Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47   #1
Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Marlin 1894C Review

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted on here, but I figured I would drop in and do a quick review of my newest rifle.

I bought this rifle a few weeks back, but finally got the chance to take it out shooting a couple days ago. It is a Remlin, and after reading about the quality drop off of the Remlins I was a wee bit concerned. I made sure to cycle the action with all the rounds that I planned on shooting prior to heading out to the country. Here were the rounds that I used and how they performed.

Federal Champion .357 158gr JSP: These were excellent rounds, they fed and performed flawlessly. They appeared to be decently powerful and we had no problems hitting 1 5/8" post caps off hand at 25yards. Although the factory adjusted sights were about 2 1/2" high at this range with all ammo tested. I did not mess with the sights as I figured that would probably put it on at 100 yards.

Federal Champion .38spc 158gr lead rn: These too performed flawlessly and had the same POI as the .357 tested. These felt almost like shooting .22lr and were probably the most fun I have ever had with a rifle.

Georgia Arms .38spc 158gr swc: These rounds were the absolute minimum length listed in the manual and as such they had a few hangups. We decided to try a little something different with these rounds. I had a leaky canteen in the back of my truck that we decided to toss up in the air and try hitting. At first this appeared to be a bit challenging, but after switching from aimed shooting to instinctive shooting (like shooting skeet with a shotgun) it turned out to be rather easy to hit. The hangups never proved to be anything other than a minor nuisance, but I would still not recommend using these rounds if you plan on doing any fast shooting. Accuracy appeared to be the same as with the earlier two rounds tested.

Final Ammo note: I purchased some Hornady 140gr lever revolution rounds. These rounds advertise great ballistics while maintaining safety in a lever action. This may be true, but these rounds proved to be very difficult to load in the lever action do to their pointy design. The point seemed to want to drive itself in between the rim of the previous round and the wall of the tube. This was such a hassle that I chose not to even try these rounds while testing.

All in all I could not be more pleased with this purchase. The gun performed better than I ever expected and the action was so smooth that I was able to take multiple shots at the canteen before it hit the ground. I don't know if this is a decent representation of the Remlins or not, but I would not hesitate to buy another one of these fine handy little rifles.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:42   #2
Points: 3,362, Level: 36 Points: 3,362, Level: 36 Points: 3,362, Level: 36
Last Achievements

Thanks for you review of the newer Marlins...

I'm glad to read that there are some good Marlins being produced.

I have an older 1894SS that I love and am looking forward to a .44mag when they become available (again?)

Lateck,
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37   #3
Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60 Points: 8,009, Level: 60
Last Achievements

I took it out again yesterday and managed to shoot a 1 1/2" group at 50yards with iron sites using the tailgate of my truck as a rest.
Old 02-10-2012, 14:16   #4
Administrator
Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
I took it out again yesterday and managed to shoot a 1 1/2" group at 50yards with iron sites using the tailgate of my truck as a rest.
1.5 inch groups at 50 yards with open sights and the truck as a rest, not bad at all.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 15:25   #5
Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32 Points: 2,832, Level: 32
Last Achievements

I bought my Marlin 1894c back in 2003. The lever-revolution round loads with ease and cycles just fine in mine. It's a good little rifle. I've mounted the Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32mm MP Red Dot on it several years ago. Great combination.
hpdrew is offline   Reply With Quote