M14 and M1A Talk M14 and M1A rifles - General Posting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 20:10   #1
Points: 7,250, Level: 56 Points: 7,250, Level: 56 Points: 7,250, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Picked up a new in the box polytech today.Owner said it had less than 2000rds fired.Any of you guys ever owned one or handled one?Are they good?Seems to be well made.I have been reading alot of bad things but everyone that I have talked with personally loved the rifle.Which leads me to belive most of the people saying the rifles are junk proably have never actually owned one?Anyways any info would be great!
WhiteWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 22:40   #2
Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73
Last Achievements

Theres lots of people who love their polly's. I think everyone usually changed out the bolt on them though for head spacing or somthing like that. not totally sure but you can find out a ton of info here: http://www.m-14forum.com/ Great group of guys over there plus knowlege that will leak out your ears hehe.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein
Dorkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:14   #3
Points: 9,286, Level: 64 Points: 9,286, Level: 64 Points: 9,286, Level: 64
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

I Love my PolyTech M-14 I have used it in many CMP long range matches, and no I never changed the bolt!!!! the gun is 100% POLYTECH!!!! I would only change the bolt if there was a problem........no problems yet and the bullets keep fly'n

RJSIXGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 21:14   #4
Registered Member
Points: 4,962, Level: 45 Points: 4,962, Level: 45 Points: 4,962, Level: 45
Last Achievements

The people at Fulton Armory really bash on Chinese M14s. They sound like crap rifles.

Read this review and be shocked:

Chinese M14 evaluation
Wulfmaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:10   #5
Registered Member
Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47 Points: 5,438, Level: 47
Last Achievements

I have a Norinco M-14S and I swear by it. I shoot 1" groups with it at 100yrds. Ive shot moose and deer with it, and put just about every kind of 308 round through it without a single misfire to to date. I dont know the price of the rifle state side, but in here in Canada I cost me $399.00 Canadian, which includes a mag, sling, cleaning kit and take down tool. I've used the rifle in 35 C to -25C weather and as I said have never had a misfire. I know it's not the be all and end all of rifles, and Springfields look nicer out of the box, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best deal out there. As far as my understanding is there were a number of rifles manufactured in the eighties and imported into the US by a company named polytech, these rifles had a number quality of issues. If you can get a new manufactured one, it wont dissapoint. everything is GI spec with the exception of the flash suppressor which has metric threads. I dont know what the low down is in the US as far as getting these chinese rifles, but all I can say is Norinco has come a long way, and while they may not look pretty out of the box, their M-14 and SKS are topnotch in my books.
sparkywonderpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 14:58   #6
Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73
Last Achievements

Importation of any type of new Nornico product is ban in the USA(since the 80s I think). Norinco has been one of the worst offendors of proliforation of WMD's, Medium to long range missiles, small arms, vehicals, weapons platforms, attack boats and so on and so forth. Especially with middle eastern countries and if I remember correctly they are the ones who helped North Korea go Nuclear and they have been aiding Iran too. Not good people to help fund.

The only way to get one is on the used market of product here before the ban.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein
Dorkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 16:17   #7
Registered Member
Points: 4,962, Level: 45 Points: 4,962, Level: 45 Points: 4,962, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Yeah, Norinco is a badguy when it comes to America but I still have fond memories of my very first SKS (Norinco) bought brand new back in 1985. It shot straight as an arrow and was just a joy to shoot with. I made the mistake of selling it for help with my college tuition to a biker chick who had "fu*k You" tattooed on the fingers of her hands. I actually accepted a check from her (which bounced, of course) after getting all sorts of identification first. Sigh. I miss that old rifle. The woman was eventually caught (thanks to all the ID I'd gotten from her) and was sentenced to 5 years. She was apparently stealing guns like this to feed a drug habit. She'd only buy them on Sundays, when all the banks were closed, from trusting souls who advertised their guns for sale in the newspaper and accepted checks from her.
Wulfmaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49   #8
Points: 7,532, Level: 57 Points: 7,532, Level: 57 Points: 7,532, Level: 57
Last Achievements

what a great way to drum up work for yourself
jtv3062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:31   #9
Points: 5,229, Level: 46 Points: 5,229, Level: 46 Points: 5,229, Level: 46
Last Achievements

Polytechs are considered to have some of the best receivers, if the price is right, say anywhere from $500 to $700 in the U.S., they are worth having.
elokoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:48   #10
Points: 9,811, Level: 66 Points: 9,811, Level: 66 Points: 9,811, Level: 66
Last Achievements

Hey all,

Remember back to the late 70's early 80's. Polytech brought out their AK Legend series. It came in a few various forms,cost over a thousand $,and was raved over by American gun rags as one of the best AK systems around.

When the Norinco, and poly SKS's came out they were OK too. The worst you might hear is their finish needed work.(I like the rougher finish myself,don't tend to baby it as much as my springfeild).I had a norinco SKS for a while,and it allway's did what it was supposed to.

Then they come out with a fairly priced M14 clone.Priced so your average Joe could afford one.This is going to cost the American company's some sale's for sure.Then came the name calling, the snobbery,and the very unfair gun test's.Things like leaving the action spring's packed with cosmoline,and then shooting the weapon till the cosmoline burst in to flames,and fried the temper out of the spring's.Of course the weapon then failed the test.( Big Surprize.)Also the Chin's forgot all their metallurgy skill's over night.I wonder how many Legend AK's have soft bolt's,Or bad head space?And that aint all,they also lost their abbility to machine a bolt so the locking lug's fit the weapon's receiver.Probably due to the bolt's butter like consistancy.

Hey don't worry though,the guy's making and selling those very expensive M14 clone's here in America are willing to upgrade those butter soft part's with American G.I. part's,and only for more than you paid for the inferior Weapon to begin with.This is possible because even though the chin's screwed everything else up their receiver's are just great! Dimensions are almost perfect. So pile on those over priced American G.I. Part's!

I have a poly and a S.A.,and though the S.A. has a nicer finnish the poly has no trouble keeping up with it.It's proved it self very reliable.
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44   #11
Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51
Last Achievements

I have a polytech.

We rockwell tested the receiver and bolt. The receiver was generally just under 60(This is good), but the bolt was about 40 and little soft. My gunsmith said that bolt hardness should match receiver hardness to avoid issues like undue wear on the bolt.

The bolt would not close over a military field headspace gauge (Probably for an M60 machine gun), but would accept a .308 no go gauge. We replaced the polytech bolt with a TRW bolt. It was necessary to machine the face of the bolt ( some sort of diamond tool was used) to allow it to close over ammunition. The polytech barrel bore is chrome plated and my gunsmith said that using a reamer on such a chamber was not a good idea. Gun seems to function, but will likely need some bedding work.

I am presently looking for match rear sights for it. One of ridges around the base pin of the rear sight is not quite right. Otherwise the gun is quite good. I plan to replace the sear setup eventually since they are said to also be soft.
These guns were supposedly orginally supplied to rebel groups and perhaps the soft bolt might have been meant to last only a short time. Just a guess on my part. Also the receivers were apparently made on US of A fixtures and jigs that first went to tawain and then made their way to red china. The chinese are great businessmen.

Last edited by barnetmill; 03-16-2006 at 07:46.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49   #12
Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51 Points: 6,215, Level: 51
Last Achievements

I forgot to add that I paid about $400 for the polytech and it is a complete copy of a M14 except for the solid flash hider with out lug, and lack of capability to accept the full auto parts. The buttstock is steel, with hinged flap, and cleaning kit.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote