M14 and M1A Talk M14 and M1A rifles - General Posting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2003, 17:09   #1
Points: 7,372, Level: 57 Points: 7,372, Level: 57 Points: 7,372, Level: 57
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

hi all,
I posted sometime back about inquiring the comparison of the new springfield
M1a and at the time the scope pkg deal was all but over. So i waited a whole year
for the Offer to return and it did even sooner than before.
I tried local gun delaers in southern cal and no one wants to budge so online i went and presto winning bid was 1259 + 250 for 1" rings 3rd gen mount and range finding scope. All springfield and all only a little mouse click away. I decided on the synthetic after handling the wood with my mini. the dessert is a harsh enviroment and knicks and dings are just too much heart break. I did read a good post where one member here bought the wood furniture as a show piece when gloating is appropiate... LOL

Had to get this due to the big push in CALIF Anti gun laws. to end gun owner rights. If the action meets or beats the reliability i have had with my mini -14 ruger I will be truly blessed.

I word to any of those who are comptemplating the purchase for that special or first M1a. Buy it not on impulse, but let the right rifle and the right price make itself available to you. There are really a lot of very nice gun dealers in this great nation that really make the whole question and answer (the Hunt) well worth the adventure.

But most of all take even more time to read this forum and it's very wide diversity of M1a enthusiast. No place greater a Internet based Open forum have i found for the M1a than here. Members insigts here range from the extreme scrutiny to life long devoted experinces. Do not cheat your self out of learning and exposing yourself and your questions and opinons for the world to see for it truly makes the bounty that much sweeter. Thank You to all whom took the time and cared enough to yet educate a new potetial M1a Owner to the ranks.

I will post pics once it arrives and i have completed my 10 day waiting period.

I gonna be busy for a while now amassing all those past post on proper break in of the M1a. you know
what mil surplus ammo to or to not use.
proper type of ammo type lubrication sequences while breaking in.
field stripping, cleaning and of course which brand of additonal 10 round mags that really work.

the M1a i purchased is
MA9826CA
black synthetic stock
SS med wieght NM barrel
NM 2 stage trigger
NM rear sight (non Hooded)
Nm front sight
is known as standard " loaded" Pkg.
coupon supplies
1" rings
3rd gen mount
range finding scope
should include as well a small pocket knife but it seems those are rarly in stock.

Much thanks to All here.
bc
Old 07-26-2003, 18:23   #2
Points: 9,384, Level: 65 Points: 9,384, Level: 65 Points: 9,384, Level: 65
Last Achievements

Congratulations to you bc-I to own a Springfield standard loaded M1A.Model #MA9222,I picked mine up after searching for quite awhile.Got a 'as new" one from my local gun&pawn shop.For the tidy sum of 1250.00!Whata bargain! She's a beauty.No scratches no marks of any kind on her.I doubt the guy who owned er before me put more than one or two clips thru her! I put a John Mason 3rd gen scope mount on it.Some Burris med. hight rings & a Simmons 3.8 by 12 by 44mm Aetec scope w/adjustable objective.Sweet little setup.Now as for ammo I use only military surplus.Portuegse in the 200rd battlepacks-so far has been the best. Also South Arican in the 140rd b/packs-works good too but,it's a little dirty.Yet well worth the money.Have also shot Hirtenberger in 400rd. ammo cans.It's pretty ammo but doesn't in my humble shoot any better than the Portu. stuff.Got a 1000rd.case of Santa Barbara surplus ammo awhile back-no problems w/that as well.O.K.-that being said you should'nt pay more than 40.00 for a 200rd bat./pack.Or more than 28.00 for the 140rd South African.A great place to look for ammo is in Shotgun News.Also you should have gotten a loaded package{deal}card with reduced prices for a host of Springfield M1A goodies including mags.I recommend you get the Sprinfield 10rd. mags.If you did'nt get the loaded coupon-then go on the web to CDNN's site they have OEM 10rd mags for 20.00 buck a pop.Dont buy cheap aftermarket mags! They have piss poor lugs on the back of the mags and don't lock-up in the magwell.Well I've babbled on for long enuff-so I wish you loads of fun with your M1A-welcome to the club!

[
ralrein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 21:32   #3
Points: 8,684, Level: 62 Points: 8,684, Level: 62 Points: 8,684, Level: 62
Last Achievements

Congrats on the the M1A. I too am from cali and know how hard it is to buy good rifles here in cali. I have an m1a also and got the m1a with 3rd gen.scope mount and 6x20 scope for an extra $99.00. I was truly blessed with that buy.

Word of advise, you may want to start saving your pennies for an arms18 scope mount, for the 3rd gen scope is all alumium and breaks. I broke mine and have heard a lot of stories about other m1a owners having trouble with the 3rd gen mount. On the flipside, the 6x20 scope is awseome. My m1a has an arms 18 mount with Warne QDrings and 6X20 scope. I am planning to purchase one of the good red dot scopes pretty soon and use both scope and red dot with QD rings.

The M1A is awesome and you will cherish that rilfe till day you pass on.

blzn69
blzn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 15:26   #4
Points: 9,888, Level: 66 Points: 9,888, Level: 66 Points: 9,888, Level: 66
Last Achievements

Congrats on the new addition to your family ...

I'm certain it will bring you many years of enjoyment ...

Enjoy that puppy ...

Six
Old 08-10-2003, 10:27   #5
Last Achievements

ralrein1 thanks for the breakdown on the mil. surplus ammo will keep scanning the shotgun news for those types. Ten round extra mags from springfield are just fine no hassles no problems on the firing line. thanks-

blzn69 gonna save my pennies for when i need that scope mount upgrade thanks for the inside skinny on make and brand for the replacement.

SixT gunr- those stocks on those weapon platforms should be in a gallery on exhibt. No finer grain of wood have i seen so brilliant. Mother nature indeed must be pro gun ally to provide such beauty to black forged steel.

I just purchased a bipod online not harris but springfield reproduction. Found that excellent article on the history of the venerable M-14. So i pass up on the chinese and viet made bipods when in actual they are original... i let it go for $60 go figure...

next will be a good sling/ ammo 308 / m14 scabard and sheave.

shootem if ya got' em
later
bc
Old 08-10-2003, 13:50   #6
Last Achievements

Hi there bc_ca-Goota hot tip for you on some ammo.It's in the August 18th 2003 edition of Shotgun News page no. 24-uppermost right hand corner.South African 140rd battlepacks at 21.93 apiece!Smokin' deal!If you buy more it gets cheaper.Hope this helps.Have fun shooting!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:47   #7
Last Achievements

hi ralrein1 - thank you
i have got to grab a copy at my local walmart.
if i get any time off from work
thanks again for the ammo scoop
any body else spend the day just snapin in?
some things in life are just about a man and his rifle.
support your local ranges
bc
Old 08-21-2003, 22:14   #8
Last Achievements

BC_Ca you are welcome. Let me know what ammo you get and how ya like it . Have fun
Old 09-01-2003, 17:49   #9
Last Achievements

One less orphaned M1a. I'm bringin her home tuesday sept. 2.
OF course it's a she. I just dont know her name yet till we lay some cover fire downrange.
later
bc
Old 09-01-2003, 18:19   #10
Last Achievements

What's up bc ca- You scored another M1A. Wow You dog. What type is she? Man now you have as many as me I'm gonna have to get another. P.S. did you get any of that South African in the 140rd. battlepacks?
Old 09-02-2003, 22:39   #11
Last Achievements

OH don't I wish.
I have not got the 1st one safely into the safe yet. 10 day waitin period just ended today but gunshop closed early. I get to race off after work to pick it up wed.
the 3rd. However i do get to start another 10 day waiting period on the high standard i bought last week as i pick up the M1a. My wife gets to start her 10day waitin period on the goverment ruger 22 i pick out JuSt.. for her as well since only one handgun may be purchased in a 30 day waiting period.
If i do get another M1a it will be no doubt a scout.

I it will need to be used and will see plenty of sand rocks and extreme heat
during the summer outtings in the local deserts.

Your still one up on me but i'm a looking
shoot'em if ya gotta 'em
take care
bc

I just pickup the aug 8th shotgun news
i see lots of plastic bagged 10round .308 ammo makes me leary.
seems like the austrlian ammo has dried up for now and indian, israel or african is all that's left.
Old 09-03-2003, 00:27   #12
Last Achievements

Oh I see- I thought you'd done got another one. Well I know how you feel,quitting time will not come early enough for you tomorrow! Getting a High Standard .22cal pistol.....very cool. A shooting buddy o mine's dad has an old High Standard that he got in the 1930's or something like that. Got to shoot it a few months back and boy I tell you what- that pistol is sharp and shoots like a firecracker. Pretty darn accurate too. Have a great time w/your new M1A and if you can, post a pic or two. I'd really like to see it. As I'm sure the rest of the guys here would like to see it too.
Old 09-05-2003, 22:55   #13
Last Achievements

OK i got to pick up my rifle but only after being held hostage again by the state of
kami-we-hate-guns-ornia. They no longer accept a DD-214 as proof of proper gun handling and training! Only if you retire with 20+years do they acknowledge your DD-214 in Kami-fornia. SO Being on the spot they told me i had to take a 30 question test from the Great state of anti-gun Legal ownership CA. which wanted an addtional $25.00 out of pocket and the risk if i failed to pass I get a second chance 24 hrs later then the third chance would come only after 6months!!!
I told them bring on the test. Second warning came from the gun shop keep.
Without studing for it??? yeah i think after 8 1/2 years of service and being active with reading and standing up against cailf violations of Constitutional rights of gunownership of the individual. They were not gonna stop this transaction unchallenged. Took their test standing up i might add and scored a 100% on the spot. Got my new we'll let you purchase gun card and took my rifle hoem and sighend up for the 10 day wait on the high standard.

inside the my blue and white box
i found
several things
1 M1a synthetic black stock
us army tech manual 1963
springfield saftey manual
1 M1a 10 round magazine installed in the weapon
Bolt held open by 1 flag safety.
The weapon is very very dryly lubricated.
Instruction repeat constantly that weapon is desighned to operate dryly.
I attached the the M2 bi pod and Gi Sling to the weapon. what a sight!
Back in the box she goes until the ammo arrives
Seeing the garand action of the m1a reminds me of my ruger mini-14
now i have the best of both worlds.
later
bc
Old 09-06-2003, 01:20   #14
Last Achievements

Bc_ca- Congrats on aceing the test! So leme get this straight, the test wasn't for the rifle,right? It's some new B.S. thing to get pistols. Am I correct? When I left Kali in 2002-you had to have the BFSC card- a basic firearms safety course and it was supposed to be good for 5 years. Well I guess that was just another lie from Greyhead Davis(Kommy Bastard). That guy just lives on a hole other planet. Anyway so what kinda ammo you have coming? I too have the M2 bipod......a little heavy,but it does look awsome on the rifle. Once you get a scope mount and scope. You'll be totally set. I agree about the best of both worlds statement. The Ruger Mini14 is pretty-much just a scaled down M14/M1A. I think the actions of the M1Garand, M14/M1A,M1 carbine and the Mini14/30 are very similar. Well, enjoy your rifle.
Old 09-06-2003, 21:53   #15
Last Achievements

things have changed again as of jan1,2003 my friend...
SUch as to recieve any rifle or weapon you must have the
handgun safety card. unless you have a 20 year retirment on your DD-214!
hunting lic, is no longer validation, hunter safety either as well.
You now must take and pass the handgun safety card test to take ownership of any firearm long or short purchased as a california state resident.
i ordered 1k of the african 308 ammo got a restock of 1k on the 62 grain 223 wolf ammo for the mini-14 and 500 rounds of 40s&w and 45acp of S&B.
the mini-14 was my first introduction to the garand style action.
Still way too hot and humid to spend the days on the range here in the southern desert of california but soon the weather will break and cooler days ahead for fun filled days on the range are in store.
If i could have one device from the M1a on all my other wepons it would be the sights front and rear. what a beautful sight picture one beholds thru the M!A sights.
Range reports due out in late sept early oct on my new M1a. I will post pic's when my camera comes back from repair. until
then
Shoot'em if ya gott'em
BC