Hereís why itís a good thing the US military is getting rid of the M14 - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

M14 and M1A Talk M14 and M1A rifles - General Posting

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 16:41   #26
Operation:Mindcrime

I almost forgot, of course you can carry more bullets. The round is for varmints, so ya gotta shoot the BGs more times!

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13   #27
Registered Member

I was one of the very last units to go through USMC boot camp with the M14 including rifle range. We did get to fire 16's on that night fire thing when they allowed visitors and you got to fire tracer rounds. As I was getting out Oct 10, 1973, the new MCRD units were coming in with M16's. I shot 248 out of 250 expert with an off the rack 14 (an H & R). When I went to my unit A battery 1/10 2nd Mar Div, we had M16's. They were POS.

I must admit they made a great hose, but reaching out and touching someone, accurately, not happening. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with my 16. I didn't miss with the 14. That is exactly why they ended up bringing them back in the early 2000's as the limitations of the original AR design and 5.56 became apparent. One thing that bugs me is that all the 16's were full auto back in my day. You might be able to carry more rounds for the same weight (prime reason for approving them), but I know most would go through that in a flash spraying and praying. I believe that was why the Marines went to the three round burst version (A2?). One tends to aim more with a 14 and hit what they aim at.

I must admit, that the M4 in urban warfare appears to be the best use of the AR platform in 5.56. Few targets more than 25 yards away and short easy to maneuver in tight places. I note the Marines are probing getting rid of theirs with that new M27 platform. I don't think they have ever loved the AR platform in 5.56 but may have found a core improvement still with the same manual of arms. They are being careful with how they approach it, but you can see that they would like it for all Marines. I think they want it as their primary assault rifle. And it will reach out and touch someone much more effectively is my understanding. Wikipedia has a bit under combat reviews on it. For a failed weapon though the M14 is still around addressing the shortcomings of the AR/5.56 platform that have been there since the beginning. It was a flawed platform (retrofitting the "forward assist assembly" from the gitgo and that "alteration" was nothing more than fixing a fatal flaw of the original design. As you can tell, I do not own any black guns unless you consider my mini 14 one. "Old School"
Voyager28 likes this.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:21   #28
RJF

RedFour, first of all, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Your comments are prescient! Both the M-16 and M14 formats have their appropriate role. Urban combat favors the M-16; something a bit further is more appropriate for the M-14, or at least a firearm chambered for the .308.

I learned in JROTC shooting on the M1 Garand and the M14 - both wonderful weapons, and far preferred over the M-16. But there is something valid about how many rounds you can carry and the anticipated target. It is, unfortunately, a logistics thing.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2017, 13:24   #29

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
You do not need a 30-06 cartridge to kill a man.

The 308 is plenty from 750 yards.

And 750 yards is plenty of distance.
Don't need a 12.7x99mm either. But it works, and works very well. Follow up shots generally not needed. And 7.62 nato and m2ball are balistically interchangeable.
Life begins at triple-0. If I'm in a shooting fight, I want to be as far as reasonably possible away. Say, at least 1400 meters. Combat has nothing to do with sporting. Besides, it's fun to watch the reaction when someone's squadmate or terrorist brother gets turned into jello pudding, and they have no clue where the shot came from.
RJF, Voyager28 and tcsafety like this.
MOA club member
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 13:36   #30
RJF

Loved the .50 cal spotter round from a 106mm RR. Best sniper rifle, ever.
Old 03-16-2017, 17:17   #31
G-C
Registered Member

Yup!

Originally Posted by Lurp2 View Post
Don't care what the article says I always liked the M 14, and as in the article the men who carried one in Iraq an Afghanistan liked them too.
Better rifles will always come along but the M 14 has its place and in this "spray and pray"
combat world the guy with the M14 stands tall.
I was a Squad Designated Marksman with the M14EBR. For us it was for over watch with a good Leupold scope and a lethal round.

20 rounds downrange at distance with lethality, fast. I'm pretty sure that's how it was explained to me without using a bunch of cuss words. This is only my second post on this forum. But, yeah. The M14 stands tall.
2rangers and Voyager28 like this.
G-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14   #32

Redfour, I also shot expert with the M-14 but with the M-16 in 1969 I also shot expert with it and had an even higher score. The targets only went to 400 meters instead of 600 so that helped but most were very accurate then. I do not know what happened with you and your rifle. Maybe you got worn out guns as some others did and reported issues. My AR's all shoot under 2.0 MOA. and some under 1.5 MOA or better.
But I realize not everyone gets that level of accuracy for several reasons.
D2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09   #33

While my son was in Afghanistan, two on patrol had AR10's. Not sure the exact make/model. Marines.

Last edited by dh1633pm; 03-22-2017 at 10:05.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43   #34

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Loved the .50 cal spotter round from a 106mm RR. Best sniper rifle, ever.
The 105(106) RR used to break firing pins alot, though. When they worked, they were awesome.
MOA club member
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 14:19   #35
RJF

2, was in 2/1 Inf (9th ID, Ft Lewis) in the mid '70s when they took away our 106s and replaced them with TOWs. We were very unhappy. Held onto our 90mm RRs until I left in '79 (still had to receive the DRAGON in '78). Loved our '90s, particularly the beehive round (good for clearing fields of fire).

Was the BMO for the Bn for a while. Don't recall firing pin problems, but do recall 4.2" sight problems, and their non-availability...A lifetime ago.