Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 17:26   #1
Points: 3,297, Level: 35 Points: 3,297, Level: 35 Points: 3,297, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Rossi 44 mags

Does anyone have any experiance shooting 44 specials out of the Rossi mod92 .44 mags? I was wondering if the shorter overall length caused any feeding problems. I'm thinking about getting one as a companion to my .44 special Colt SAA.
larryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 13:48   #2
Last Achievements

Well a week's gone by with lots of views but no responses. :-( So I took a chance and bought a Rossi Ranch hand in .44 mag. All the articles on it have mentioned .38's out of .357 but nobody has ever mentioned .44 special out of the .44 mag. At first when I got it home last night and tried just loading and levering some rounds through it I was disappointed by the fact that the rounds weren't leaving the mag tube to be lifted by the carrier. I had to reach in and push the part that stops the rims by hand to get one to release back into the action. Once in the action it would feed into the chamber fine, even with it being a swc. I thought maybe the parts were gummed with grease or dirt and might need some rough edges broken in too so I lubed it heavily with CLP and worked the action several times with and with out rounds in it. Finally it was feeding rounds more often then not. Got to fire a half dozen rounds this morning real quick before I took off with my dad to Kalispell and I'm happy to report it worked fine for all 6 ( the mag tubes capacity). I have ordered the metal replacement mag follower from Steves Gunz Parts due to reports that the plastic one the gun comes with can swell and hang up in the tube causing missfeeds. Hopefully though it'll break in and work as well as it did this morning.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:36   #3
Points: 9,040, Level: 63 Points: 9,040, Level: 63 Points: 9,040, Level: 63
Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by larryp View Post
Well a week's gone by with lots of views but no responses. :-( So I took a chance and bought a Rossi Ranch hand in .44 mag. All the articles on it have mentioned .38's out of .357 but nobody has ever mentioned .44 special out of the .44 mag. At first when I got it home last night and tried just loading and levering some rounds through it I was disappointed by the fact that the rounds weren't leaving the mag tube to be lifted by the carrier. I had to reach in and push the part that stops the rims by hand to get one to release back into the action. Once in the action it would feed into the chamber fine, even with it being a swc. I thought maybe the parts were gummed with grease or dirt and might need some rough edges broken in too so I lubed it heavily with CLP and worked the action several times with and with out rounds in it. Finally it was feeding rounds more often then not. Got to fire a half dozen rounds this morning real quick before I took off with my dad to Kalispell and I'm happy to report it worked fine for all 6 ( the mag tubes capacity). I have ordered the metal replacement mag follower from Steves Gunz Parts due to reports that the plastic one the gun comes with can swell and hang up in the tube causing missfeeds. Hopefully though it'll break in and work as well as it did this morning.

My cousin bought a stainless .357 Mag Rossie . It was having problems until it had been cycled some & then it cleared up .

I have a Marlin .44 Mag . Stout kicking little rifle . Have you shot any 100% .44 Mag loads in it , yet ?

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:09   #4
Last Achievements

No I bought it with the intention of running special rounds so I can use the same ammo as my Colt. My handloads are hotter than factory but not up to the "Elmer Keith" type. It's functioning 100% so far in actual shooting. I installed the Steve's Gunz follower and his plug that replaces the safety on the bolt. I also got his video that shows how to smooth up the action and intend to use it one of these days when I can have a day off without being stuck with a ton of stuff to do. I also found that by loading the shorter special rounds that I can fit an extra round in the tube magazine. The gun shoots real high and from what I've read this is comman with the Rossi's so I'll be buying from Steve's Gunz again as they have front sights that are taller to compensate for this.
Old 12-10-2011, 14:31   #5
Last Achievements

No I bought it with the intention of running special rounds so I can use the same ammo as my Colt. My handloads are hotter than factory but not up to the "Elmer Keith" type. It's functioning 100% so far in actual shooting. I installed the Steve's Gunz follower and his plug that replaces the safety on the bolt. I also got his video that shows how to smooth up the action and intend to use it one of these days when I can have a day off without being stuck with a ton of stuff to do. I also found that by loading the shorter special rounds that I can fit an extra round in the tube magazine. The gun shoots real high and from what I've read this is comman with the Rossi's so I'll be buying from Steve's Gunz again as they have front sights that are taller to compensate for this.

I have a lot more .38 Special brass , than .357 Mag brass . I load the .38 Special brass with the total OAL of the finished ammo , to ~ the same OAL as .357 Mag ammo .

So , I never had to worry about .38 specials feeding through the Rossi .

I have shot a few .38's through it & it feed OK .

If you are loading hotter than the .44 Special & less than .44 Mag , I would use Unique .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 01-30-2012 at 03:22.
Old 12-15-2011, 20:30   #6
Last Achievements

I've seen where others use Unique for a +p load for the .44 special. I'll have to get some and try it out. At the moment I load 12 grains of 2400 under an Oregon Trail 240gr. SWC. I have a bunch of 2400 on hand from back when I hot loaded the .45 Colt out of an old model Ruger Vaquero so I'm using it up. My goal is a 240 gr. slug at about 850-900fps for an all around "woods bumming" load for my 3rd generation Colt SAA with it's 5 1/2" barrel.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29   #7
Last Achievements

Unique

I've seen where others use Unique for a +p load for the .44 special. I'll have to get some and try it out. At the moment I load 12 grains of 2400 under an Oregon Trail 240gr. SWC. I have a bunch of 2400 on hand from back when I hot loaded the .45 Colt out of an old model Ruger Vaquero so I'm using it up. My goal is a 240 gr. slug at about 850-900fps for an all around "woods bumming" load for my 3rd generation Colt SAA with it's 5 1/2" barrel.
2400 & H110 are often used for Magnum loads .

Unique will not safely give 100% magnum velocities , but for less than 100% , works great .

It is economical ( less powder per round ) . Some complain it is dirty . Doesn't bother me , just clean your gun .

I think I have read there is a " new " version that is suppose to be cleaner ?

I use Unique in several calibers , including cream puff .45-70 loads .

I have a .357 Mag and .45 LC Rossi Lever gun . Love them both & shoot Unique in both , with home cast bullets .

My .44 Mag lever gun is a Marlin . But I have never shot .44 Specials in it . Do not think I even have any .44 Special brass ?

God bless
Wyr
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38   #8
Last Achievements

I've settled on the Skeeter Skelton load of 7 1/2 gr of unique behind a 240 gr swc. It works great out of the ranch hand and my colt both. The canister of powder I bought is labeled as being the cleaner version and doesn't seem bad to me.