued Dollar.

So the gun I want is likely going to cost me a tad bit more than the historical average going rate for a rifle in the USA that wasn't made specifically to carry the lowest (or close to it) price tag on the market.

I am new to the M1A and think that without doing much more research and getting input from more knowledgeable folks I am making a safer bet on getting a quality rifle from SA than the other brands that are new and unfamiliar to me.

If there is one thing that is making me cautious about investing in this gun it is that you may need a tool to disassemble it for a field strip and cleaning.

I am more familiar with an AR.

#96 ·
I want gas piston and not gas impingement.

I am new to the M1A and think that without doing much more research and getting input from more knowledgeable folks I am making a safer bet on getting a quality rifle from SA than the other brands that are new and unfamiliar to me.
Springfield Armory, Inc. is the sole source for the M1A.
I would not hesitate buying an older M1A build with USGI parts.

Smith Enterprise, Inc. and LRB are great sources for high quality civilian M14s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.