Do you wish you had bought a different model M1A? - Shooting Sports Forum

M14 and M1A Talk M14 and M1A rifles - General Posting

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By A/J/S/USNRet
  • 2 Post By rice paddy daddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 21:34   #1
Operation:Mindcrime

Do you wish you had bought a different model M1A?

What did you buy, and if you wished you had purchased another model, what was it. I guess buying it to solve the problem counts too.

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 18:32   #2
Banned

I purchased an MA9827 M1A Loaded with Full length Vltor Rail. Wanted to be able to Mount a P-22 Forward of my Leatherwood Day Scope. That part worked fine, however the Loaded Model wasn't up to Super Match Standards at Distance. (worked my butt off to stay near Gunny with his Super Match at the 300 KD Line) Went out and purchased a SA 9804 Super Match and an H2O MAN inspired Scope Mount, (Gunny needed to rebarrel to stay near me) but the German Glass Whipped His A$$.
Loaned the Loaded MA 9827 to a younger member of the Family so His Dad could take him to local club shoot's. (always nice to have another support rifle in Lineage) Needless to say time spent on the Leatherwood was Priceless for ranging experience.
It was all win, win. NEVER MEET AN M1A I DIDN'T LIKE.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 18:13   #3

Mine is a 1994 Standard Model I bought used in 2006. The only new ones available in the one local gun shop that carried them were Loaded and National Match, neither of which I wanted. They said they could order one but could not give me a delivery date.
So, when I found the very gently used one, I jumped on it. Comparing part numbers against the list on Different's website, most of mine are USGI.

Why a Standard Model? I wanted one as close as possible to the M14's that were issued to me by the Army.
The only accessories I have added are a USGI Vietnam era web sling (OD Green, of course) and an M6 bayonet. Through Charlies Surplus I obtained some proper 2 magazine pouches for my pistol belt, instead of having to cut the dividers out of GI M16 pouches made to hold three 30 rounders.
I am very satisfied.
2rangers and gunslinger71973 like this.

Old 03-29-2015, 18:27   #4
Banned

rice paddy daddy if your still in Northeast Florida I'd suggest a trip to Shooters. They are one of the first LGS on the Springfield List. Haven't heard anyone mention that Old A.L.I.C.E. Gear for some time. Did you select Olive Drab or Woodland Camo?
Old 03-30-2015, 19:17   #5

Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
Why a Standard Model? I wanted one as close as possible to the M14's that were issued to me by the Army.
That's why I bought the standard model (I was never in the military though.) I just collect service rifles so I wanted a M14 representative.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44   #6
M14 guy

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
Do you wish you had bought a different model M1A?
No, but I do wish that I had kept my standard weight 18" MK14 build.

H2O MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 19:57   #7
Banned

Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
No, but I do wish that I had kept my standard weight 18" MK14 build.
Rock and Ribordy or Smith Enterprises, this might be Rhetorical, But I had to ask.
Old 09-18-2015, 20:35   #8

I planned to buy a 22" Standard Model for the same reason rice paddy daddy described - I wanted an M1A that was very similar to the M14s I had been issued (from 1966-69). But as I looked around, the 18" Scout Squad was handier and made more sense to me in the present day. I'm glad I went with the shorter barrel.
Old 09-18-2015, 20:53   #9

I sold standard for scout/squad. Then I pulled the scout rail off and fitted a usgi hand guard to it, usgi web sling, and pulled the flipper door off the butt plate. It is all the rifle I wanted to start with. Ended up being a good move.
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:07   #10
M14 guy

I once owned two 22" rifles, a standard & medium heavy. Two 18" rifles, a standard & medium heavy, and a standard weight 16.25" rifle.

I now own two M14 rifles, a medium heavy 22" & a standard 16.25". Both are configured to drop into a single Blackfeather "RS" chassis.

H2O MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 18:34   #11

I bought the Squad Scout because that's the one I wanted. The fit and function were what appealed to me.

RC
rc229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:57   #12

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Bought a very lightly used standard model from a friend who needed $. GI sling, some mags, and correct alice pouches. Rifle shoots very well, even w/o unitizing gas system. So far about 1moa more or less, with ball ammo. Extremely pleased. Was issued M21 for a time, and it shot very well, as long as bedding wasn't disrupted. Armorer issued a knotted shoelace for cleaning, and warned I'd get an article 15 for disassembling rifle.
MOA club member
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote