M1 Garand Talk The M1 Garand - General Posting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00   #1
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

M1 manufactures

there is a garand for sale that has little info on the receiver. for most garands, the manuf data and s/n markings are on the back behind the rear sight housing from what i have seen, but this garand has markings on the left side of the receiver near the clip release button. the marking are as follows.

M-1 rifle cal. 30-06
made in the usa by C.A.I. ST. ALBANS VT
it looks like the s/n is M1 03037
the bolt carrier has the markings of
D28287-128A
S-8 or B7 with either a diamond shape, or a poor attempt of a 0.
the barrel marking of course dont mean its the original barrel, especialy since the riflings are good and extend all the way to the end of the muzzle, but the markings are as follows.
D 6535448 with what would possibly be the manuf date of 12-59 284
then it has a DK with a crown above the dk and the a M and above the M is a circle with KOA in the circle.
behind the D6535448 towards the receiver, it has another crown with what looks to VAR or WAR below the crown.

can any one tell me anything about this weapon, other than it is a garand? i have never heard of this manuf company and i almost bought a federal ord. reciever garand till i did some research and found that those weapons were imports and possibly had the reciver or barrel cut in order to meet BATF standards for import. i do not wann get burned or have to buy a ner receiver and barrel just to make this weapon safe and functional.
any help will be greatly appriciated. if you would rather speak over the phone, my number is 936-366-3024 or i can email pics, but do not know how to post pics on here yet.

thank you in advance
charles
charle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58   #2
Points: 5,060, Level: 45 Points: 5,060, Level: 45 Points: 5,060, Level: 45
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Sounds like you know a little about Garands. The only non-US Garands I know of were Danish and Italian. Since C A I is an importer I don't think they made anything. At best they rebuilt some from US and foriegn parts. The NEW Springfied Armory also produced a commercial version.

This (from another forum) may help. The OP in it also had a lack of "standard" markings. M1 Garand Danish Barrel Markings The last post talks about Century importing Danish Garands into Canada. The "VAR" (not WAR) marking is Danish!

The guys over at the CMP M1 Garand - CMP Forums may also be a good source of info.

-AimHigh
aimhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 13:59   #3
Last Achievements

aimhigh, a guy on the cmp forum said it is basicly a mixmaster of parts, but the danish barrel is sought after if its got riflings to the muzzle. this 1 has real good teeth all the way to the end. im not looking at geeting burned on a weapon nad have learned a lot through yrs of listening to my dad and oldtimers talk guns. im not that keen on a garand, but know enuf just to get in trouble with my wallet. i talked to fulton armory today and the guy there said the centry arms receiver aint much better than the fed ord receiver, as a guy on cmp said too. i realy guess i need to just buy a service grade rifle from cmp and have them replace what needs to be replaced and leave the all the wood alone. i want a battle rifle look, not a show piece. if i buy a gun, it work, will see mud and water, be wagged around the woods hunting with it. i dont buy for looks, i buy for action.
Old 12-14-2011, 15:43   #4
Last Achievements

You can't go wrong with a CMP M1 Garand. If you want a "plinker/shooter" the field-grade Springfields and HRA are great for the price. They will only go up in value. The Special grades are real good "shooters" (new barrel and new stock - both of which contribute to accuracy). Based on what you said a Field grade may suite you fine.
There is nothing to replace. If you accept their vaules for muzzle wear and throat errosion, it is very "shootable". If it doesn't work/function they will make good on it.

I bought one of the HRA Service grades when they were available and it was well worth it. The current available "service" grade SPECIALS are about $200 more than the ones that are now sold out.

Most non-GI recievers are cast, not forged. I would stay away from a Century receiver. The CMP has Springfield (original, not the current Springfield co.) receivers for $195 if you wanted to build one.

-AimHigh
Old 12-14-2011, 16:01   #5
Last Achievements

i would like to get a cmp rifle, but im not a member and only members can purchase them. im followin the methods of becoming a member, but i will be back in afghanistan before i can do anything with cmp. unless i can find someone that will sell me one, then ok, but i dont expect a member to buy one and then sell it to a non-member. it would be kinda dishonest
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03   #6
Last Achievements

aimhigh. i am getting a lot of negitive feedback on the cai receiver, not just on here, but of course on the cmp forum. i really appriciate your help. i gota find a way to get a cmp garand, but with me going back to afghanistan and not much time now, i cant get it all done yet. if anyone on this forum who has a cmp garand for sale, or will possibly have one for sale that aint much more than what it cost through cmp, i would be interested in it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37   #7
Last Achievements

charle; See the qualifications from the CMP quote below. If you are going to SWA as a GI you're covered. I wasn't a member of any "shooting club" but the US military for 24 years (ret in 96). Bottom line you qualify (see first bullet):

"Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
  • Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf "
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17   #8
Last Achievements

i did 13yrs, but did not retire. i was medicaly discharged. im contracting now, thats why im heading back again. the cmp forum for eligibility pasge aint the most easly understandable. i saw that if current military, leo, or retired. said nothing about just if you served, except it qualifies for weapons familiarity.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18   #9
Last Achievements

oh and my name is charles. i mustv not hit the S key when i typed in the username.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:31   #10
Points: 11,674, Level: 71 Points: 11,674, Level: 71 Points: 11,674, Level: 71
Last Achievements

Pass on that one and jump through the hoops to join the CMP. Well worth it, actually not hard at all. Then pick up an M1 through them. They will have Service Grades for sale again, I think after the 1st of the year? Keep watching their site. Anyway, you will be guaranteed of getting a real M1 with all USGI parts. It would be in your best interest to study the forums over there, lots of great info readily available to help you choose.

Nothing like shooting an M1. They are always a hit at the range.

Shoot customer service an email about your qualifications, they will be quick to respond and very helpful.

Good Luck! Let us know what you end up with.