LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25   #1
Registered Member
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

M1 Garand Value?

Hi folks,

I inhereted a few M1 Garands, i love them but i have no idea what they are worth and would love to at least have an idea. Hopefully someone can help me establish a value. I will provide whatever information you need, but my experiance here is very limited and i only have the information that was on a small note with each rifle.

I have 3 m1 garands,

the first:
Its labelled as a matching numbers "correct" EMcf M1 * shoots beautiful groups*

The second:

Matching numbers SA with competition heavy barrel .308 and custom fit CMP stock set. * shoots amazing groups*

The third:

matching numbers "correct" H&R high serial # *shoots beautiful groups, perfect shooter*

As i said, im sure there is MUCH more information needed to value these rifles, i will provide some pictures when i get home from work today. Is there some sort of specific shots i need to take in order to help out with determining value?

Thanks for any help that can be offered, and hopefully we can determine a value for them.

Ryan
spooksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 17:52   #2
Registered Member
Last Achievements

heres some pics at random.

Oh and the H&R is labelled incorrectly, its a high # SA

Old 07-20-2012, 16:33   #3
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

For Garand pricing I use the CMP pricing and descriptions for values since that is what I can purchase them for. "Beautiful groups" is subjective and means different things to different people. Proof of shot groupings with measurements are a better way to describe how well the rifle shoots at certain distances. The CMP uses throat erosion as the guide for grading. In regards to the H&R, I had a 1954 M1 and it was quite a shooter for me, used it in NRA highpower matches and it did everything I asked it to. Good luck on getting prices.
Old 07-22-2012, 17:57   #4
Registered Member
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

Originally Posted by gossman View Post
For Garand pricing I use the CMP pricing and descriptions for values since that is what I can purchase them for. "Beautiful groups" is subjective and means different things to different people. Proof of shot groupings with measurements are a better way to describe how well the rifle shoots at certain distances. The CMP uses throat erosion as the guide for grading. In regards to the H&R, I had a 1954 M1 and it was quite a shooter for me, used it in NRA highpower matches and it did everything I asked it to. Good luck on getting prices.
I agree! Are you trying to sell or buy? If I was going to buy, I would definitely hit CMP up first. If you are selling, hold on to them if you can for a few more years until the surplus dries up. Today is a buyers market. The pictures don't show if the weapons are correct grade or service grade. Expect only $650-1500 for them without more detailed pictures.
Snadski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 23:28   #5
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

If you wish to sell I suggest that you wait until after the election. If Obama wins again there will be panic buying and values will skyrocket as fools over purchase preparing for a apocalypse. If you wish to purchase ammo, I suggest that you do so to miss the panic purchases and empty shelves that were so common 4 years ago.
Old 08-03-2012, 22:45   #6
Registered Member
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Last Achievements

Those are nice rifles. I would say at least $1000 apeace!!
Go on to GunBroker.com and look around, those are not CMP rifles and they are very collectable. I wish I had them, good luck
wayne
waynehuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:44   #7
Points: 1,613, Level: 23 Points: 1,613, Level: 23 Points: 1,613, Level: 23
Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5% Activity: 10.5%
Last Achievements

Would guesstimate $800 and up. That is about the cheapest you will find one today. Have any more info on the one converted to 308?
-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 18:53   #8
Registered Member
Last Achievements

thanks for all the great info fellas.

Im a black rifle kind of guy so these older ones are interesting but just not my cup of tea.

I agree that the gun craze will happen if obama is re-elected, but i dont see that election actually happening so im willing to roll the dice a bit here considering i have absolutely no room in my safe.

those prices all seem low to me considering how gorgeous they are, but i suppose thats the reality of the market these days.

as far as the .308, what other info would be useful? I dont really know a whole lot about it but would be happy to look at specific things for you.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28   #9
Points: 11,417, Level: 70 Points: 11,417, Level: 70 Points: 11,417, Level: 70
Activity: 28.2% Activity: 28.2% Activity: 28.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gossman View Post
If you wish to sell I suggest that you wait until after the election. If Obama wins again there will be panic buying and values will skyrocket as fools over purchase preparing for a apocalypse. If you wish to purchase ammo, I suggest that you do so to miss the panic purchases and empty shelves that were so common 4 years ago.
Yep, he sure did sell a lot of guns the first time around! And ammo also.